Virtual Reality to build tractors...
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By 56Nine
  • 1 Post By Oscar Leroy
  • 1 Post By mjncad

Thread: Virtual Reality to build tractors...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks

Virtual Reality to build tractors...

Though some of you might enjoy this article (Using Virtual Reality to Build the Next Generation Tractor | The John Deere Journal) and included video explaining how John Deere is using virtual reality in designing their tractors.

A few years back, a friend of mine received his PhD in engineering working in the one of the few VR facilities at Iowa State, to virtually crawl inside their cotton harvesters to make the material flow more efficient. I have no idea what it was like inside the VR visor, but the video display was quite impressive for the day, NOTHING like the one above.
    mjncad, keane, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 56Nine For This Useful Post:

Herminator (04-11-2019), mjncad (04-12-2019), Oscar Leroy (04-11-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Thanks
    Very cool stuff, it has so much potential! I work in an engineering school at a large private university, and they have a virtual reality "room." It's like frosted glass on all 6 sides, with computers driving projectors for each side. All of the computers are networked together and form an "immersive virtual environment" that you can walk around in. It has hand controls so you can interact with the software/environment. They aren't using it for agricultural purposes, but they do use it in a wide variety of applications (including something called DIVEcraft, a port of the Minecraft game - you knew someone would make a computer game for it!).

At some level, I think a headset is a more natural environment for something like this. Standing in the middle of a small room with the tractor projected on the wall doesn't have the same effect as having it in your face.

Thanks for sharing this!
    mjncad likes this.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    This technology keeps getting better. It looks like it still needs collision detection as I thought I saw some parts going through other components as the guy was pulling out the air filter and manipulating the impact gun.

I also wonder how advanced the haptic technology is to give one a feel for hucking an awkward and heavy component in and out of place during servicing simulations.

Oscar Leroy likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements