Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Tire Ballast (Beet juice) and Air Pressures

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 03:49 PM
    Thanks

Tire Ballast (Beet juice) and Air Pressures

Another "newbie" question from me... I have a 2520 JD and the rear tires are ballasted with what I was told is Rim Guard (beet juice). Today I was a dumb dumb and I went to check air pressures in tires in my new to me tractor and when I checked the rear tires I got a little surprise squirt of watery black liquid. First question is would Rim Guard come out of the tire as a watery black liquid? If so I always heard it smelled... this stuff doesn't smell at all.

Second question is with "loaded" tires do I still fill the other air part of the tire with the same recommended tire pressure that JD lists for my tractor or does it change since 2/3 is now liquid filled? I assume the tire pressure would be the same but just wanted to double check!

Thanks for all of the info you guys have provided me so far. I've had two tractors but didn't own them very long, hoping this 2520 will be around for many many years to come so I'll be looking for guidance from you experts along the way!
    Last edited by JustinB60; 07-02-2019 at 06:13 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinB60 View Post
    Another "newbie" question from me... I have a 2520 JD and the rear tires are ballasted with what I was told is Rim Guard (beet juice). Today I was a dumb dumb and I went to check air pressures in tires in my new to me tractor and when I checked the rear tires I got a little surprise squire of watery black liquid. First question is would Rim Guard come out of the tire as a watery black liquid? If so I always heard it smelled... this stuff doesn't smell.

Second question is with "loaded" tires do I still fill the other air part of the tire with the same recommended tire pressure that JD lists for my tractor or does it change since 2/3 is now liquid filled? I assume the tire pressure would be the same but just wanted to double check!

Thanks for all of the info you guys have provided me so far. I've had two tractors but didn't own them very long, hoping this 2520 will be around for many many years to come so I'll be looking for guidance from you experts along the way!
    It's black and it's sticky. Next time you check them have the air valve all the way up at the 12:00 position. I put air in mine. I put about 20 psi in mine. May not need that much but you need enough for the tire to seal against the rim. Fluid is not enough. The rims will spin inside the tire if you get enough traction and HP involved. Found that out the hard way.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    It's black and it's sticky. Next time you check them have the air valve all the way up at the 12:00 position. I put air in mine. I put about 20 psi in mine. May not need that much but you need enough for the tire to seal against the rim. Fluid is not enough. The rims will spin inside the tire if you get enough traction and HP involved. Found that out the hard way.
    Hmm the stuff I got out was very watery and didnt seem sticky at all. Absolutely no smell. Would Calcium Chloride also be black in color and watery? Trying to figure out what it could be if it somehow isn't Rim Guard (which it still very well may be I guess).
    rtgt likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks
    beetjuice is sticky to some degree.

You probly toasted your air gage if it wasn't one for liquid filled tires.....One that is has the spring loaded part with the #'s on it.

Calcium will corode an aluminum air chuck in a short amount of time...you'll see a whitish coating on the chuck within hours or a day probly.

Beet juice could likely be darker....they pump tires (old /flat whatever) into the same tank as they fill new ones....uuuggg.

I new my tire guy and waited till He got a "new" tank in...then had all mine filled with virgin Beatlejuice.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    beetjuice is sticky to some degree.

You probly toasted your air gage if it wasn't one for liquid filled tires.....One that is has the spring loaded part with the #'s on it.

Calcium will corode an aluminum air chuck in a short amount of time...you'll see a whitish coating on the chuck within hours or a day probly.

Beet juice could likely be darker....they pump tires (old /flat whatever) into the same tank as they fill new ones....uuuggg.

I new my tire guy and waited till He got a "new" tank in...then had all mine filled with virgin Beatlejuice.
    I might have cleaned it up enough to not get corrosion... but I'll keep an eye out for it. I used some WD-40 on a rag to wipe whatever the fluid was off the rim in hopes to keep it from corroding anything if it was corrosive mix. The stuff was so watery and runny that if you told me it was water with black food coloring in it I would believe you. No sticky aspect to it whatsoever. Hope I didn't get the new kid on his first day that thought they were just putting water in them...

The gauge seems fine so far, we will see if anything happens to it over time.
    Last edited by JustinB60; 07-02-2019 at 07:33 PM.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JustinB60 View Post
    Hmm the stuff I got out was very watery and didnt seem sticky at all. Absolutely no smell. Would Calcium Chloride also be black in color and watery? Trying to figure out what it could be if it somehow isn't Rim Guard (which it still very well may be I guess).
    The Calcium Chloride I had in my 9N tires looked like dirty water.

The RimGuard I had in my 2720 was thick brown gunk. I didn't smell it but it reminded me of brown sugar dissolved in water.
    JustinB60 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,604 Times in 1,218 Posts
    Here is a small container of beet juice from a YouTube video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails beet.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Here is a small container of beet juice from a YouTube video.
    Crap, I think its calcium chloride then. I trust my co-worker I bought this tractor from and his dealer told him it was Rim Guard when he bought it. It makes sense because I see the beginnings of rust at the point where the two sections of rim come together on the inside. I'm sure this will be expensive to replace some day...

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Ok so I took a few photos of the rust and also squirted our another tablespoon of fluid to take photo and also mess around with to see if I can confirm what it is. To me there is still very little odor, based on what I do smell I’m actually leaning toward windshield washer fluid? Not sure if it’d look like this thought. Anybody have an idea of how I can test this sample to confirm? If I remember correctly adding baking soda to calcium chloride creates a reaction that bubbles... am I remembering my 8th grade science class experiments correctly?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1601C5DD-9E78-4B84-88E7-7C55F4F15D91_1562155748504.jpeg   68004C3B-52B6-40A3-B9D2-84695FCFD931_1562155775990.jpeg  

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Rim corrosion is minor on outside, was going to touch up this when the cold arrives in the fall. If the fluid is calcium chloride I would fear it’s rust showing from inside though which would be really bad I would guess?

Please tell me I am over reacting and this is just beet juice haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 255014FA-3E69-488A-9C19-BEE7F9A6C0E1_1562155884080.jpeg  

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast