Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DanW

Thread: Backup camera

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks

Backup camera

Has any one installed a wireless backup camera on their tractor Would like to see the rear blade this winter in action what unit did you use where did you make connection for power how did you wire to make camera active only in reverse Have 2001 4300
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:20 PM
    Thanks
    No real point in going wireless. Camera has to have power and no way to do that wireless unless you add a battery pack. The slight drain created by the camera is enough to kill the battery so don't think you can wire it hot all the time and toggle with the monitor switch. (don't ask how I know)

I put a cheap unit on my 4310 and I don't find it to be much use but that is primarily because I can't focus on it without my glasses and I don't wear them while I'm tractoring. ;) On the rare occasion I find the need I will put my glasses on.

I just wired mine to come on with the ignition. Not sure if it's there on a 4300 but my tractor had an unused wire that is hot with key on by the left side of the cowl.
    John Deere 4310 tractor, New Holland 575E backhoe, John Deere F725 mower

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GUS FINK View Post
    Has any one installed a wireless backup camera on their tractor Would like to see the rear blade this winter in action what unit did you use where did you make connection for power how did you wire to make camera active only in reverse Have 2001 4300
    Thank you

I have outside rear view mirrors to see what is happening behind me.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thank you
    I did a quick wireless backup camera test last winter running both the camera and display off a rechargeable battery pack. I velcro'd the display to the hood and the camera to one of the ROPS light guards. The display was just too dim to be useful, and this was supposedly one of the brighter displays designed for outside use in RC/drone applications with a fold out sunshield. I suppose if you had your face right up at the display it would be okay, but trying to see it from just a few feet away was useless. If I ever get a cab I'll try again. Until then...
    Efficiency is just intelligent laziness

2018 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Light Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, Ken's Hooks and diff pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks, Grammer MSG85/721 Suspension Seat, Front Quick Hitch w/Hydraulic angle, Deere 60" QH Blade

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:19 PM
    Thanks

Why camera instead of mirrors

Backup camera recommended do to vibration of mirrors attached to tractor framme

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:01 PM
    Thanks
    Backup camera recommended do to vibration of mirrors attached to tractor framme
    I've installed mirrors since my backup camera test failed.
    Mirrors with loader-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190226_173226.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	705912

And made a mount so I have mirrors when using the plow on the front quick hitch.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190802_130107.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	705914

In either case, the only time vibration is a problem for me is at idle. Bumping the engine RPM up just a little is enough to smooth things out so the mirrors are stable. Though it may be a different story with your tractor.
    Last edited by DanW; 09-20-2019 at 06:09 PM.
    mark02tj likes this.
    Efficiency is just intelligent laziness

2018 1023E w/120R loader & 53" bucket, 60D MMM w/auto PTO coupler & hydraulic lift, Deere 3rd Mid SCV, iMatch 3ph, ballast box, ROPS Light Guard, Deck Dolly, Edge Tamers, Ken's Hooks and diff pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Frontier AV20F Grapple, HLA HD0942 pallet forks, Grammer MSG85/721 Suspension Seat, Front Quick Hitch w/Hydraulic angle, Deere 60" QH Blade

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements