Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Diesel in winter

1. Top | #21

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post

Buying fresh fuel is paramount - always buy it from a busy place that sells a lot of diesel.
    Thatís is kinda what I was thing. Iím glad he told me about a place that goes thru alot of diesel and should be fresher.
    wildbranch2007 and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #22

Last Online
    Today @ 04:58 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DMagers View Post
    2007, why don't you just throw some additive in there?
    I do year round, but with some of the suppliers replacing the #1 diesel with additives instead, and many people saying on here don't over do the additives, how the heck do you really know what you are doing/getting. I mixed up my own 30/70 with stanadyn and stanasdyn lub mix for my tractor already. If I was a brave sole, I would mix up the same in the truck, for emergencies I did fill up a 5 gal can with non-dyed karo.
    PJR832 likes this.
    2025r fel snowblower

4. Top | #23
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 2,345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    I do year round, but with some of the suppliers replacing the #1 diesel with additives instead, and many people saying on here don't over do the additives, how the heck do you really know what you are doing/getting. I mixed up my own 30/70 with stanadyn and stanasdyn lub mix for my tractor already. If I was a brave sole, I would mix up the same in the truck, for emergencies I did fill up a 5 gal can with non-dyed karo.
    Iím fortunate to have a bulk tank for my tractor. I buy my fuel oil once a year in the summer and have them fill my tractor tank at the same time. So I know I am buying summer fuel and just treat the tractor tank with Stanadyne at delivery. Never any issues.

Iíve run the tractor at around 0* - any colder than that I donít need to be out there.
    bhill, jgayman, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #24

Last Online
    Thanks
    Hi All - I was over at the Mobil station today getting milk and asked the manager if he had records of the last diesel delivery. He went in back and came back a few minutes later and said it was a 50:50 mix and The prior delivery was 70:30.

Does that sound about right for an area that has already had sub zero temps and snow on the ground?

7. Top | #25
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 2,345 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebg18t View Post
    Hi All - I was over at the Mobil station today getting milk and asked the manager if he had records of the last diesel delivery. He went in back and came back a few minutes later and said it was a 50:50 mix and The prior delivery was 70:30.

Does that sound about right for an area that has already had sub zero temps and snow on the ground?
    Not answering your question but I think you are the first to get a real answer with real numbers from a fueling station.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

8. Top | #26
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:12 AM
    Thanks

That sounds about right, and similar to what you would find in my neck of the woods. By mid January we might be at 30:70
    4720 66hp Open Station, Power Beyond, 3rd, 4th and 5th Rear SCV, iMatch, 400cx with SSQA, 3rd Loader Function, MX6, BoDozer Grapple
    JD 320D Skid Loader
    Gator 865r...Fully Pimped Out

X748SE 24hp, 647 Tiller, 54" front blade, 47 Snow Blower, 62C deck, JD disk

JD 997 Zero Turn

Farmall B

2 miniature donkeys, 1/8 hp (each)

9. Top | #27
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:37 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arlen View Post
    That sounds about right, and similar to what you would find in my neck of the woods. By mid January we might be at 30:70

Iím fortunate to have a bulk tank for my tractor. I buy my fuel oil once a year in the summer and have them fill my tractor tank at the same time. So I know I am buying summer fuel and just treat the tractor tank with Stanadyne at delivery. Never any issues.

Iíve run the tractor at around 0* - any colder than that I donít need to be out there.
    I just got my diesel fuel delivery Friday 11/22/19. I forgot to specify that that I wanted 100% #2, so when checking my ticket today, I discovered that they automatically delivered 80/20. A couple of years ago when I thought I would be using a lot that winter, I asked for 70/30 and got it. Since they will no longer deliver 100 gallons, I had to go for the 200 gallons minimum. That means I will be using 80/20 during the summer and I am not happy about that. I should have no problems this winter as I don't normally get out there if it is below the teens even with the cab. It rarely gets below zero here, but I have already had 7 above, so it could be a cold winter. I saved 40 cents per gallon over what I could get it for at the pump in town last week. That is a savings of $80. I have already paid for the cost of the tank some time ago. Not to mention the convenience of having the fuel right here.

I tried to find a chart showing the various gel points, but it appears that it is so variable by fuel supplier that there is none available. The best I could come up with is that #1 diesel is good down to about -40 degrees, but #2 diesel can be problematic starting in the +20s. Adding the right supplements can lower gel points even further. I sympathize with you hardy people living up north, but not enough for me to visit you, let alone live there. Even this far south, I insist on having a cab on my tractor.

Dave
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #28

Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Thanks
    I just bring fuel back 50 gallons at a time in a reefer trailer from North Dakota 🤣

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. Top | #29

Last Online
    Today @ 08:34 AM
    Thanks
    Itís not a big issue if you do it right. The biggest issues are people that turn less the a tank a month. The additive of your choice blended with seasonal blend make it work.

I had a trouble duramax truck that might have issues a -5, found the block heater and I was good to -20. The fuel filter was the issue. If it didnít fire on second spin I had to pump the fuel primer. It was the key until-25. Even after starting and warming it would only do 1/8 throttle without stalling. -25 is a daily low, but the truck recovered sitting in sun, my 430 yanmar did fire off and run strong even if the garage never warms.

12. Top | #30

Last Online
    Thanks
    Not answering your question but I think you are the first to get a real answer with real numbers from a fueling station.
    Problem is I have no way to know if he was blowing smoke or being honest. I am hoping honest, but you just never know..
    coaltrain and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast