Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: insurance on tractor stored away from residence

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks

insurance on tractor stored away from residence

Simple question, but I'll splain the situation in case it helps someone else down the road.

We have a mobile home in a campground (FISHIN CAMP). Own the trailer , rent the "spot". I have insurance on the trailer with coverage for "personal effects" @ 10K.
    We have 9 acres 1 mile from the Camp that we'll be retiring to. We currently live 200 mile from these properties.

I have a lot of work to do at the future homestead and would like to leave the tractor at the Camp rather than trailer it back and forth.
    I have a 12x26 boat shed, full sides, open ends, that I'd keep the tractor under.

I called my insurance company to ask if the tractor would be covered in the event a 125' pine fell on the shed and crushed it, or someone decided they wanted my tractor more than me.
    They said it would be covered up to the 10k personal effects, however, it would have to be used primarily for use on the property the trailer sits on.
    So, it ain't gonna be covered.

My current homeowners only covers it while it's "home".

Looks like I'll have to source a separate policy solely on the tractor, or takes my chances.

What insurance company and what does anyone here pay for a separate policy on just your tractor.
    Specifically a 2014 1025R.

Thank you

I'll be calling a couple companies tomorrow and will report back what the damage would be.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

Rider

You may be able to purchase a rider that would specifically cover your tractor. It's definitely an agent question and make sure to give full disclosure. For example, if you can lock your location, it may be different than having an open shed. You might tell the agent it will be in a shed and the agent thinks, "lockable construction" like a garage. You are thinking, "I told him/her it was a shed".

Why do I say give full disclosure? Because if you don't and have a claim, the claim may be denied due to a uninsurable condition. Then you've paid premium for nothing. Better to have an agent tell you upfront whether they can offer coverage or not based on your circumstances.

You'll want to check and see if it's covered while trailering as well. Almost certainly your current auto insurance does not cover your tractor while trailering. It likely will cover liability but if the tractor falls off the trailer and is in pieces in the middle of the road, it's your tractor.

Before you call your agent(s), write down everything you think is relevant and have it ready for use during the discussion. I would recommend at least touching base with companies that insure a lot of farm equipment. They may or may not be able to help you but at least "tractor" isn't a foreign term to them.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:31 PM
    Thanks
    ..we use a farm policy .....and set the equipment total claimable amount...IE the insurance company will not pay more than 250k loss .......doesnt matter where the equipment is at....i dont even tell them what equipment they are covering (no listing) but i do keep full records of cost ..serial numbers...pictures..maintence records ...etc

...used to have a construction company policy that worked the same way......X$ equipment no matter the location...

for me if i lost every piece of equipment in one event replacement would exceed the 250k....but i can not think of any event that would cause total loss of everything at once ....part of that is due to various locations of the equipment......

not what your looking for but could help others

you will want what is called a "inland marine" floater policy added to your exisiting .....your agent should be able to provide this coverage every insurance company i have ever dealt with had "inland marine" policys availible....these policys are specificly for the situation you are in....specialized equipment at offsite locations
    Last edited by ttazzman; 08-27-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    arlen, BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    American Family Insurance was the only company I found that would ensure my tractor no matter where it was located, on or off my property. I pay about $70 per year for $500 deductible coverage. This is not a commercial policy. I can't do work for hire, but I can help out neighbors or the HOA.

People on this forum kept steering me to American Family, but I tried 5 different AM FAM agents before I found one that knew they could do this. It may take some work on your part, but it is possible.

Keane
    Zebrafive, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

7. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive (08-28-2019)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 01:45 PM
    Thanks
    I paid off my tractor this past spring so I was a little concerned that the Deere policy that I got when I financed it was going to expire. I called USAA who I have all my other insurance with and they didn't offer anything but they did have some setup with Travelers Insurance.

They did a 3-way call with the Travelers agent and Travelers would sell me a policy that covered the tractor and loader (which I valued at $23K) for $300/year. It is an all encompassing policy much like the Deere policy. It covers theft, damage from a tree falling in it, me rolling it over, it falling off a trailer, me driving int into a pond... essentially anything that could possibly happen no matter where the machine is located.

The policy has a $100 deductible and is $300/year billed back through USAA (so it would show up in my regular insurance bill. USAA pays Travelers...). They'll cover any other implements if I give them the make/model/serial number and value. It would increase the cost but I can't imagine it would be all that much based on the tractor's price.

Contact Agribusiness | Travelers Insurance
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (08-27-2019)

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    American Family Insurance was the only company I found that would ensure my tractor no matter where it was located, on or off my property. I pay about $70 per year for $500 deductible coverage. This is not a commercial policy. I can't do work for hire, but I can help out neighbors or the HOA.

People on this forum kept steering me to American Family, but I tried 5 different AM FAM agents before I found one that knew they could do this. It may take some work on your part, but it is possible.

Keane
    that's perfect! and reasonable. Thank you.

and thanks for all the replies, appreciate it.

"no matter where it was located"
    Couple questions -
    covered while trailering?
    Is the coverage an appraised value, or actual replacement cost?
    Buy you a new tractor, or pay you what 'they" say it was worth?

I have my old motorcycles covered as an "agreed value"............a set price, by me. If I lose one one, they don't go to the newspaper, or craigslist, or NADA to determine the dollar amount they pay me. They pay me the agreed value.
    And sadly, I must say, I had to to use that after Hurricane Harvey on one of them.

I lost a bike I had a LOT of blood, sweat and beers in to, totally rewired myself, amongst many other things. At the time, these old Shovels were not, and still are not, bringing the money they once did, and will again. I could not have sold that bike for what I had it insured for.

Not nearly the same situation with the tractor, but just an example of other options and ways to insure things.
    Last edited by Corkpuller; 08-27-2019 at 11:18 PM.
    Zebrafive, rtgt, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    2014 1025R, 120R loader

"ain't too smart, but I'm always thinkin"

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 796 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I paid off my tractor this past spring so I was a little concerned that the Deere policy that I got when I financed it was going to expire. I called USAA who I have all my other insurance with and they didn't offer anything but they did have some setup with Travelers Insurance.

They did a 3-way call with the Travelers agent and Travelers would sell me a policy that covered the tractor and loader (which I valued at $23K) for $300/year. It is an all encompassing policy much like the Deere policy. It covers theft, damage from a tree falling in it, me rolling it over, it falling off a trailer, me driving int into a pond... essentially anything that could possibly happen no matter where the machine is located.
    I have USAA as well.

Maybe I should look at a policy for the Z.....
    BigJim55 and JimR like this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    Most insurance companies have more than one homeowners plans. Check if your current company offers another homeowners plan that will cover the tractor wherever it is at. Some do, depending on your plan. You will also have to increase the amount that it covers.

Mine is with Erie. My plan covers my tractor: if I am driving it on the highway, on my own property, on someone else's property, roadbed damage (if it were to get damaged while hauling it on a trailer), if a building falls on it and if damaged in a fire.

It only covers the tractor if it is being used for non-commercial use (e.g. not being paid to do work with it).
    BigJim55 likes this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

13. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:08 PM
    Thanks
    Kind of along the same lines...I inquired to my Farm Bureau agent as to whether I had coverage if my tractors were at the dealer or repair shop in the event of theft, fire etc. I was told "no coverage" and that would fall under that particular business's Garage Liability policy. So I asked if the facility had that sort of coverage and the owner said yes. It still did not leave me with a good feeling and is one of the reasons I do all my own maintenance and repairs, if possible.
    2019 4044M, 2018 1023e, Kubota RTV 900, Toro Titan 2000HD ZT and too many trucks.

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2mtrucks View Post
    Kind of along the same lines...I inquired to my Farm Bureau agent as to whether I had coverage if my tractors were at the dealer or repair shop in the event of theft, fire etc. I was told "no coverage" and that would fall under that particular business's Garage Liability policy. So I asked if the facility had that sort of coverage and the owner said yes. It still did not leave me with a good feeling and is one of the reasons I do all my own maintenance and repairs, if possible.
    Do you have coverage through Farm Bureau on your tractor at your home? I have home owners and a country squire rider through them. They say neither policy rider covers my tractors or equipment. They tell me I have to list ALL my equipment separate and pay separate fees to insure ANY of it. I asked about a blanket farm policy and they said it would cost a lot more than listing the equipment separately.

I also have my autos through FB and they said my tractor would be covered it it were on my trailer connected to my covered truck.
    danselec07 likes this.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast