• 1 Post By Auguste

Thread: Storing fuel

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:10 PM
    Thanks

Question Storing fuel

This is my first post hope you donít mind stupid questions lol
    Do any of you fine upstanding GTT members in northern climates store DSL over the winter or just buy new every spring? If so do you add additives ? Any problems with gumming up ? Can you use your stored winter grade fuel during the summer ? Iím fortunate to be a snowbird and wonít be using my 1025 in the winter. Thanking you in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    It took me a few minutes to figure out what DSL was. I donít mow with my tractor so my fuel usage is low compared to most. The majority of my tractor usage is during the winter. As such I use winter fuel treatment all year. The only difference between the JD summer and winter fuel protect formulas is the winter stuff has anti-gelling additives. So it is fine to run during the summer. In fact, I still have 5-gallons of fuel left over that I bought last winter. If you keep it properly treated diesel does not degrade as fast as gasoline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    glc and jdforever like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

Wilkie†(08-27-2019)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    As mentioned there are differences between winter and summer diesel. The biggest being they change the additives to prevent gelling or waxing.

Winter diesel fuel - Wikipedia

Around here what you get for diesel kind of depends on the gas station. When I had a diesel car, (Jetta TDI) the stations I normally filled up at would slowly alter their blends on a schedule. The pump would have a calendar of sort with temp ratings saying if you bought fuel starting ___ week it would be rated to a certain temp and that temp would go lower and lower as the winter would go on. Even with winter blend I would watch the weather forecast. I could normally go 2 weeks between fill ups and while it was no fun standing out there pumping fuel when it was -30F out, I also found that the filters in the pumps would quite often start to gell up. The gell or wax plugs up the filter media and then the pump slows to a trickle or kicks out.

There are lots of fuel additives that you can get out there. They won't hurt anything running them in the summer months. It won't hurt anything running straight winter blend in June either. The reason we don't just stick with one blend though and run what we call winter diesel year round is that there is less BTUs in winter blend so you get slightly less power and if a road going vehicle less MPGs. That is why many big trucks (Semis, dump trucks and such) use heated fuel lines, heated fuel filters, not only to prevent gelling but so they can run summer fuel year round to get more power and better MPGs. That is also why you see semis idling all the time in the winter at truck stops. If they shut them down and the heaters turn off, they may not get them fired again. With my little diesel in my car, it would return some fuel from the fuel rail where the engine heated it a bit back to the filter to help combat gelling.

Getting back to your situation with the tractor. I am sure there are aftermarket ways of adding fuel heating systems. Probably not worth it. Water getting in the fuel is probably a bigger concern. Keep the tank full before you leave. Less air in the tank means less humidity to drop out of the air and into the fuel. Your filters will trap any water that does accumulate so you might need to service that if you have an issue. While you are a snowbird, keep in mind, is there a case where you might need to return for a week or two in the winter and it might be nice to use that tractor to clear snow? It may be an unexpected thing, if heaven forbid a family member has a heath concern. It is cheap insurance to treat that tank before you leave with an additive just in case. I never really noticed a huge difference running it in the summer and it won't hurt anything to run one tank. There are a few out there but I would use the white bottle of Power Service. Like with oil discussions everyone has a preference to brand of this stuff. Some have additives to help lubricated the fuel pump and injectors. It isn't snake oil when it comes to summer diesel in cold temps. It will save your butt. Having old fuel filters near needing to be replaced also can be an issue. Because the media is somewhat clogged, it takes less of that gell/wax to plug it to a point where you have a stalled out tractor and now you are changing a filter in a blizzard out in the driveway.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Wilkie†(08-27-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    glc
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    I stored my fuel (gas and diesel) outside all year. I've just started to store it in the barn! I usually put Opti-Lube, or Power Service additive in the diesel and Sta-Bil in the gas! I just bought new gas for my new No-Spill gas cans, but the diesel (also in No-Spills) is from late spring last year! I don't have any fuel issues to date.
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

9. The Following User Says Thank You to glc For This Useful Post:

Wilkie†(08-27-2019)

10. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by glc View Post
    I stored my fuel (gas and diesel) outside all year. I've just started to store it in the barn! I usually put Opti-Lube, or Power Service additive in the diesel and Sta-Bil in the gas! I just bought new gas for my new No-Spill gas cans, but the diesel (also in No-Spills) is from late spring last year! I don't have any fuel issues to date.
    I used to use Stabil in gas as well. I switched over to Seafoam a couple years back and no issues. I find that small engines run better on Seafoam as a stabilizer than Stabil. That is just for gas stuff though.
    glc and Auguste like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Wilkie†(08-27-2019)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 AM
    Thanks
    Being farther north than most of you and I use my toy ( woops . . . I really mean my rough and tough tractor) about 150 hours per year, here is what I do:

- limit diesel purchases to 5 gallons at a time (2 x 2.5 cans) so that I have the winter additives during the winter . . . gas station is 5 minute walk from home

- use only high test gasoline in all of my small engines eg chain saw, trimmers, pressure washer, small lawn mower etc.

- empty all of the gas (in the small machines) into a 5 gal can and use it in my snowblower (add gas line antifreeze) . . . use an oil change pan so that I don't make a mess

- drain water from the power washer

- change the oil (4 stroke engines) and filters on all of the small machines

- add gas stabilizer to fresh gas for all my machines c/w some gas line anti-freeze

Yup I am a fanatic but chain saws and everything else start when I need them no matter how cold . . . I also keep a can of starter fluid near by as I hate to pull start too many times as I am 70
    glc and Wilkie like this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Auguste For This Useful Post:

Wilkie†(08-27-2019)

14. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sennister View Post
    I used to use Stabil in gas as well. I switched over to Seafoam a couple years back and no issues. I find that small engines run better on Seafoam as a stabilizer than Stabil. That is just for gas stuff though.
    I use seafoam for my boat . . . I might use that this winter . . . thanks
    rtgt likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Auguste For This Useful Post:

Wilkie†(08-27-2019)

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements