John Deere Techs? Painting new wheel weights prior to installation?
Like Tree25Likes
  • 2 Post By trhinehart35
  • 3 Post By keane
  • 2 Post By Herminator
  • 3 Post By MDrew
  • 3 Post By kylew
  • 4 Post By Brownie919
  • 3 Post By TJR345
  • 3 Post By Herminator
  • 2 Post By trhinehart35

Thread: John Deere Techs? Painting new wheel weights prior to installation?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks

John Deere Techs? Painting new wheel weights prior to installation?

Any Deere Techs on here? I was at my dealer yesterday looking over my tractor. They are in the process of setting up my tractor and I noticed they had my wheel weights on the floor getting spray painted. Is this normal or am I getting a used set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mar524ak and Herminator like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trhinehart35 View Post
    Any Deere Techs on here? I was at my dealer yesterday looking over my tractor. They are in the process of setting up my tractor and I noticed they had my wheel weights on the floor getting spray painted. Is this normal or am I getting a used set?

I have never painted wheel weight before install. Unless they got really scratched up on the yard or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks
    I wish my dealer had touched up the paint before delivery on my tractor and implements. I felt like I was paying the "new" price for something used and abused.

With that extra paint, each weight weighs a little more. You are getting more than you paid for.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    I doubt you are getting a used set but in reality would it matter? But yes I get it.

I bought 10 suitcase weights and the paint was just ok. I think you might have a dealer that just wanted it to look good when you brought it home. I suspect the paint is just ok because they cannot powder coat them, well maybe they could but I think when powder coating the metal has to be brought up to around 300 degrees. Weights would take a lot of time and energy to get there.
    Last edited by Herminator; 04-05-2019 at 11:58 PM.
    DRobinson and mark02tj like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    I doubt you are getting a used set but in reality would it matter? But yes I get it.

I bought 10 suitcase weights and the paint was just ok. I think you might have a dealer that just wanted it to look good when you brought it home. I suspect the paint is just ok because they cannot powder coat them, well maybe they could but I think when powder coating the metal has to be brought up to around 300 degrees. Weights would take a lot of time and energy to get there.
    The part has to be about 400 degrees. I don't even want to think about how long it would take to get a weight to temp. Sooner or later I'll find out.
    mark02tj, johnH123 and Herminator like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MDrew For This Useful Post:

Herminator (04-06-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:18 AM
    Thanks
    I'm not a Deere tech, but when I got my wheels weights the dealer had to order them in and that took a couple weeks because they were backordered. When they came in, he emailed me and I picked them up after work. When I got there first thing he said was I'm glad you didn't come in right away. They came in boxes and the boxes get torn up in shipping (mine are 72 lbs each) so that gave them the day to let the paint dry from touching then up. I thought that was very courteous.

Sounds like your dealer probably got them with a little scuffing also, and was just trying to make them look nice. I'd say kudos to the dealer. Small details like that is what helps build good relations with a dealer & customer.

Since you say they painted them, I'm guessing they are the 50# or 72# cast iron weights, and not the 50# plastic encased weights. Honestly with the cast iron weights, to me it wouldn't matter if they were new or used. I would tend to lean to getting new unless I stumbled across a good set of used at a great price. Because....

1) They are difficult to find at a price that is much less than what a dealer charges for new. When I do find them, 99% of the time they want nearly the same price as new, and 99% of the time they need to be sanded and painted anyways.
    2) They're just chunks of iron. Mis-shapened castings rarely leave the factory, and the only real defect I can think of we'd see in the field is a bad casting that causes a piece to break off or split in half. As long as there are no signs of abuse I would think any reputable dealer would take care of that. Plus, you're buying them from your dealer so you're going to get some kind of warrenty versus buying used off the street where you get nothing.

I'd say don't fret about it and tractor on
    BigJim55, Herminator and Toughsox like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    I'm not a tech but I work for a dealership. A lot of times weights get shipped loose in a wooden crate. They get scratched and scuffed. Our shop would definitely hit them with spray paint before sending them out.
    2001 4300 SyncReverser 430 Loader/48 Backhoe
    Walker MC20 Zero Turn

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brownie919 For This Useful Post:

Herminator (04-06-2019), kylew (04-06-2019)

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:33 PM
    Thanks
    The last time I bought 50 lb wheel weight from the dealer they weren't banged up but the paint on one side seemed like it was a flat finish and the other side was better.I gave them a coat before installing.
    DRobinson, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:39 PM
    Thanks
    The reality is that compact and garden tractor owners would be a far worse group to sell to than large ag. Large ag pays them better, has more service done and is not worried about a scratch. It is making the owner money and they are far more concerned with function. They are going to sit out at night in the field and not be worried about.

What we buy is like collector cars. Of course they get used but there are expensive without a return in the sense of a profit. They reduce risk and they give us much more free time and enjoyment similar to those who ski, boat, car, quad or fly a plane but it is not profit in a physical way you can notice in the form of a check. People are picky about their hobbies so I am sure we are tougher on our dealers than we should be sometimes. To their credit there are two dealers I see the most and they are both very good to me.

Honestly I was in the middle of nowhere a month ago and I needed to use a desk and a place to work on my computer for an hour. I walked into a dealer that I have no idea who they were nor them me and I bought a couple filters I needed and asked the guy in parts if there was a place I could use. Without hesitation he took me to a conference room and told me to use it as long as I needed. That to me was first class.
    Last edited by Herminator; 04-11-2019 at 03:46 PM.
    DRobinson, kylew and Toughsox like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the answers guys. After finding out about the weights getting scratched and then seeing the almost finished tractor the other day I figure it is just the dealer making sure it is perfect. They did an outstanding job on everything and even replaced the steering wheel because it was grey and not black. (Tractor was built in September of 18 so it sat outside for some time)

DRobinson and kylew like this.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements