• 1 Post By sennister
  • 1 Post By ttazzman

Thread: 4700 maxed out temp gauge

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks

4700 maxed out temp gauge

I have a 4700 with power reverser transmission and 1009hrs. The temp gauge will go into the red within 3-5 minutes after cold start. Engine is still cold to touch. Replaced the sending unit but problem still exists. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:55 PM
    Thanks
    My guess is either a bad wire or bad gauge. If you can, trace the wire to see if it is shorting somewhere.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    sounds like a bad egg tractor..... ....i have been looking for a 4700 to replace my 4500 ....love the 4500 but would like a tad more HP

if its not really overheating.....its gotta be ...sender...wire...gauge ...or a issue with the whole instrument cluster

but since its taking 3-5 min to (over heat) it sounds more like a real issue of overheating possibly a stuck thermostat ...but if you say the engine is cold.....hmmmm

i will check my manual for any clues tommorow ....could be as simple as moisture in the cluster

if you dont get a more answers you might post this to the LCUT tractor forum in here
    Last edited by ttazzman; 04-19-2019 at 01:26 AM.
    mjncad, PJR832 and tdog032370 like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    My guess is either a bad wire or bad gauge. If you can, trace the wire to see if it is shorting somewhere.
    The gauge always slowly goes to hot. If it is a short, wouldnít it jump immediately to hot?

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    sounds like a bad egg tractor..... ....i have been looking for a 4700 to replace my 4500 ....love the 4500 but would like a tad more HP

if its not really overheating.....its gotta be ...sender...wire...gauge ...or a issue with the whole instrument cluster

but since its taking 3-5 min to (over heat) it sounds more like a real issue of overheating possibly a stuck thermostat ...but if you say the engine is cold.....hmmmm

i will check my manual for any clues tommorow ....could be as simple as moisture in the cluster

if you dont get a more answers you might post this to the LCUT tractor forum in here
    Iíve noticed in the past that after Iíve ran it for a few hours the cluster gets a little foggy looking.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    05-20-2019 @ 06:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdog032370 View Post
    The gauge always slowly goes to hot. If it is a short, wouldnít it jump immediately to hot?
    Not necessarily. Many gauges for mobile applications are heavily damped in order to minimize the effects of vibration and inertia.

Al
    tdog032370 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Thanks
    Totally different series but my X585 would do this. It was fine if the tractor was just running but if the PTO was on it would slowly peg out the temp gauge. It could be a 90F+ day and I would be out there mowing, notice it pegged and turn off the PTO leaving the RPMs up and the temp would drop to normal. I took it in as I didn't have time to mess with telling them it was electrical and the symptoms. It is a long story but they replaced the temp sending unit, cleaned the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Of those the only one that really made sense was maybe the sending unit. Anyhow the problem was never fixed. I never took it back. I knew it wasn't overheating and eventually some of the other gauges started flaking out like the fuel gauge. There was a known problem about an inadequate ground wire for the dash as well as documented instrument cluster issues. I eventually bought my Z950R to where I could be without the X585 for a few weeks and took at month to go through it addressing this issue along with several other stuff like some surface rust and such. I ended up fixing the dash by desoldering and resoldering the points where the instrument cluster connects to the wiring harness. There were signs of stress fractures in the points most likely because of vibrations. I also spliced in a new ground wire as well to the ground wire in the harness right next to the connector to the cluster. The overheating issue has gone away.
    wildbranch2007 and tdog032370 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

tdog032370†(04-23-2019)

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    Totally different series but my X585 would do this. It was fine if the tractor was just running but if the PTO was on it would slowly peg out the temp gauge. It could be a 90F+ day and I would be out there mowing, notice it pegged and turn off the PTO leaving the RPMs up and the temp would drop to normal. I took it in as I didn't have time to mess with telling them it was electrical and the symptoms. It is a long story but they replaced the temp sending unit, cleaned the radiator and replaced the thermostat. Of those the only one that really made sense was maybe the sending unit. Anyhow the problem was never fixed. I never took it back. I knew it wasn't overheating and eventually some of the other gauges started flaking out like the fuel gauge. There was a known problem about an inadequate ground wire for the dash as well as documented instrument cluster issues. I eventually bought my Z950R to where I could be without the X585 for a few weeks and took at month to go through it addressing this issue along with several other stuff like some surface rust and such. I ended up fixing the dash by desoldering and resoldering the points where the instrument cluster connects to the wiring harness. There were signs of stress fractures in the points most likely because of vibrations. I also spliced in a new ground wire as well to the ground wire in the harness right next to the connector to the cluster. The overheating issue has gone away.
    Iím feel certain now itís in the cluster....$980 to replace it at the dealership!

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tdog032370 View Post
    Iím feel certain now itís in the cluster....$980 to replace it at the dealership!

The one for my tractor wasn't that much I don't think. I want to say $400 for some reason. The way I looked at it was if I wanted to fix it, I might as well go in and resolder it first. Best case it works. Worst case, I spend the money on the new one anyhow. However I don't know your skill set or what you have. I have a digital solder station so I could control the heat a lot better than a cheap soldering iron. I have also repaired several clusters in the past on GM vehicles when stepper motors have failed and the digital displays for the odometer/gear position. So the tractor cluster repair was pretty easy.

Oh, I remember doing a thread on the refurb project.

Refreshing a X585

It was a pretty big project with only one small part being the cluster work. Here is where I started posting pictures of what was wrong with the cluster.

Refreshing a X585 - Page 3
    tdog032370 likes this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 60" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, Sprayer cart

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Last edited by ttazzman; 04-23-2019 at 09:33 PM.
    tdog032370 likes this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements