Is there a Car Fax type service for damaged or totaled tractors?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By Kennyd
  • 3 Post By PikeCoGreenTractorMan
  • 1 Post By mjlennon

Thread: Is there a Car Fax type service for damaged or totaled tractors?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks

Is there a Car Fax type service for damaged or totaled tractors?

Reason I ask...well a few.
    Should be a boatload of flooded machines floating around here shortly.
    What if you want to finance a used tractor...how can you find the History.?
    Cars /Trucks here in OR get the Title "branded" or marked "Salvage" if they are an insurance buy back..etc.

Found this gem today that is selling cheap-ish. Slid down a hill with mower on back and busted 2 of the 3 point mounts off.

Curious if it stuffed the PTO driveshaft. The mounts could be repaired vs new trans case etc.
    I guess I was curious if it was insured or not and if it was totaled ...How is one to know?
    Since Tractors have no Title( in OR) or even a certificate of origin( not sure) how would they mark a flooded /totaled machine?

2007 John Deere 3203 with loader - farm garden - by owner - sale

Last edited by theduke; 08-06-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    08-13-2019 @ 07:58 AM
    Thanks
    Short answer - no.

There are methods of verifying this info. Much like CarFax - there are reports available out there showing if a piece of machinery has been involved in a covered loss by insurance. Pretty easy to look at the amount of the claim paid and verify if it was a big claim.

Likewise, salvage sales record info - and can be reviewed. Something as simple as a google search of a serial may yield results from past listings on these sales.

But if someone trashed it - wasn't insured and cut their losses in a private sale to someone who is now not disclosing the issues - likely no way to tell. A good set of eyes though will tell you any issues. Most rebuilt salvage is not well done. It's pretty obvious to a typical person - a trained eye will spot it even quicker.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,028 Times in 2,509 Posts
    Nope, no such service for tractors, so it's caveat emptor.

The 3202 was like a red-headed step child anyway, it was only produced for 3 years (2006-2008), only had a 2-range hydro as I recall, and only used the 300 loader not the 300CX

TractorData.com John Deere 3203 tractor information
    mark02tj, johnH123 and Toughsox like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:28 PM
    Thanks
    theD - You have a thought provoking idea. Most of our great green machines are "titled" only with a bill of sale.

A great, long time hunting buddy/rancher who has been dead now for five years taught me a lot about life and other useful things. I was a lad of 12 years age when the Rapid City, South Dakota, flood of June 1972 occurred. This preceded the interwebs and Carfax by many decades. There were a lot of unscrupulous used car sales after the water receded. Glen taught me some of the warning signs- most notably "flood mud", the fine grained silt buildup on all horizontal surfaces after the flood water receded. On a tractor, I would also look for freshly rusted bare steel, non-functional electrical components, and general poor running performance of the engine/hydraulics.

These great green machines have evolved a long ways since the electro-mechanical wonders of yester-year. I would proceed with an abundance of caution if I was not aware of the provenance of a potential purchase.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post
    Reason I ask...well a few.
    Should be a boatload of flooded machines floating around here shortly.
    What if you want to finance a used tractor...how can you find the History.?
    Cars /Trucks here in OR get the Title "branded" or marked "Salvage" if they are an insurance buy back..etc.

Found this gem today that is selling cheap-ish. Slid down a hill with mower on back and busted 2 of the 3 point mounts off.

Curious if it stuffed the PTO driveshaft. The mounts could be repaired vs new trans case etc.
    I guess I was curious if it was insured or not and if it was totaled ...How is one to know?
    Since Tractors have no Title( in OR) or even a certificate of origin( not sure) how would they mark a flooded /totaled machine?

2007 John Deere 3203 with loader - farm garden - by owner - sale

BigJim55, mark02tj and Toughsox like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PikeCoGreenTractorMan For This Useful Post:

theduke (08-14-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 07:06 AM
    Thanks
    Your hunting buddy was a wise man.
    theduke likes this.

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements