Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Winter operation...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks

Winter operation...

So, I just bought a 2019 1023E. Now that it's spring, it might seem a little premature to you southeners to be asking about winter operation but this is Minnesota and we prepare for winter year round. As we say..."3 months of winter and 9 months of bad sledding". In point of fact, it snowed here about a week ago.

If I'm going to use this tractor in a Minnesota winter, do I need a block heater on the engine?
    Toughsox likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Itís a good idea, but Iíve honestly never had a problem without one down to -20. Thatís as cold as it gets here.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    If you have a place to plug it in a block heater will make a huge difference. Yes, it will probably still start in very cold temperatures but the block heater will minimize the amount of black smoke, coughing and sputtering until it gets going.

Make sure you have some winter fuel treatment on hand and be sure to treat your fuel before it gets super cold. I use the JD-branded Fuel Protect - Winter Blend all year round but if you ask 10 people what they use you'll probably get 9 different answers.

If possible, keep your battery on a battery tender during the winter months. I use a Battery Tender Jr. It really makes a difference in helping to keep your battery in peak condition during the cold weather.

Also, have a couple spare fuel filters on hand. Should the unthinkable happen and your fuel jells up despite being treated you will likely need to swap fuel filters to get it going.
    PaDave, jdforever, keane and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If you have a place to plug it in a block heater will make a huge difference. Yes, it will probably still start in very cold temperatures but the block heater will minimize the amount of black smoke, coughing and sputtering until it gets going.

Make sure you have some winter fuel treatment on hand and be sure to treat your fuel before it gets super cold. I use the JD-branded Fuel Protect - Winter Blend all year round but if you ask 10 people what they use you'll probably get 9 different answers.

If possible, keep your battery on a battery tender during the winter months. I use a Battery Tender Jr. It really makes a difference in helping to keep your battery in peak condition during the cold weather.

Also, have a couple spare fuel filters on hand. Should the unthinkable happen and your fuel jells up despite being treated you will likely need to swap fuel filters to get it going.
    Concise succinct advise.
    jdforever likes this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

Thank you. My dealer mentioned that he has some kind of fuel treatment that he recommends for use during the period between when the stations switch over to summer blend and winter is still raging. End of winter is not always a predictable event around here. As to battery charging...I have a wide variety of 12-volt rolling stock around here and have a veritable fleet of Battery Tenders. All of those vehicles have dangling two-prong pigtails, and this 1023E will have one soon too. Great tip on the extra fuel filters. I'm a diesel newbie.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:36 PM
    Thanks
    I use the Deere winter fuel treatment year round, keeps me from getting caught out without treated fuel when it gets cold.
    2038R
    72" MMM, iMatch Quick Hitch, RB2072 rear blade, BB2072 box blade, PHD200 w/9" auger, AF10F front blade, AP12F pallet forks, ballast box, Heavy Hitch, Titan 68" flail mower, Fit Rite TnT
    Z930M, 60" MOD, adjustable suspension seat
    The ranch has:
    1 flaming redheaded wife, 2 semi-feral children, 4 barn cats, 3 pups, 3 horses, 1 donkey, 1 duck and a dozen chickens

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Where is the 1023 kept? Outside or in a heated area?

The coldest mine ever gets is 45 degrees so nothing is obviously needed and I run regular HyGard oil rather than the Low viscosity too.
    JD 2305
    2018 JD X758
    Simplicity Conquest W/turbo bagger
    Iron & Oak commercial splitter W/ hydro 4 way and log lift
    Husqvarna 346 XP ported x2, 357XP x 2, 562XPG, 372XPG, 288XP ported, 395XP NIB,
    Jred 2159 ported
    Echo CS 355T, & pole saw
    F250 Super Duty CC 8' box and 10,000# 18' trailer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    ND here, I keep mine in an insulated attached garage, so it stays above freezing. Block heater is not required in that case.
    I do have one though, because I live in ND, and you never know.

So yes, I would get one. VERY cheap insurance for that time you don't know is coming.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    So, I just bought a 2019 1023E. Now that it's spring, it might seem a little premature to you southeners to be asking about winter operation but this is Minnesota and we prepare for winter year round. As we say..."3 months of winter and 9 months of bad sledding". In point of fact, it snowed here about a week ago.

If I'm going to use this tractor in a Minnesota winter, do I need a block heater on the engine?
    I usually run mine on the 4510 if its below 30 degrees, because it starts really nicely and gets the oil moving faster.

I'm in Indiana btw.
    SRG likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewood Bandit View Post
    Where is the 1023 kept? Outside or in a heated area?

The coldest mine ever gets is 45 degrees so nothing is obviously needed and I run regular HyGard oil rather than the Low viscosity too.
    My tractor is kept in an unheated garage. We can usually expect a few winter days at -30F, sometimes more. This past winter we did get a day or two at -44F. That's pretty unusual.

I'll have to ask the dealer about cost to install.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast