Getting around in the snow....chains? Ballast box? Other?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Getting around in the snow....chains? Ballast box? Other?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:19 PM
    Thanks

Getting around in the snow....chains? Ballast box? Other?

I have a 2019 1023E with FEL...standard R4 tires. No wheel weights, tires not filled. I have a 125 foot two-lane T-shaped concrete driveway, completely flat, that starts at the end of a 75 foot diameter cul-de-sac. I don’t know how much, or even IF I’ll be using that tractor/FEL to manage Minnesota snowfall, but it will probably see some snow duty and I want to be prepared for it, just in case. The township plows the road and cul-de-sac promptly, but the plowing comes with increasingly large piles as the winter wears on and that cup-de-sac gets smaller and smaller. I might want to move those piles of snow off (staying on the pavement) into the woods so that when it eventually melts, it doesn’t soak my property.

I’ll have the ballast box handy and can hook that up. Chains are cheap enough and I’ll probably get a pair...my questions for getting around in the snow managing snow with my FEL...
    • Will I need the ballast box?
    • If I use the ballast box, will I need chains?
    • If I use 2-link chains, will I need spacers?
    • If I need spacers, how much spacing?

Thanks in advance...
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 AM
    Thanks
    If it's completely flat and you plow a path from the pickup point to the drop off point, you probably won't need anything. Maybe rear weight at times, if it's slushy. This being your first year, I'd try it and see how it goes. Then you'll have an idea of what, if any, additional things you'd need.

My first year, I plowed our >1/4 mile road and 4 to 5 driveways without any additional weight or chains. For the next year, I added 72# rear wheel weights because one of my neighbor's drive is off- camber on a curve, and I was losing traction there. The weights helped that a lot, but other than that I haven't had traction problems.
    wentonbrown and MacCool like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    I can tell you firsthand that you donít need spacers to run 2-link chains, I have them for my 1025 with r4 tires and they clear with no spacers. I would warn you though, while chains have the ultimate traction on ice/snow, they will scratch up your concrete driveway.

I use a 54Ē snowblower, but if I were you Iíd try it with just the loaded ballast box first and see how it goes.
    jdforever and Kbar like this.
    1984 JD 316 w/ cat 0 3-pt hitch and 2000 rpm pto, 48" tiller, 49" snowblower, 42" belly mower
    2015 JD 1025r, 60d MMM, 54" front mounted snowblower, Heavy hitch, Ballast box
    1980 JD 1050 4wd, JD 75 loader, IH 60" brush hog
    1980? Satoh S550g Elk, 60" belly mower
    McCulloch Saws - 1970's Mini Mac 30; Mac 10-10
    1978 Ariens Sno-Thro 32"; Troy-Bilt 24" snoblower
    1996 Polaris 680 Ultra Snowmobile, 2004 Yamaha Raptor 660, 2016 Polaris Sportsman 570
    1996 KTM EXC 300
    Gravely ZT-HD 60"

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:48 PM
    Thanks
    I agree it will scratch your concrete. The R4 tires with ballast in 4wd low will do fine. Ive plowed steep driveways with a backhoe that had may pops on the front. Just let a little air pressure out if it feels squirrely. Flat driveway, no problem. You'll be blasting up and down it having fun in no time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:24 PM
    Thanks
    Hello,
    no you won't need chains for your flat drive or fluid filled tires or spacers.

You will need ballast for counter weight when using the fel. Its cheap and easy enough to do. Anytime you are using the fel for moving material like snow or dirt you need some kind of counter weight on the bavk as these tractors are tippy without weight on the back.

I leave my bh on all year long and that is what I use for my counter weight. I don't have fluid filled tires or weights for the tires and I have plowed the last 5 years 3 to 5 driveways with all kinds of weird angles and steep slopes in all kinds of snow conditions. Soft to ice.

I have the R4 tires and don't use chains. I justt put her in 4x4 put the bucket down and go like hell. I also have a plow that my neighbor helped me build last year and I haven't had to many problems with that either.

Your drive and what you want to do would be a piece of cake!

Good luck and have fun!
    WB
    DRobinson, fdmars and jdforever like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    OK, great tips...thanks. Guess I'll hold off on buying the chains and see how it goes.

Historically over the last 20 years or so, I've blown off my driveway with my LX277AWS with 48 inch snowblower. That little tractor has chains and about 100 lbs of counterweight on the back and works fine. It doesn't mark up the driveway at all, but of course is quite a bit lighter than a 1023E with 500+ lbs of ballast. That setup works well enough on the driveway for a single-stage snowblower but doesn't help me keep the cul-de-sac from shrinking as the winter wears on. The guy that plows out the dead-end road and cul-de-sac is great, and very prompt, but tends to be a little casual about where he piles the snow at the end where I live. I understand....it's just big truck with a plow and given the size, shape, and woods very close around the edge, he's limited as to where he can push it so a lot of it ends up being pushed into my yard next the driveway. When it melts, it does so across my driveway and side yard. I want to limit that and I envision moving those pile and dumping them into a clear area of the woods that the tractor can get to but would be awkward for his truck/plow.

We'll see...it will be an interesting experiment in snow management. Time will tell if using that SCUT is useful enough to warrant taking the extra space and additional snowmelt in the outbuilding rather than the cold storage barn where everything else goes to await the spring.

Thanks for the helpful information and observations.
    jdforever and wentonbrown like this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    MacCool,

There are several threads on GTT about grooving the R4 tires to increase traction. They claim that it makes a big difference. With a concrete surface, chains could mark up that surface.

Dave
    jdforever and kylew like this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    MacCool,

There are several threads on GTT about grooving the R4 tires to increase traction. They claim that it makes a big difference. With a concrete surface, chains could mark up that surface.

Dave
    Great idea! But $120 will get me a pair of TerraGrips. If ballast and 4wd doesn't get me there, I'd probably go that route.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 09:26 AM
    Thanks
    I don't live in Minnesota, I live in the mountains of Colorado at 8100 feet and we get a fair amount of snow.

I have rear wheel weights. Nothing else, and I have never needed anything else. Honestly, not even sure I need the wheel weights. My driveway is concrete and has a pretty good slope to it. Traction has never been an issue. I also plow my neighbors driveway which is a single lane dirt road that gets very steep. Never had an issue. This is using a JD plow........

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:49 AM
    Thanks
    I wouldnít be without rear chains. I have 2 sets of 50lbs wheel weights. I didnít need wheel spacers. I also have chains for the front, but donít use them often. With the rear chains I donít have to use 4wd very often.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast