Question? Glow plug damage after leaving key on?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Question? Glow plug damage after leaving key on?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:38 AM
    Thanks

Question? Glow plug damage after leaving key on?

Somehow or the other, the key in my JD 1025R was left in the glow plug position over night... killed the battery. Took battery out and trickle charged it for almost two days until fully charged the battery. I put the battery back in the tractor, connected it up and tractor cranked right up.
    My question is did this fiasco hurt the glow plug in any way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

John Deere 1025R / 60D AutoConnect Mower / H120 Loader / KBOH / Piranha Tooth Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:05 PM
    Thanks
    I would think you just drained the battery. Once the glow plugs cycled, they turned off.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. The Following User Says Thank You to glc For This Useful Post:

bama21fs (03-31-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    The glow plugs only run for a few seconds then shut off. At least they're suppose too.
    glc, etcallhome, North585 and 2 others like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kylew For This Useful Post:

bama21fs (03-31-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 06:33 AM
    Thanks
    I was under the impression the glow cycle was timed. You have to turn the key off and back on to recycle.
    glc, etcallhome, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2012 John Deere 2320 with FEL & 54” MMM
    Previously 2007 JD 2305
    Previously 2003 JD 2210
    Previously 1993 JD 265

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HVACguy For This Useful Post:

bama21fs (03-31-2019)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    It shouldn't have hurt the glow plugs but....

The glow plugs are activated via a relay (aka a solenoid). When you turn the key the solenoid activates and that provides power to the glow plugs. But there is a timer on the glow plug side of that solenoid. After about 30 seconds the solenoid drops out and power to the glow plugs stops (that's when you see the light on your dash drop off.) That should protect your glow plugs when something like this happens.

It is possible that the solenoid could be damaged though. The whole time that key was in the "On" position it was providing power to the solenoid. That's why your battery got drained.

If your glow plugs are now working properly then you're probably fine. But keep all of this in mind for the future. If they act up in a month (or year!) then I'd focus on that solenoid as your prime suspect. It is much more likely that any damage would be to the solenoid than the glow plugs themselves.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:38 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

The glow plugs are activated via a relay (aka a solenoid). When you turn the key the solenoid activates and that provides power to the glow plugs. But there is a timer on the glow plug side of that solenoid. After about 30 seconds the solenoid drops out and power to the glow plugs stops (that's when you see the light on your dash drop off.) That should protect your glow plugs when something like this happens.

It is possible that the solenoid could be damaged though. The whole time that key was in the "On" position it was providing power to the solenoid. That's why your battery got drained.

If your glow plugs are now working properly then you're probably fine. But keep all of this in mind for the future. If they act up in a month (or year!) then I'd focus on that solenoid as your prime suspect. It is much more likely that any damage would be to the solenoid than the glow plugs themselves.
    Thank You So Much!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    glc, DRobinson, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    Jamie

John Deere 1025R / 60D AutoConnect Mower / H120 Loader / KBOH / Piranha Tooth Bar

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    This is just one of many instances here on GTT where the brilliant members can answer just about anything.
    Chris

2019 4052R/Cab, iMatch QH, 440R Loader w/BW16358 Bucket(Got Loops) , Frontier RB5072 Blade, Frontier LP1184 Land Plane, Front moveable fenders, Rear fender extensions, Dual Exterior mirrors,Ballast Box BW15073, Dual rear work lights(LVB24853), JD Hammerstrap, R2 4" Edge Tamers, (coming soon: Weather radar,FLIR,HUD, Chocolate bar & "Manpon" dispensers)

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

JimR ~ I have a followup question related to the above. So when does power to the relay/solenoid cease since the ignition key remains in the same 'on' position during operation?
    etcallhome and Robnik like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
    JimR ~ I have a followup question related to the above. So when does power to the relay/solenoid cease since the ignition key remains in the same 'on' position during operation?
    I'd have to go back through the tech manual again but my understanding of the system is that once you turn the key to the "Start" position to engage the starter the solenoid gets cut back out. As long as the engine is running it won't kick back in again. That also protects the glow plugs so that they aren't running if you don't wait out the timer and just start the engine.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Fuel pump?

Doesn't the fuel pump run continuously when the ignition is in the "run" position?
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast