Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Setup and freight charges

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks

Setup and freight charges

I am in a process of acquire a new John Deere 1025R TLB. Based on dealer quote, there are $750 setup charge & $450 freight charge. Did you pay for setup and freight charges? How much did you pay?

Can I setup the equipment myself?

Greatly appreciate for additional info.

Best regards,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 PM
    Thanks
    I think the freight charge is new, it was part of my quote, it was not on my last tractors that I recall. My freight was $575 on a 4066R. I am not sure if it’s the delivery of the tractor to the dealer, all options sent to the dealer, or both combined. Anyways, it’s there.

Set up charges are valid, some dealers figure it in the price, others line item it. It’s a valid cost. My dealer does nice work and it’s worth it to me. Some things get complex.

Enjoy your new tractor!

John Deere 4066R
    PaDave, rtgt, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    I've never paid freight charges on any John Deere equipment I've purchased. I always perform my own new equipment setup. Often dealers just employ some unskilled or semi-skilled help to perform new equipment setups. The numerous posts here about mower decks being improperly setup speak to that. I've only purchased from one dealer, but if DIY setup wasn't something they'd go along with, I'd go somewhere else. I just pick my implements and accessories up and they're still on the shipping pallet.

Freight is an expense and ultimately, you'll pay for it whether it is built into the price or a separate line item. You just don't want to pay for it twice.

If this dealer was pulling a new car dealership trick and charging you a processing and/or document fee, I'd be walking out the door...and have with a salesman chasing me.
    PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Thanks
    Mine showed a freight charge of $56 but the a discount of $56, so I paid no freight, but I’m sure I paid for it one way or another.
    2018 2025r, FEL, 60" autoconnect deck, pallet forks, some other stuff.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    The Deere "Build Your Own" site used to show that freight and setup fees were all included when you configured a machine. At some point over the last year they've changed the wording and now everything says "*Manufacturer's suggested price. Taxes, freight, setup, and delivery not included.".

So it looks like charging for freight and setup is going to become the norm if it isn't already. Whether or not dealers will eat those costs to be able to make sales will be interesting to see.
    rtgt, PJR832 and Toughsox like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks

Setup charge

I think $750 setup charge is a lot of money.

This is from John Deere website if you purchase online. Setup Included | John Deere US

INCLUDED IN SETUP:*
    Remove the product from the environmentally friendly John Deere Envirocrate™ (a reusable steel shipping crate that reduces waste).
    Connect and fully charge the battery to maximize battery life and performance.
    Proper inflation of all tires to improve the life and performance of the tires.
    Check and add fluids as needed to extend the life of the engine and transmission.
    Examine and adjust belts as needed to reduce wear and extend belt life.
    Start and test the engine for proper performance.
    Test all safety systems, including neutral start and RIO (Reverse Implement Option).
    Enclose a copy of the Owner's Manual.
    Specific to mowers:
    Proper adjustment of mower deck position to improve cut quality.
    Examine the mower blades for sharpness.
    Engage the mower deck and check for proper operation.
    * Setup does not include delivery. Setup Included only applies to Buy Online purchases.

I can do all of the above myself. If it is $100 for these tasks, I would think it is reasonable, but not $750.

I think John Deere will ship the tractor to local John Deere dealer and you can pick it up there.
    Toughsox likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 08:56 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post

This is from John Deere website if you purchase online. Setup Included | John Deere US

Remove the product from the environmentally friendly John Deere Envirocrate™ (a reusable steel shipping crate that reduces waste).
    Check and add fluids as needed to extend the life of the engine and transmission.
    Test all safety systems, including neutral start and RIO (Reverse Implement Option).
    Specific to mowers:
    * Setup does not include delivery. Setup Included only applies to Buy Online purchases.

I can do all of the above myself. If it is $100 for these tasks, I would think it is reasonable, but not $750.

I think John Deere will ship the tractor to local John Deere dealer and you can pick it up there.
    I want my selling dealer to make enough money from my purchase that they want to help me when I walk in.
    DRobinson, arlen, rtgt and 4 others like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by badrobot View Post

Specific to mowers:

Unfortunately, Deere won't let you "Buy online" for a full TLB. As soon as you add any implement to the base machine their configuration tool sends your info off to a dealer for a quote. That list of what happens during setup also appears to target riding mowers. I don't think the bigger equipment is quite that simple.

I'm not sure that matters much though. If you buy online you're paying full MSRP. Typically, people have been getting at least 10% off of MSRP in their price quotes from dealers. But maybe this shift in fees explains why more people are suddenly getting 20% off of MSRP for quotes. I suspect that dealers were just burying these setup fees in their markup on equipment. Now that they are identifying the setup fees as a separate line item, they can offer better "deals" on the pricing of the equipment itself.

A 1025R with FILB is ~$29,500 MSRP at a minimum. That's what you'd pay if you bought online. Even if you pay the $750 setup fee, a 10% dealer discount would still end up costing you over $2,000 less.

I'm not a fan of the fees either but if the math works out, it is what it is...
    BigJim55 likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Jep

Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 AM
    Thanks
    I just bought a new 1025r TLB during the drive green weekend mid May. There was no setup fee or freight charge. These dealers have so many of these machines setting on the lot . Dealing was not that hard to do. Push for what you want and get it. If one dealer will not budge find another. Get a price including everything. Then compare . The closest dealer might not be the best. Remember you have the money and they want it, make them work for it. Except nothing less. Also any dealer will service or sell you parts, that’s where the real money is.
    keane likes this.
    1025R TLB 54D MM, Imatch Quick hitch, BB, Ken's bolt on hooks, Piranha Tooth Bar, 36" Artillian forks, Cyclone rake XL, 54" Snowblower, 54"used blade, Edge Tamer and Extender, Heavy Hitch Subsoiler. Trailers: Sure-Trac 5x8 dump and a 7x16 steel side., 647 tiller, 5048 Box blade, heavy hitch tooth bar, 260B hoe, mulch kit

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Maphesto View Post
    I want my selling dealer to make enough money from my purchase that they want to help me when I walk in.
    I want that too. But I'm not providing the wheelbarrow for them to haul my money away with either.
    rtgt and trboxman like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast