Can we believe sponsore SCUT YouTubers?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree195Likes

Thread: Can we believe sponsore SCUT YouTubers?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks

Can we believe sponsore SCUT YouTubers?

I really am preparing to buy a SCUT, most-likely a JD 1025R or Kubota BX23S.

I've also followed the RK24 and other makes, but when the reviewer/user is provided the equipment at no cost, I find I'm very skeptical of their comments. (Yes, they can tell you that they are honest, and are not just endorsing for the freebies, but that's hard to believe).

Why would they point out troubles, and lose their free ride/equipment, plus their risk of losing their YouTube revenue? This is not only true of the tractors and attatchments, but also such other "provided" equipment like chainsaws, log splitters, power tools, trailers, etc. I just wonder what others think.

Likewise, when someone has spent the $$$$ to buy a certain brand, they sure don't wanna admit they should have bought another brand, and bad-mouth other brands to justify their purchases, too.

Am I too skeptical? If I could find local owners, I'd probably trust THEIR reviews/comments more than an endorsed/funded/provided reviewer on YouTube.

I'm just a small acreage suburban "farmer", looking for HONEST opinions before I plunk down $20K+ for a SCUT and a couple of attatchments.

thanks in advance
    Last edited by powrguy; 10-03-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    glc, BigJim55 and Tractor Tim like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,988 Times in 2,945 Posts
    Have you looked at this thread?
    Tractor Tim is usually pretty straightforward.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...omparison.html
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 10-03-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    glc, PaDave, rtgt and 7 others like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Personally, I have a very high level of confidence in suggestions and observations I see on Tractor Time with Tim. The only other significant YouTube tractor star I've seen is Neil Messick, and yeah...he's biased. But HE is actually a dealer. Bias is to be absolutely expected.
    Last edited by MacCool; 10-03-2019 at 07:41 AM.
    glc, PaDave, rtgt and 7 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post

Yeah; I've watched nearly every "Tractor Time with Tim", "Messick's", "Outdoors with the Morgans", and several other SCUT videos for the past year or more. In fact, TTWT is what got me thinking that a SCUT would be a good addition to my 8N, Gravely 8199, JD 345, and ZT HD60. I also think that depending on how the SCUT works out, I may be able to empty my barn of the 8N, 8199, and 345, possibly.

I have about 6 acres to maintain, and about 1/3 of it is wooded. Landscape-type work around the property is my main activity to be addressed, along with trails and tree issues in the woods.
    Last edited by powrguy; 10-03-2019 at 07:48 AM.
    glc, rtgt, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:46 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by powrguy View Post
    I really am preparing to buy a SCUT, most-likely a JD 1025R or Kubota BX23S.

I've also followed the RK24 and other makes, but when the reviewer/user is provided the equipment at no cost, I find I'm very skeptical of their comments. (Yes, they can tell you that they are honest, and are not just endorsing for the freebies, but that's hard to believe).

Why would they point out troubles, and lose their free ride/equipment, plus their risk of losing their YouTube revenue? This is not only true of the tractors and attatchments, but also such other "provided" equipment like chainsaws, log splitters, power tools, trailers, etc. I just wonder what others think.

Likewise, when someone has spent the $$$$ to buy a certain brand, they sure don't wanna admit they should have bought another brand, and bad-mouth other brands to justify their purchases, too.

Am I too skeptical? If I could find local owners, I'd probably trust THEIR reviews/comments more than an endorsed/funded/provided reviewer on YouTube.

I'm just a small acreage suburban "farmer", looking for HONEST opinions before I plunk down $20K+ for a SCUT and a couple of attatchments.

thanks in advance
    Tim is straight forward with his reviews. I don't disagree with your comments, but would add the companys know the weak points of their products. They test the heck out of them with many design reviews before they hit the market. It really boils down to price vs quality for them and a ton of other things. Pay attention to what they don't talk about to find the weaker points.
    glc, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 5 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:55 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post

The thread linked does probably the most honest comparison I've seen, very straight forward like Gizmo said, and as unbiased as any videos I've seen.
    glc, Gizmo2, PaDave and 7 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (10-03-2019)

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think there is a bad machine out there. You can watch the videos out there and take everything with a grain of salt. I would focus on the differences then go to a dealer and most will let you drive them around the lot if nothing else. Get your hands on the differences and see what your personal thoughts are.

A good example between JD and Kubota is how they each do forward/reverse. Very different approaches. Is one better than the other? They each make you move. What is more comfortable to you? Only you can answer that. My guess is there isn't much you will do with a machine that won't involve the forward reverse functions.

You can create a spreadsheet or take a bit of paper. Watch the videos and document where the machines differ. Then go to the dealer and see the difference in person. Put a check mark next to the one that works better for you, I would also at some point rank how important that feature it to you. Maybe the rear PTO is easier to attach on one vs the other but you have no plans for a rear PTO attachment. Well in that case note that it was easier on machine A but it is a low priority feature. That way if Machine B was easier for you to operate in forward/reverse but it was harder to hook up a PTO. Who cares, you are not using a PTO anyhow go with machine B.

You can watch the series from TTWT where he compared a Kubota to a JD.

John Deere 1025R vs. Kubota BX - YouTube

Is he 100% unbiased? I don't know, he is a member here and I find him pretty darn honest. If there is anything in the video series that could be looked at is a bias, it would be simply that he is comparing a machine which he has years of experience working with (the Deere) vs one he has little experience with but he is open about that and in several cases he posts a video then a second followup video based on comments from someone that has more experience with a Kubota. Maybe someone said, hey it is easier to do this task this way. I know the first time I put on the mower on my X585 I struggled. Heck I might struggle a bit now as it hasn't been on the machine in 3 years. Is a lack in understanding cause for blaming being biased? No I don't think so. Even if the Kubota he compared isn't the exact one you are considering, I feel this series is a good look at some of the differences in the brands to start to build the list of things that you need to compare in person.

Another channel which is good happens to be related to the series from TTWT. It is where he got the Kubota. While TTWT got the machine free, it was a loaner not from Kubota but from a dealer that focuses on the used (not new) market so he really doesn't have to answer to the parent company. That dealer is Good Works Tractor. Also a member here. I am sure he is also active on a Kubota dealer.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFM...QMktuLoyJ2QUlA

In this case he is a dealer who sells both. Why would he bad mouth JD or Kubota when he sells them both?

Ultimately there is some personal leg work you need to perform. Find those differences, figure out which of those differences work better for you. That will guide you to the best machine for your use case. Will they lift things with a FEL, will they all clear snow, will they all pull a trailer? Yes on all cases.

If you want my opinion... Well green is my favorite color unless you are talking Packers. Then it is Purple. So clearly the best machine out there (clearly looking at it with no bias) is a Norwegian driving a John Deere. There is no other right answer.

glc, Zebrafive, rtgt and 5 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Tractor Tim (10-03-2019)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:35 PM
    Thanks
    IMO, everyone should be a bit skeptical of any advertisement of anything. But there is a big difference between being skeptical and being cynical.

Go through the person's videos and see if they did a review on a product you are personally familiar with. Watch that. You can then see if the video review matches up with YOUR experience. If it does, then you can probably trust (to some degree) other videos that person makes. If they are overstating capabilities or making claims that don't hold up, well, then you know to expect that on their other videos as well.

Keep in mind also that a lot of these reviewers are being sent products by the manufacturer just to get their product out there. If I'm a manufacturer and people don't know my product exists, I'd send a few out anyway. Even if I get mediocre reviews people will suddenly know I exist. It's low cost advertising for me. I can always incorporate any complaints or suggestions into the "new and improved" version of my product.

For manufacturers there is a cost of acquire a new customer. Sending an implement to a YouTube reviewer is a whole lot cheaper then buying an ad in a national magazine or a national TV commercial. Sending equipment to a reviewer has it's trade offs. It's dirt cheap but you take your chances that you might not get great reviews.
    glc, PaDave, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Thanks
    Believe? Yeah, I'd say you can believe them.

The ones I've watched (most listed above, TTWT, ODWTM, Messicks) tell you all the good about the products. They may not point out the negatives / flaws (Though TTWT is pretty good about the ones he sees) but they all show you what the product(s) can do.

For example, there are TTWT vids of Tim doing things with a 1025 that I wouldn't have thought the tractor could handle.
    Is he biased to JD? possibly. BUT he still does the work/project with the equipment, thus proving what can be done.

Do they edit out failures, breakages, and issues. Maybe.

Bottom line:
    Can we believe that the 1025R, 2038R, Ventrac, and whatever 5 series Tim has are good equipment? Yep.
    Can we believe that the RK tractors and Stihl equipment that Mike Morgan runs are good products? Yep.
    Can we believe that the Kubota equipment that Messicks sells is quality? Yep.

Know why? Because it is. None of them are saying "This is the product you need to buy, cause it's the best out there"
    Instead, they are saying "this is what this product can do, do you need to be able to do this task? This product can help you."

So you want a SCUT.
    Tim likes his 1025R.
    Messicks likes their BX.
    Mike likes his RK.

Are any of them wrong? Nope. It's like a Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge.
    They give you the info, you the consumer have to make the educated decision on what is best for you based off of use, location, dealers, etc.
    glc, PaDave, rtgt and 5 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    I should add one more thing in all honesty.

I still stand by the fact that you are going to get down to nitpicking when comparing what is better however there is one other thing to look at that is a bigger deciding point.

DEALER SUPPORT

The one thing that would push me from green to some other color in a heartbeat is if there was no dealer support network that I could trust. If you have the best Kubota dealer in your back yard and all the JD dealers in 400 miles are crap, I would be driving orange. Afterall, they make spray paint...

Point being, really try and get a feel for dealer support. You can look at reviews. Again take them with a grain of salt. The people that complain are normally the ones that leave the most reviews. There are posts here about countless trips to the same dealer trying to fix that same problem where other dealers get it right the first time. I would rank that almost higher on my list than some of the minor differences. There are Kubota dealers in my area, none are as convenient as the JD dealer. The closest dealer to my house isn't a good dealer and I don't trust them. They are a standalone dealer but there is one close to my work that is a chain that is great.

You can hope and you may find that you get whatever machine home and never have an issue. It is when you do have an issue that you will need to lean on a good dealer. More importantly their support side of operations. Not sales. If they are good and can give you that support when you need them it is worth it.
    bigbear, rtgt, PJR832 and 2 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast