Would you rent a tractor from an individual- or rent yours out?
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree153Likes

Thread: Would you rent a tractor from an individual- or rent yours out?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks

Would you rent a tractor from an individual- or rent yours out?

Just curious, how many out there would be willing to rent their SCUT or would potentially opt to rent a smaller unit from an individual?

Sounds far fetched at the moment - but there is now an app for things that would have seemed far fetched 5 years ago that have wide acceptance (food delivery, uber/Lyft) and letting strangers rent a room in your house.

We now have sites to rent your vehicle, your boat and your RV. Won't be long until someone at Takl or one of these task apps gets into the tractor rental biz.

To me, the only barrier for most is trailering. A car you can drive anywhere - a boat is typically docked on water and RV renters of campers either can be driven or are rented by people with trucks already mainly.

Figure a solution (i/e the service handles transport for both parties as part of their fee) and I think it works for everyone. Even now, I'd say at least 25% of owners have truck and trailer to deliver.

What would it take to get you to turn the keys over to someone else? Assume insurance is standard in booking (including mechanical damage discovered a few days post rental). To me it would have to return at least $300 a day and include an hour limit and outline of planned usage (extreme variance with evidence would garner a large penalty and ban from service penalty). What else would you like to see ? What about renters - plenty of options out there now with commercial rental companies - but assuming you could cut the cost in half renting privately - would you give some consideration to a flexible service?
    BigJim55 and kylew like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:13 PM
    Thanks
    Big no for me.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Thanks
    Absolutely NOT

Been there done that.

Nothing to gain but wrecked relationships.

If a "friend " needs something....Go do it for them and You operate it.

I don't borrow....and try not to lend any tools etc.

Its a recipe for disaster...

From a rental yard....No Problem.....insure it and Go
    Last edited by theduke; 07-19-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

5. The Following User Says Thank You to theduke For This Useful Post:

eyeboltman (08-12-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:51 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,384 Times in 1,087 Posts
    i wouldn't rent my own tractor to just anyone out there, but.............i have rented the neighbors dozer a couple of times. his boy told me i was the first person he ever left on it, as it was pretty new then. rented it like 3 or 4 times over the last 16 yrs here.

i did rent a small excavator from a rental place -not a bad deal at all. i took out insurance on it, like if it caught on fire.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:50 PM
    Thanks
    I wouldnt have a problem renting something from a company but, never from an individual due to the 'hey, thats not how I gave it to you' syndrome

As for renting mine out.....never happen in a million years. (and I dont even have one yet)

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks

Rent?

I would rent equipment for use but would not rent out my equipment. I sure as heck wouldn't want to be checking and repairing my tractor from someone else using it. If I had 10 tractors, a shop and a mechanic on staff that's different. It's just me, no shop and not enough tractors.

The downside to renting equipment from an individual is you need to be dang sure it's a tight contract so you don't get charged for something you didn't expect. As a renter, you actually need to read the contract anyway but companies have a lot more invested in their reputation than an individual does.

I'm looking at renting a skid steer now from a small company.

Treefarmer
    Tomfive, PJR832, kylew and 2 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Rent equipment? Of course

Rent MY equipment? NFW

2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Rent equipment? Of course

Rent MY equipment? NFW

Exactly. I don't even know that I'd rent from an individual. I have no problem with renting from someplace like Sunbelt rentals or a dealer.

Rent mine out? That's not happening.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:11 AM
    Thanks
    Responses about in line with what I expected...of course I wouldn't expect anything different if asking members here their opinion on renting out their rec product or truck - citing same concerns.

Also shows ALOT of difference in how certain age groups view ownership and peer to peer rental-sharing.

Ask a 20_35 year old and I think you get a pretty high acceptance of the tech...over 50 and it is near zero in general. I'm somewhere in the middle age and opinion wise.

Personally, would I rent out my car, no. Too many places out there doing it professionally and I can't beat them on price or service...same with renting strangers a room night to night.

Now bigger things that see limited use - right price, possibly. I mean worst case, something is returned damaged - your covered, including your downtime/lost rental. That's going to be the stumbling block for most owners...we've all loaned things to "that" neighbor and dealt with their negligence/stupidity. Difference here is someone's actually insuring them - holding a deposit and providing the insurance.

Hell, a rental car company will entrust you with a 50k vehicle with just a few hundred dollar hold on your debit card and an electric bill these days....and they remain profitable. How hard can it be to turn a profit on a 20k tractor with 1500 security and renting it for 400 a day splitting 60/40 in the owners favor.

Everyone seems to think the moment someone else touches "their" equipment - it will be ruined. Oddly, these same people are the same ones who buy used stuff...and brag how it's only ever been gently used by a little old farmer on weekends to mow his yard.

Something has to be off here to me. Odds are in favor of people NOT destroying things in my opinion. Stuff today is built better and gives an immediate sign when you did something you shouldn't have. There will always be idiots...but those jokers are probably already flagged by the big rental companies and easy enough to weed out. Risk-reward is the name of the game. Gotta take some risk. As a start up with big margins, it actually might be doable. Investors love ideas with big margins - even if they aren't immediately profitable.
    kylew likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    You can rent it but you're renting me with it.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements