Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Diesel transfer pump

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 12:40 PM
    Thanks

Diesel transfer pump

I have a JD 1025R and I am getting older and it is hard enough to pick the heavy diesel can to fill up the tractor. Can anyone help me with a good solution... transfer pump or whatever?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    kylew likes this.
    Jamie

John Deere 1025R / 60D AutoConnect Mower / H120 Loader / KBOH / Piranha Tooth Bar

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bama21fs View Post
    I have a JD 1025R and I am getting older and it is hard enough to pick the heavy diesel can to fill up the tractor. Can anyone help me with a good solution... transfer pump or whatever?
    I have been using this thing for the last couple of weeks. It uses two "D" batteries. I stick the thing into a standard 5 gallon container and it fills my 1023E in about 2 minutes. Couldn't be simpler, or cheaper.

Amazon.com: TERA PUMP Multi-Purpose Battery Powered Fuel Liquid Transfer Pump with Quick Stop Flow Control: Automotive

There is a huge variety of diesel transfer pumps on Amazon ranging in price from this one up to several hundred dollars. I haven't been using this thing long, but it's hard to imagine anything more cost-effective if you're talking about filling a 5 gallon tractor tank from a 5 gallon gas can without lifting it off the ground.

Last edited by MacCool; 09-07-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    bigbear, PaDave, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    2019 John Deere 1023E SCUT with 120R FEL
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Titan 3-Point 2" Receiver Hitch
    Titan 42 inch Chinese pallet forks
    Titan Chinese Ballast Box
    Field Tuff FTF-60PSR3PT Pine Straw Rake, 3 Pt - modified for 2" receiver
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

bama21fs†(09-07-2019), ColonyPark†(09-07-2019), JDLTG†(09-08-2019)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    I have been using this thing for the last couple of weeks. It uses two "D" batteries. I stick the thing into a standard 5 gallon container and it fills my 1023E in about 2 minutes. Couldn't be simpler, or cheaper.

Amazon.com: TERA PUMP Multi-Purpose Battery Powered Fuel Liquid Transfer Pump with Quick Stop Flow Control: Automotive

There is a huge variety of diesel transfer pumps on Amazon ranging in price from this one up to several hundred dollars. I haven't been using this thing long, but it's hard to imagine anything more cost-effective if you're talking about filling a 5 gallon tractor tank from a 5 gallon gas can without lifting it off the ground.

Is the hose long enough to use with the 5 gallon can sitting on the ground?
    BigJim55 and jdforever like this.
    2018 1025r. 260B backhoe, 120r loader, Titan 36" forks, Frontier RT1142 tiller
    1995 Lowes branded riding mower.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,061 Times in 2,226 Posts
    Kennyd, BigJim55, kylew and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. The Following User Says Thank You to coaltrain For This Useful Post:

Kennyd†(09-08-2019)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bama21fs View Post
    I've posted this one before. Flo-Fast pump. The container holds 7-gallons and is very easy to throw in the SUV to get filled. I usually only fill with 5-gallons or so. The cart is an old one I had laying around (yellow color was a coincidence). Velcro strap was gotten at Lowe's. I have two containers that I alternate. When one starts to get empty I go fill the second container. In the even of a SnowPocalypse I can fill both.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1563.jpg
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(09-07-2019)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmylh View Post
    Is the hose long enough to use with the 5 gallon can sitting on the ground?
    Yes.

You know those 20 gpm Fill-rite or GPM transfer pumps, with the inline water filters and the inline particulate filters and the meter accurate to 1/10th gallon? For $350+? (I have one of those on my 150 gallon gasoline mobile refueling tank). This thing is on the exact opposite end of the scale. For $35 you can use your existing cheapo 5 gallon cans. In fact, this transfer pump cost less than the poly diesel container I'm pumping out of.

It is not a massive pump, but it will fill your 1025R from empty in about 2 minutes. The only physical labor involved is moving your 5 gallon tank in proximity to your tractor. If you put it on a frame with casters, you can just kick it over there.

I have no clue how long this cheapo pump will last, but the reviews on Amazon were remarkably positive, and there were enough of them that I'm don't think that they were all shilled. For $35, I thought is was worth a shot. So far, so good.....

For reference, the excellent Flo Fast rig that jgayman posted...7.5 gallon tank with rotary pump...will run about $240. If my spankin' new Terrapump lasts 1 year, it will take 6.8571 years before I will tell myself that I should have bought the jgayman's Flo-Fast.

Having said that, I confess that I am on the hunt for a cheap 30 gallon closed-top drum that I can drop a $30 hand-crank pump into the bung. Like Tim Marks uses, but 30 gallons rather than 55. As it turns out...clean, useable 30 gallon drums aren't that easy to find.

Couple of caveats....

1) When you take the intake thing out of the 5 gallon can after filling, pause a moment and squeeze the handle to let the diesel fuel drain back into the can (eliminates mess when you pull it out of the can and go to hang it up).

2) Some 5 gallon cans have a screen of sorts in the filler neck. That needs to come out.

Last edited by MacCool; 09-07-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(09-07-2019), Tractor Tim†(09-08-2019)

13. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Powered Fuel Transfer Pump | Camping World

Otherwise itís a large tank or drum to mount a bigger pump to. 5 gallons isnít that much fuel to pump. I fortunately have a 110 gal jump tank that I fuel equipment with and it takes seconds to fuel the little guy up, but if I didnít have that, Iíd get a camp pump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and jdforever like this.

14. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks

So I've been considering one of these. My question is what do you do with it when it's not pumping fuel? I'm sure once you take it out of the fuel can it will drool diesel for days. And if you leave it out to "dry", it will accumulate dirt that you'll be putting into your fuel when you use it next time. The feature to store the nozzle seems nice, but it just makes the overall shape even more awkward for storage. I'm betting they don't include something to store it in, which would make it a pretty complete solution.

Keane
    Kennyd, ColonyPark and kylew like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    So I've been considering one of these. My question is what do you do with it when it's not pumping fuel? I'm sure once you take it out of the fuel can it will drool diesel for days. And if you leave it out to "dry", it will accumulate dirt that you'll be putting into your fuel when you use it next time. The feature to store the nozzle seems nice, but it just makes the overall shape even more awkward for storage. I'm betting they don't include something to store it in, which would make it a pretty complete solution.

Keane
    Before I pull the probe thing out of the tank, as it come out of the neck, I just squeeze the trigger which lets all the diesel fuel in the tubing and probe drain quickly back into the diesel container. Then I just clip the nozzle to the pump (in the clips that they built into the body) and hang the whole thing up using the hook thatís built onto the pump body. It doesnít drip anything, or at least minimal. Iím not going to hang the thing in the laundry room, but itís not an issue in the storage garage. As to contamination...I just keep it out of the dirt, and wipe it off before I use it again. If I was concerned about it, I suppose Iíd make a little holster out of some PVC tubing and screw it to the wall. But Iím not concerned about it.
    Kennyd, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    iMatch quick hitch Cat 3
    Ken's Bolt-On Grab Hooks
    Ratchet Rake

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacCool For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark†(09-09-2019), keane†(09-09-2019)

17. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:27 PM
    Thanks
    As it turns out...clean, useable 30 gallon drums aren't that easy to find.
    Try checking with your local car wash. Many of them get their detergents, etc. in heavy duty plastic drums. In many cases, trash collection services will not take them unless they are cut up. That's a major PITA to them. Since they wanted to get rid of them, I secured free of charge, a 30 gallon drum. My car wash said I can have as many drums as I would like. I thoroughly rinsed and dried it out, put a rotary pump in it and have it on a round dolly so I can move it to wherever I need it. I can take a picture of my set up tomorrow if you need one. Takes less than 2 minutes to fill the tank of my 1025R.

Fill-Rite SD62 Rotary Hand Pump w/ Hose Nozzle Kit - 1 Gal per 13 Rev - John M. Ellsworth Co. Inc.
    rtgt, OxPath, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jdforever For This Useful Post:

Zebrafive†(09-10-2019)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast