• 1 Post By toymaker
  • 1 Post By theduke

Thread: Is it me or are prices up AGAIN on tractors

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 02:07 PM
    Thanks

Is it me or are prices up AGAIN on tractors

So - just bought a 2025 beginning of the year...got around 10% off of the "sticker" price from memory.

Now, year has been better than I anticipated financially - and looking like I will need to spend some profits on equipment "upgrades" for the operation.

Checking out local Deere dealer thinking possibly a 3 series - or perhaps a new Gator. Now know sticker going in - asked what my price would be. Basicslly told me little to no room to discount presently. On top of that Deere finance seems to be less generous too - now 4.9% - 84 months on a Gator (was 60 months - 0% on my last purchase 2 years ago - when rates were higher).

Are sales on 3 series just that good? Or are cutbacks having the desired effect on inventory levels?

Another thought was going to be "new truck time" - but I fear the GM strike is going to cause a similar issue. Less inventory - less discounting. And if your Ford - why discount too far to cater to the converts...let them come to you (price point alone - Ford seemingly has an edge on GM for similar specd base model 3/4 ton trucks).
    wildbranch2007 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Don't tractor prices and financing incentives tend to be seasonal?

GM strike won't last forever.
    Last edited by MacCool; 09-24-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    DRobinson likes this.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks
    Deere changes up promotions twice a year so financing deals change. It all depends on what they want to push at any given time.

Deere has been changing up their marketing on a lot of this stuff. It used to be that when you looked at the "Build Your Own" prices on their web site the pricing included freight, setup, etc... A few months back someone noticed that base prices on tractors had dropped. Other people started poking around and found that now there is a disclaimer that freight, setup, etc.. fees would be added by the dealer.

My local dealer hasn't been willing to deal on the 3-series because he sells them faster than he can get them.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    I get the lack of discounting on 3 series in a way...but really, not THAT much different than the 2025 I bought not that long ago (which by the way - also just inquired on a 2nd and was told same - no discounts currently).

What suprised me more was lack of incentives on the Gator lineup. 4.9% is about what my credit union would do on anything. No real savings to the end user off sticker.

When I bought my 590, I think i got 1500 off AND upgraded wheels and PS. I went in looking at a 550 and wound up getting a 590 as the price was basically the same for taking a model year older that was in stock. Seems like there was ALWAYS 0% for 60 on the gator lineup until recently. Tariffs or something has cut into Deeres desire to push these - dont see demand spiking with a ton of clean used out there.

Seasonal demand and competition is part of it - yes. Spring is always prime selling season - but bug dealers need to keep the lights on 365 days a year - and theres always a sale on something. Was kinda suprising the dealership was not really pushing any of their own promotions - just Deere promos. Guess they realize sales are down so margings gotta exand - or just see from my history Im a soft mark. Either way - might have to go to MF for my next purchase. Just can never find an orange dealer aside from Messicks that I find price competitive to similarly specd Deere.

Got time for now - hopefully things change closer to year end. Just find it funny how all the analyst talk of falling ag equipment sales numbers - sure dont act it around here. Same old non helpful bunch - and even the guys I like cant do much in way of deals.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MacCool View Post
    l?
    GM strike won't last forever.
    No, but the effects might take all of 2020 to shake off.

Even if it runs its course in 6 weeks - the backlog of dealer orders to be filled and lack of 2019 leftovers will probably keep prices high in 2020.

No 2019s to blow out - lack of selection creates urgency in buyers minds and reduces the flexibility of dealers (why worry about buyers when you only have 1 or 2 in stock - buyers will find they need to buy from you and you gotta have something to showroom).

A new truck is probably my biggest "need" - but just cant force myself to pay what they bring these days..Just easier to justify new toys at half the price and live with my "old" 6 year old truck.
    mark02tj likes this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to toymaker For This Useful Post:

mark02tj (09-25-2019)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:48 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by toymaker View Post
    N

A new truck is probably my biggest "need" - but just cant force myself to pay what they bring these days..Just easier to justify new toys at half the price and live with my "old" 6 year old truck.

I've bought my last new truck...07 Dodge Cab&chassi 3500...240 k on the clock. It better make the 500k mile club.

Coulda bought a 95 dodge 3500 with 170k on clock last weekend @ auction for 4k....Shoulda. It was a stick to boot.

My daily go get the mail is a 78 ford SuperCab..I have 3 more Identical to back it up.

New trucks /new tractors....as much as I want...I'll go older & tough it out.

I'm not getting sucked in to anymore of the "new" as in you can't work on it and if problems arrise..Your in a bad situation.

I'll likely be driving my 55 m38a1 20 years from now just cause I can.
    wildbranch2007 likes this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements