Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: R3 turf bias ply vs R3 turf radial

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 01:43 AM
    Thanks

R3 turf bias ply vs R3 turf radial

I'm sure there most be a post about this somewhere but I couldn't find it so I'm going to ask...

Which one and why?

Logic said bias because it looks like it will be easier on the grass and I will be using this to mow. And lots of people say how surprisingly good they are in the snow.

But those radials look so badass and like a good compromise between the R3 bias and R4 industrial.

I really want the radials, but I'm thinking the bias is the better option for me... *bangs head on wall*

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:49 PM
    Thanks
    I haven't been able to find an R3 radial that will fit the rims on a 1025R or a subcompact. Are they available from somewhere now?
    2019 John Deere 2032R R3 Radials w/ 220R Loader
    60D AutoConnect mower
    Dual rear SCVs and power beyond
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    iMatch
    John Deere Ballast Box
    Frontier AP10F 42" Pallet Forks
    Land Pride BB1260
    CountyLine 4' tiller
    Homemade 5' land plane
    Homemade three point weight bracket\receiver hitch
    Aftermarket LED rear and front lights

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    I believe they are an option now on new tractors. Not sure if they require a different rim or not. I'm coming from a Kubota that had turfs and the turfs on my 2025r are a lot more aggressive. If you are mowing a lot, I personally wouldn't want a more aggressive tire. Mine are not the radials either.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    I have the R3 radials on my 2038. I like them but I only have 45 hours on them.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-15-2019 @ 09:16 AM
    Thanks
    What is the benefit of a radial tire on a tractor?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    theduke likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:19 PM
    Thanks

Tires

Hello. The difference in the tires is the ride. The r3 have a little more flex in them the r4 that are on your tractor? The r4 are a great all around tire if you are doing alot of grading or live in a rocky area, like I do and I have a lot of trees on mine too. > went with the r4 for what I have been doing but I am going to get the r3 one of these days. The r4 are supposed to be mkre punctture resistant but i got a hole in mine from a sharp rock almost as soon as I got the tractor. Owell

Anyway, the r3 have great traction and a smoother ride and neither tire will hurt the grass. Unless you are driving over the same line and turning in the same spot. Any tire will eventually wear out the grass. I mow with my r4 and the fel and bh on. I only take the mmm off when i am done mowing. My dirt is mostly clay so the grass roots are nit deep at all and I have a designated path I drive on when hauling material from one side to the other.

Here is a link that sells tires for your stock rims. You can also get them online from kenda. My john deere dealer will get them for me also. The prices might have changed as i copied this link a few years ago.

https://www.palmettospecialtytire.co...c-turf-tire-b/

I can never figure out how to make it a just click on and go but thats the place and tire size.

Good luck
    Wentonbrown
    mark02tj, jdforever, Jep and 1 others like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wentonbrown View Post
    Hello. The difference in the tires is the ride. The r3 have a little more flex in them the r4 that are on your tractor? The r4 are a great all around tire if you are doing alot of grading or live in a rocky area, like I do and I have a lot of trees on mine too. > went with the r4 for what I have been doing but I am going to get the r3 one of these days. The r4 are supposed to be mkre punctture resistant but i got a hole in mine from a sharp rock almost as soon as I got the tractor. Owell

Anyway, the r3 have great traction and a smoother ride and neither tire will hurt the grass. Unless you are driving over the same line and turning in the same spot. Any tire will eventually wear out the grass. I mow with my r4 and the fel and bh on. I only take the mmm off when i am done mowing. My dirt is mostly clay so the grass roots are nit deep at all and I have a designated path I drive on when hauling material from one side to the other.

Here is a link that sells tires for your stock rims. You can also get them online from kenda. My john deere dealer will get them for me also. The prices might have changed as i copied this link a few years ago.

https://www.palmettospecialtytire.co...c-turf-tire-b/

I can never figure out how to make it a just click on and go but thats the place and tire size.

Good luck
    Wentonbrown
    I didn't ask about R4's.

I asked about the 2 different R3 tires.

Thank you for your lengthy reply though.

jdforever and wentonbrown like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan_Bate View Post
    I didn't ask about R4's.

I asked about the 2 different R3 tires.

Thank you for your lengthy reply though.

Radials have some advantage in flotation and traction because they are a bit more flexible. That leads to a longer footprint on the ground. I don't know how much advantage it would be on a smaller tractor but on larger stuff, it's very, very noticeable. There is also some difference in ride because of the flexibility. Interestingly, the manufacturers can't slap the exact same tread from a bias tire onto a radial because of the difference in the way the tires flex will lead to cracking so there is usually some subtle differences in the tread, mostly in the shoulder area.

In theory, the radials are a better tire with one exception. If you do a lot of sidehill work, you may want bias because they have less sideways squirm. Again, I'm not sure how pronounced that would be in smaller tires but my friends in the mountains tell me it's a definite difference for their farm tractors.

Treefarmer
    mark02tj and jdforever like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Thanks
    Radials have more flexible sidewalls than bias and can run at lower inflation pressures creating a bigger footprint on the ground.
    They are also less prone to impact damage.
    Radials run cooler and last longer on the road too.
    The only real disadvantage to radials is the higher initial purchase price.

JD 110H, 140H3, & 318 w/ 23HP Vanguard
    110H, 140H3, & 318
    Bigfoot Brent on WFM

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    From my local JD dealer, the radials are actually the cheapest of the 3.

I was more so wondering what the real world opinions where of the 2 different R3 tires.

I'm very aware of bias vs radial tires in general from my years of offroading.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast