OK...Ballast is a real thing....
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: OK...Ballast is a real thing....

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks

OK...Ballast is a real thing....

I had 10 yards of black dirt that I had to move around as part of my yard rehab project. Yesterday, I noted that a full bucket of dirt made that 1023E really squirrely driving across the yard. So first thing this morning after I got home from work, I put the brand new ballast box (that I bought because everyone here on GTT kept talking about how important they are) on the iMatch and took it back to the corner where I have a nice pile of pea rock....shoveled it into the BB and the drove over to where my son had delivered the dirt. This was the maiden voyage of the ballast box. I confess...although I intellectually understood the concept of ballast on these tractors, I'm a total noob at tractors and I was shocked at the difference that that ballast made in the handling and the safety of that little 1023E. Today I moved about 7 yards if dirt and it went perfectly (and safely).

glc, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 32 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (06-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,456 Times in 1,581 Posts
    YES someone finally listened to what we told them ....

Glad to hear , all is safe.

As you said using ballast makes a world of difference, plus it saves your tractor , and possibly you if tractor rolls on its side.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, OxPath and 11 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:19 PM
    Thanks
    The important thing is not how you learn, but that you learn. Good work.

For me I wish for some scales so I can figure the correct ballast accurately. Just call me OCD.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rtgt and 9 others like this.
    2032R, 220R FEL, 270B Backhoe, RT1157 Tiller, 59" 2000 Snow Blower, LR 2072 Rake, OTC Cab, CL Subsoiler, 3pt Tow Hitch, UA 42" Forks, IMatch with Kenny's Hook, Kenny's Bolt-On Hooks

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:59 PM
    Thanks
    Yep. Makes a major difference

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2012 1023E, 60d MMM, H120 Loader

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    Should feel a big difference in ability to penetrate the pile with the front bucket with ballast as well.
    These little machines sure make the yard chores a lot easier eh?
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:06 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Should feel a big difference in ability to penetrate the pile with the front bucket with ballast as well.
    These little machines sure make the yard chores a lot easier eh?
    Y'know....now that you mention, I did see that. The buckets today were noticeably fuller. I thought it was because I was just getting better, but I think you're right.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, rtgt and 3 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    ... I intellectually understood the concept of ballast on these tractors, I'm a total noob at tractors and I was shocked at the difference that that ballast made in the handling and the safety of that little 1023E. ...
    I know what you mean, sometimes it just takes a little real world experience to have the "a ha" moment that convinces you of what you already know, and then it becomes part of you.

I'm an engineer, I understand *intellectually* the importance of ballast, statics and dynamics, etc., but that doesn't mean that I won't push the envelope a bit until that epiphany occurs. Last year I was unloading a rear finish mower from my truck without ballast (it was just a quick move after all), all was fine until I decided to get off and push the load a little sideways to "balance" it on the forks and nearly tipped the whole thing over! I still didn't learn my lesson and proceeded to move it to the backyard, still without ballast, and the rear tires were spinning, I had to use the diff lock just to move on level ground! -- OK, I got it. The laws of physics aren't suspended just because I'm in a hurry. I now go through the trouble of ballasting each and every time. Much safer, and more satisfying.
    Jonathan

2016 1025R FITLB : OTC (winter only) : AF10F front blade : Titan 42" forks : 60" First Choice RFM : KK 48" Tiller : EA 60" Pine Straw Rake : 60" Landscape Rake : Pat's Hooks : HH w/ 12 42# weights : KK Ripper/Potato Plow : Loaded Rears with 50# weights : Ken's Hooks, springs and straps : HH Tooth Bar : Edge Tamers : BXPanded 6" bucket w/coupler
    2014 X320 : Johnny Plow/Johnny Bucket : Bagger

11. The Following User Says Thank You to marlinguidegun For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (06-02-2019)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks

Should be written on the wall somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by marlinguidegun View Post
    I know what you mean, sometimes it just takes a little real world experience to have the "a ha" moment that convinces you of what you already know, and then it becomes part of you.

I'm an engineer, I understand *intellectually* the importance of ballast, statics and dynamics, etc., but that doesn't mean that I won't push the envelope a bit until that epiphany occurs. Last year I was unloading a rear finish mower from my truck without ballast (it was just a quick move after all), all was fine until I decided to get off and push the load a little sideways to "balance" it on the forks and nearly tipped the whole thing over! I still didn't learn my lesson and proceeded to move it to the backyard, still without ballast, and the rear tires were spinning, I had to use the diff lock just to move on level ground! -- OK, I got it. The laws of physics aren't suspended just because I'm in a hurry. I now go through the trouble of ballasting each and every time. Much safer, and more satisfying.
    "The laws of physics aren't suspended just because I'm in a hurry" should be on a sticker on tractors, in the manual and written on the wall of tractor storage. It's just a perfect reminder to us all.

Thank you.

Treefarmer
    DRobinson, BigJim55, keane and 5 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:52 PM
    Thanks
    A tractor has no suspension like a car or truck, so front axle has a pivot point in the center to allow the front tires to move up and down and all four wheels to stay on the ground as you go over slightly uneven terrain. That pivot means the rear tires are almost solely responsible to maintain side to side stability.

The heavier you load the loader bucket, the more weight you put on the front tires but take off of the rear tires. That can leave the tractor kinda balancing on the front axle, both front to rear but more importantly side to side on that pivot point. The higher you lift the heavy loader bucket, the more that few inches of pivot becomes amplified, a few inches of pivot down at the frame can become a couple feet of side to side motion on the raised loader bucket. It's literally a recipe for instability.

Rear ballast is VERY important when using a loader.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, PJR832 and 2 others like this.
    2008 John Deere 2305, 200CX loader, 62C mower deck, imatch, 647 Tiller
    2005 John Deere X495, 62C mower deck and 54" snow blade
    1977 John Deere 300 garden tractor with 48" deck, 33 tiller and home built hydraulic blade

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (06-02-2019)

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,029 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinguidegun View Post
    The laws of physics aren't suspended just because I'm in a hurry.
    Perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    "The laws of physics aren't suspended just because I'm in a hurry" should be on a sticker on tractors, in the manual and written on the wall of tractor storage. It's just a perfect reminder to us all.
    Yes, along with this sticker:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0691.GIF  
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

bama1025r (06-07-2019)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast