Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Diesel in winter

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks

Diesel in winter

Just purchased a new Ď19 1025R with FEL, 54Ē snow blower, 54Ē deck & rear bracket with suitcase weights. Itís getting delivered in a few days. I traded in my x585 to upgrade. Super excited. This is my first diesel so I requested the block heater and Iíll keep the battery on the tender. Other than activating the block heater for a brief period before starting (30-45min), what else should I know about diesel engines in winter. It will be stored in our garage (unheated).
    Last edited by ebg18t; 11-15-2019 at 03:27 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    glc
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:46 PM
    Thanks
    Greg from western pa

2009 2520
    FEL/61" HD bucket/replaceable cutting edge
    62D2 MMM
    IMatch Quick Hitch
    A "REAL" snow blade ---- JD 380A modded to fit
    Homemade 3PT Receiver
    Homemade Ballast Box
    Woods GB65 Box Blade

2019 JOHN DEERE X390 with 48" ACCEL DEEP DECK

MY 2520 SE SEAT MOD:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...d-for-the-2520

MY BALLAST BOX
    https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...llast-box.html

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 03:33 PM
    Thanks
    Congrats on the new tractor. I am entering this winter with my first diesel as well. This video was very helpful.

1. you are likely going to want to winterize your diesel and do it before the diesel gets cold in the unheated garage.
    2. you can turn your ignition key on, to let the starting aids get warm, then cycle the key again, 2-3 times to let them get good and warm before actually cranking the tractor. You wont need to do this if you have a heater as the engine will already be heated.

my tractor starts fine cold but it does cough and smoke for a bit. I went with a 5w40 full synthetic as I expect winter cold starts to be a common practice with my snowblowing tractor.
    ebg18t likes this.
    2015 Gen 1 2025r, 62"mmm that I do not use, 60" Frontier rotary cutter, 48" Frontier box blade, 61" bucket with Piranha toothbar, 36" Titan forks, Ballast box filled with concrete blocks, groovey tires, and 2 link ladder chains.

Next purchase is a 3 point snowblower

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    @rjm240 - I actually watched that video last night, still need to order some additive. Was going to research the JD one vs the top one in the video.

Do you know what weight oil comes as factory fill?

How long is the glow plug cycle? 15-25 sec?

Thanks

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:35 PM
    Thanks
    I'm sure the fuel sold up in N. Vermont is winter blend. You shouldn't have too much issue with gelling or freezing unless it gets extremely cold. A proper dose of a winter fuel additive should be all you need to keep things going smoothly.

Does the 1025R have a glow plug light on the dash? I know my 3039R does - when the light goes out, it's ready to crank. The plugs are automatic, and only come on if the temps are cold enough to warrant it -- below 30F or so.
    ebg18t likes this.
    2019 JD 3039R Cab, 320R Loader, BB2072 Box Blade, AP10F Forks, BH15 Bush Hog, 3rd SCV + lines, AV20H Grapple, JD Ballast Box, I-Match
    2018 JD X570, 48" AccelDeep Deck, Deluxe Brush Guard

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:00 PM
    Thanks
    when it is very cold out I find it is very helpful to cycle the glow plug two or three times before starting the engine.
    wildbranch2007 and ebg18t like this.
    JD 3032E...D160 Loader...I Match...Woods RD72 Finish Mower (JD green).

JD 1025R....60D mowing deck...I match...54" snow blower...ballast box...17P poly cart.

Husqvarna GTH220...50" mowing deck.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,176 Times in 2,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hammong View Post
    I'm sure the fuel sold up in N. Vermont is winter blend. You shouldn't have too much issue with gelling or freezing unless it gets extremely cold. A proper dose of a winter fuel additive should be all you need to keep things going smoothly.

Does the 1025R have a glow plug light on the dash? I know my 3039R does - when the light goes out, it's ready to crank. The plugs are automatic, and only come on if the temps are cold enough to warrant it -- below 30F or so.
    Just to note for a first time diesel user - the fuel will be treated if you buy it in winter. If you buy it in the summer or fall it will not be treated. Go to use that fuel in the winter and you will have problems.

This is why I and others treat our fuel with winter additive all year round - no wondering if you have winter or summer fuel.
    jdforever, ErikR, BWV and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

Diesel in winter

I actually asked today at Maple Fields (Mobil fuel) about the diesel being winter blend. They had no idea what I was talking about. I am assuming it is winter blend starting in early fall since we had our first frost in early October and itís been below zero already.

Iím not sure if there is a glow plug light on the dash, itís getting delivered next week. Iím looking forward to having a little more power in the heavy snow storms. My x585 was very good, but I think this 1025R is going to be even better.
    Last edited by ebg18t; 11-15-2019 at 09:03 PM.

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:43 AM
    Thanks
    I plug my 1026R in 2-3 hours before I want to use it. There is a lot less smoke in my garage and the cab heater warms up a lot faster than a shorter plug in time. In an emergency, other than the smoke and rough idle, I have started in below zero Fahrenheit temps so the heater is not an absolute requirement, just extreamly nice to have.
    ErikR and ebg18t like this.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    2012 JD 1026R with FEL, 54" MMM, I-Match, King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH, JD Ballast Box.
    47" Snow Blower, 54" Front Blade, Fits Both Tractors Quick Hitch
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,619 Times in 1,327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ebg18t View Post
    I actually asked today at Maple Fields (Mobil fuel) about the diesel being winter blend. They had no idea what I was talking about. I am assuming it is winter blend starting in early fall since we had our first frost in early October and it’s been below zero already.
    Not a safe assumption, my main supplier just started blending with 10% kero this week. Myself and a few other retailers actually cornered them at a meeting/dinner Wednesday night and asked about blending earlier in season, they'll look into it was our answer. If I have a customer with a 1000 gallon tank and say he still has 500 gallons left and we now add diesel blended with 10% kero, he still has not enough kero blended after our delivery to even mention.
    As far as asking a station attendant, most station attendants wouldn't have a clue what difference between gasoline and diesel is, let alone whether or not the diesel is blended. Add to that you actually ask to what percentage it is blended and you will literally blow their minds. They will however think you are one smart fella for even having knowledge that such a thing exists.

It varies by region, but my point is that they never start blending right off at 30%. They will build it up as time goes on, unless it just slams off with record cold, then they will take more aggressive action.
    Last edited by PJR832; 11-15-2019 at 06:14 PM.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PJR832 For This Useful Post:

rydplrs†(11-24-2019)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com