Not happy with return process & $ lost, but it is what it is...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree90Likes

Thread: Not happy with return process & $ lost, but it is what it is...

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-18-2019 @ 06:54 AM
    Thanks

Not happy with return process & $ lost, but it is what it is...

I absolutely love GFP, the fast and free shipping for orders over $75 and their courteous sales professionals, but I'm just a tad grumpy about losing $40 to return two items that cost $101, which were part of a $135 order. I should have just tossed one of the items in the trash ($48 item) and saved on the return shipping or sold them on ebay! It cost me over $20 to UPS the package back and then I lost approx. $20 of the refund due to the outgoing shipping fee of the original order becoming a charge since I returned part of the order even though I sent through another order of $170 to order the correct items (threw in another $91 item). If I split up the most recent $170 order, it would have been $82 and $91, both qualifying for free shipping.

Basically, any $ that I may have saved over the course of the year is out the door due to the return... Think long and hard before you return anything guys, especially if there is a restocking fee...

To compare this situation to a large automotive parts supplier that I've been doing business with for a number of year now, Summit Racing, I NEVER pay return shipping (yes, they will send a call tag) or receive a charge for shipping of the original order (they offer free shipping for orders over $100)... Maybe it's because I've been doing business with them for years, who knows.
    Levi likes this.
    John Deere 1026R (MY 2012) Purchased April 2013
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    60D (7-iron) Autoconnect MMM
    JD 3-Bag MCS w/Honda GC160 Power "Pak"
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    Artillian 42"x3" Forks w/2" Receiver
    48" EA XTreme Duty Box Blade
    36" EA Independent Wheel Lawn Aerator w/Alternating Depth Tines
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266
    42" Freedom Mulching Deck
    Larger LX model wheels/tires

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-14-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    I absolutely love GFP, the fast and free shipping for orders over $75 and their courteous sales professionals, but I'm just a tad grumpy about losing $40 to return two items that cost $101, which were part of a $135 order. I should have just tossed one of the items in the trash ($48 item) and saved on the return shipping or sold them on ebay! It cost me over $20 to UPS the package back and then I lost approx. $20 of the refund due to the outgoing shipping fee of the original order becoming a charge since I returned part of the order even though I sent through another order of $170 to order the correct items (threw in another $91 item). If I split up the most recent $170 order, it would have been $82 and $91, both qualifying for free shipping.

Basically, any $ that I may have saved over the course of the year is out the door due to the return... Think long and hard before you return anything guys, especially if there is a restocking fee...

To compare this situation to a large automotive parts supplier that I've been doing business with for a number of year now, Summit Racing, I NEVER pay return shipping (yes, they will send a call tag) or receive a charge for shipping of the original order (they offer free shipping for orders over $100)... Maybe it's because I've been doing business with them for years, who knows.
    I've owned a sales company. I will never fault a company for charging a restocking fee and/or making the person pay for the return shipping. Now, if the company made an error with your order then the company should pay all fees, however, if the customer is returning for any other reason then the customer should be out the money. The company should never be out money because the customer changed their mind or ordered the wrong part or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DRobinson, Zebrafive and Levi like this.
    3046r Cab, H165 w/61" bucket, Frontier 72"BB, MX6, and Woods TCR68" Tiller.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Agree.

Just to make sure this is clear - I paid for the return shipping & the shipping cost of the original order because I returned parts from that order... even though I spent another $170 to replace the items that were incorrect and added another $91 on top of that.

I actually worked through which part numbers to order with a GFP rep and due to my MCS being older, the part number listed on jdparts, for what appeared to be correct, were not, hence the return and order of another part to attempt to find the right one. Per Deere, the item that is coming is the correct one, we shall see... The other item, well, took the part number from jdparts as well, and it was incorrect. Live and learn.

I come from 20 years of experience dealing with mail order parts suppliers, Jeg's, Summit, NPD, Year One, etc., in the muscle car hobby and have never been charged the shipping on an order that was sent back (with free shipping) when I re-ordered... But, it's GFP's business model and they can do what they want... it was noted in the fine print, just making note to others, that's all. I'm fully aware of the cost of doing business these days and how shipping is a large component of that cost.
    Last edited by Green Man; 10-31-2014 at 11:14 PM.
    Levi and Jep like this.
    H120 FEL with 49" bucket, Ken's 5/16" Bolt on Hooks & BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Milharri View Post
    I've owned a sales company. I will never fault a company for charging a restocking fee and/or making the person pay for the return shipping. Now, if the company made an error with your order then the company should pay all fees, however, if the customer is returning for any other reason then the customer should be out the money. The company should never be out money because the customer changed their mind or ordered the wrong part or whatever.

I can agree with you, if you look at this situation purely from a business standpoint. Yes, if a customer changes their mind, why should the business pay? However, this is a good, returning customer that has patronized many times in the past. That said, there can and should be a bit of reprieve to this customer. If there isn't, he/she may not be a good customer in the future (hence the start of this thread).

I go through this type of thing every day. Just like the Kenny Loggins song "The Gambler", know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. Business is a give and take, be kind to your customers, give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it becomes habitual, give them a wake-up slap, if it continues further cut em' loose.
    Green Man, Levi and Jep like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Agree.

Just to make sure this is clear - I paid for the return shipping & the shipping cost of the original order because I returned parts from that order... even though I spent another $170 to replace the items that were incorrect and added another $91 on top of that.

I actually worked through which part numbers to order with a GFP rep and due to my MCS being older, the part number listed on jdparts, for what appeared to be correct, were not, hence the return and order of another part to attempt to find the right one. Per Deere, the item that is coming is the correct one, we shall see... The other item, well, took the part number from jdparts as well, and it was incorrect. Live and learn.

I come from 20 years of experience dealing with mail order parts suppliers, Jeg's, Summit, NPD, Year One, etc., in the muscle car hobby and have never been charged the shipping on an order that was sent back (with free shipping) when I re-ordered... But, it's GFP's business model and they can do what they want... it was noted in the fine print, just making note to others, that's all. I'm fully aware of the cost of doing business these days and how shipping is a large component of that cost.
    From what you say here they should NOT have charged you return shipping/restock fees. Going over the part #'s with a GFP rep, to me is their fault as they are supposed to know what they are doing and which part goes to which item. I for one don't know everything about parts that work with what item. Just sayin...
    Zebrafive and Green Man like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonton View Post
    I can agree with you, if you look at this situation purely from a business standpoint. Yes, if a customer changes their mind, why should the business pay? However, this is a good, returning customer that has patronized many times in the past. That said, there can and should be a bit of reprieve to this customer. If there isn't, he/she may not be a good customer in the future (hence the start of this thread).

I go through this type of thing every day. Just like the Kenny Loggins song "The Gambler", know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run. Business is a give and take, be kind to your customers, give them the benefit of the doubt, but if it becomes habitual, give them a wake-up slap, if it continues further cut em' loose.
    Kenny Rogers......just sayin
    rgd, farmgirl19, 5304 and 3 others like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 660 Posts
    Agree.

I would call them back. In the paragraph above, incorrect part numbers are the problem. The customer should not be responsible if the part numbers and the wrong parts are sent out because of this. Deere has provided you and GFP wrong information.

I buy local as much as possible. I want to get to know and visit with the people at the counter. That way, if I have a more serious problem down the road, maybe they will remember me, think of me as a loyal customer, and treat me as such.
    Also, I find that their prices are very competitive. Sure, it cost me time and gas money to make the trip, but it is time and money better spent than on freight charges. Just my opinion.
    2013 1025R
    (Oct. 1, 2013 Used with 20hrs.)
    H120 loader -- 60D AutoConnect MMM --Frontier RB2060 blade -- Modified RIO -- Northstar Sprayer -- Fimco Spreader -- Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks.
    "Kitty" 2000-2014
    Carl

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I know GFP is a sponsor and they truly are awesome (seriously), have decent prices, and I'm not trying to create any friction or get on anyone's black list as a result of my post - just wanted to share my experience with the return process. The restocking fee was waived. I'll give them a call back to see if anything can be done - but it will be what it will be and I'm not going to be a jerk if they say this is our policy. I just found it odd and a tad distasteful that the initial free shipping charge was converted to the actual shipping charge even though I indicated that I was going to re-order in an attempt to purchase the correct parts and I added a $91 item to the "re-order" as well.

Heck, I bought a set of cast iron heads from Summit and they were sent under their "free shipping," method and when they arrived, I was unhappy with the intake and exhaust port finish on the heads and they sent a call tag and I ordered a set of aluminum heads to replace. They didn't charge me a dime and didn't know that I was going to order the aluminum heads either. Those cast iron heads were a fortune to ship since they weighed about 50lbs a piece! I'm a customer for life with them as a result.

Levi likes this.
    260 BH with 12" bucket
    52" Ratchet Rake
    iMatch QH

2003 John Deere LX266

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 07:31 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    Kenny Rogers......just sayin
    Darn it! But in my defense, I was very groggy after working on the shed all day, then taking the kids trick-or-treating (had to be a five mile walk...ugh).Also, they were both popular in the '80's, and both named Kenny, and both had a beard and a mullet... oh, and I don't have cable, and I live with the Amish. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    From what you say here they should NOT have charged you return shipping/restock fees. Going over the part #'s with a GFP rep, to me is their fault as they are supposed to know what they are doing and which part goes to which item. I for one don't know everything about parts that work with what item. Just sayin...
    I would agree if GFP rep helped you and you got the wrong parts, they should have born the costs.

I bought an item from them and they sent the wrong part. The part I wanted was either no longer available or the part I got had been miss tagged. I no longer remember. I emailed them and they offered to issue a call tag and refund or refund what would have been their return shipping cost if I could make the part work. I ended up keeping the part and got $$ back. There never was any mention of having to pay shipping costs if I returned the part. But in my case the wrong part was sent.

If the facts are as you state, I think GFP should bear the costs. Did you contact them first before you returned the wrong parts?

Hope to see a response here from GFP!
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast