Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Recommendation on X series/SCUT/MCUT

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-21-2019 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks

Recommendation on X series/SCUT/MCUT

Hi All!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've currently got an LA115, 42" deck and 44" Front Mount Snow Blower. This has done a fine job on our 1/3 acre with large patio and driveway. With that said we just upgraded our home situation to a much larger home with 1.5 acres. The new place is mostly flat, with a moderately large ditch at the end of property along the road, all grass and some larger trees. I have a few question and am looking for recommendations on the route to go.

Primary Uses:
    1. Mowing
    2. Snow removal - This is the big one, we live in Minnesota and will live on a long cul-de-sac with only one other house. I don't foresee us being the first ones plowed
    3. Landscaping - minor bucket work, mulch, compost, etc
    4. Gardening - We currently have a 8x12 raised bed but I'd like to up that game.

The first two obviously take priority, and I know I could get by with an x500 series but I'm starting to think $6-8k is a lot to spend on something that JUST mows and blows snow. I know the cost difference would be 50-100% more but I foresee myself actually using a 3pt hitch and a bucket a fair amount. We have the smallest lot in the neighborhood and everyone else has a Zero turn. I really don't want two machines though and cut quality isn't something I'm terribly concerned with. I don't want it to be trash but I think the SCUTs would be plenty "good enough" for me.

Questions:
    1. What would you do!?!?
    2. How capable are the SCUTs? - My stepdad is a bit of a curmudgeon and thinks anything less than 30hp and 2000lbs is a toy. I want to disagree
    3. Budget is 10-15k depending on the scenario. That 0% interest on the 1 series is tempting.

Thanks for the read and I look forward to getting your thoughts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Are you looking at new or used? Because a new 1023E with loader and 54" mower is in the ballpark of $16K if you can swing a decent deal with your dealer. Add a couple thousand more for a snow blade or blower setup.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    If you want to see what a 1026 can do check out tractor time with Tim on YouTube.

I find loaders are more useful than you can imagine.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rydplrs For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (06-28-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Are you looking at new or used? Because a new 1023E with loader and 54" mower is in the ballpark of $16K if you can swing a decent deal with your dealer. Add a couple thousand more for a snow blade or blower setup.
    These deals are what originally got me on the 1 series train. There's a dealer here that does a 1023e with 54" deck, bucket, and ballast box. I'd probably just try and get by with the bucket for the first year but a blade and rear blower seems like a capable combo on quite a few videos I've seen. Ideally I'd like someone else to take the bath on the early depreciation but I'm open to both. There's a dealer here that has a 2305 with a 62" deck and loader for like $11k. That seems like a pretty fair price, although the deck isn't drive over. Not sure how big of a deal that is.

Quote Originally Posted by rydplrs View Post
    If you want to see what a 1026 can do check out tractor time with Tim on YouTube.

I find loaders are more useful than you can imagine.
    I know! That's why I'm thinking I'd use it a TON over an X series. I've seen a few of his videos, they actually look pretty tough and capable.
    Last edited by Bolson32; 06-28-2019 at 11:34 AM.
    rydplrs, Tractor Tim and PJR832 like this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bolson32 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (06-28-2019)

9. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    For those inclined here's a satellite view of the property. Thanks google maps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LE_Aerial.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	693050

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    These deals are what originally got me on the 1 series train. There's a dealer here that does a 1023e with 54" deck, bucket, and ballast box. I'd probably just try and get by with the bucket for the first year but a blade and rear blower seems like a capable combo on quite a few videos I've seen. Ideally I'd like someone else to take the bath on the early depreciation but I'm open to both. There's a dealer here that has a 2305 with a 62" deck and loader for like $11k. That seems like a pretty fair price, although the deck isn't drive over. Not sure how big of a deal that is.
    Ok, I think you could find a decent used SCUT well within in your price range. (You may not be able to get financing on some used machines though! And you probably won't get 0% financing on many used machines at all.) As far as your step-father's comments, you aren't going to bale hay or plow the back 40 with a SCUT but they'll beat the heck out of a wheel barrow, shovel, scythe and a lot of sweat every. single. day. Let him call it a toy. Toys can be fun to play with!

Take a look at machinefinder.com That's what the Deere dealers use to list their used equipment. I'd look at the used 2210, 2305, 1023E, 1025R and 1026R models. You can check to see what is available in your area and get some idea of pricing and then go from there.
    rydplrs, kylew and Kbar like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Ok, I think you could find a decent used SCUT well within in your price range. (You may not be able to get financing on some used machines though! And you probably won't get 0% financing on many used machines at all.) As far as your step-father's comments, you aren't going to bale hay or plow the back 40 with a SCUT but they'll beat the heck out of a wheel barrow, shovel, scythe and a lot of sweat every. single. day. Let him call it a toy. Toys can be fun to play with!

Take a look at machinefinder.com That's what the Deere dealers use to list their used equipment. I'd look at the used 2210, 2305, 1023E, 1025R and 1026R models. You can check to see what is available in your area and get some idea of pricing and then go from there.
    That's 100% of the draw for a new one. Although the "free" financing would be offset considerably by the substantial increase in price. I've been watching machinefinder and there's actually a few in the area in those model ranges. Thanks for the input!
    rydplrs likes this.

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:12 PM
    Thanks
    You can get 0% for 84 months on any utility tractor. Any dealer who says they don’t have that is either lying or ignorant.

What I would get would depend on where you live. How much snow do you get? How much rain? How cold does it get? Is your grass native or do you have to care for it to keep it from dying?
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 12:33 AM
    Thanks

Recommendation on X series/SCUT/MCUT

The suggestions to go to MachineFinder and to check out what Tractor Time With Tim talks about on his YouTube site are excellent suggestions. Also go chat up your local JD Deere Dealer. I did and when he realized I was TOO Cheap to buy new he remembered (with a little coaching from Yours Truly) that a former customer was looking to get out from under a JD Contract on a 3 year old 1025r with approx 440 hours. He had a bunch of accessories to throw in for about what your budget is and was mine at the time.
    I was warned that some people selling their Tractors with contracts have been know to not pay off the contract with the money you pay them. They just seem absent minded ..not unscrupulous , of course. The moral is use your Banking institution to contact JD Finance with you and the seller in the same room. Satisfy that detail (pay off JD F.) then get their sign off on their equity in the tractor and then go home with the tractor. If you do it any other way you face the small detail of taking your new tractor to the dealer and having them say "Why thank for returning OUR missing tractor! Now would you like to buy it from us? " Which has happened several times in the past. Just Sayin' what was told to me....not providing legal advice.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mike01 View Post
    You can get 0% for 84 months on any utility tractor. Any dealer who says they don’t have that is either lying or ignorant.

What I would get would depend on where you live. How much snow do you get? How much rain? How cold does it get? Is your grass native or do you have to care for it to keep it from dying?
    I live in Minnesota, and we get a butt-ton of snow. Fair bit of rain, native grass that won't die without water. The mowing can be done on a smaller machine for sure. As could the snowblowing, but I just can't wrap my head around spending $8-12k on an x590-X700 and not just get a SCUT.

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast