The Long Haul
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree1281Likes

Thread: The Long Haul

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:43 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,173 Times in 1,224 Posts

The Long Haul

I am starting this thread here, in the hauling forum with the specific intent of helping fellow GTT'er, ***********, who is often called **. As some of you may be aware, WB is a Veteran and recently, he had both legs amputated about 4" beneath the knees . He has a 1025r tractor that he calls Betsy, which is something he really enjoys using. He was very concerned about using Betsy once he returned home following his surgery.

I mentioned on the Good Morning thread, where ** regularly posted prior to his surgery and occasionally since the operation as he is able, that I am going to provide a new Ken's Bolt on Hook's Cab Step for **'s tractor in the hopes this will help him with his new prosthetics regain his ability to climb onto the operator platform and run his tractor once again.

JDForever, contacted me and indicated he would also like to help ** in his return to home and using his tractor. JDForever is going to provide the new 1 series assist handle which is soon to be released by Ken at Ken's Bolt on Hooks. JDF and I were corresponding via PM's and email and discussing this issue when he suggested starting a thread where we could coordinate the offers of assistance or any items which ** would find helpful.

We wanted a place in the public forum where we could have this discussion but that ** was unlikely to discover in his normal Use of GTT. From what I have heard from Jason (Dieselshadow), ** usually stays within the categories of the "Other" threads and Implements and Attachments and the SCUT categories. I came up with the idea speaking with JDF that we would "Hide our Thread to help ** in Plain Sight", and after consideration of a host of facts which I won't get into, I chose the hauling forum because it's not widely used and ** doesn't visit this thread.

So, here we are. I don't know when he is going to be released from rehabilitation and returning home. He has a very "Long Haul" ahead of him on his road to his new normal with his prosthetic lower leg limbs. I felt providing him with the step would be an emotional uplifting experience for him and encourage him to regain the use of Betsy again.

JDF is spot on that the assistance handle(s) are also going to be very important. While this thread was launched to help coordinate the effort to provide ** with these items to encourage him and also provide practical assistance for his use of the machine, I am sure there are numerous other things and ways which those interested at GTT could provide some motivation and practical assistance.

Other ideas I had included the Heavy Hitch trash can cart hauling bracket(s). If I recall, the very last thing ** wrote that he did with Betsy the day before he went into the hospital was to use Betsy to haul the trash carts to the curb and it seems like he may have even posted a picture of the tractor with the carts in the bucket, if I recall. This would be a safer and easier way to complete this task.

So, fellow GTT'ers, if you are interested in helping ** in any way, large or small, this is a thread to share ideas, discuss the plans each of us may have to help and also avoid efforts which could result in duplication of items or providing items which he may already have, etc.

Consider this an open discussion for asking questions, making suggestions and even getting and giving ideas of assistance for **.

I don't know ************ other than having "spoken" very briefly among threads here on GTT. I will work on getting his address and contact information and perhaps, even making contact with his wife so she can give us some insight and ideas and suggestions.

Please don't mention any details of this in the open threads, let's just refer to it as "The Long Haul". I would like to make as much of this as we can a surprise for ** once he returns home, which at this point, I haven't heard when he thought that might be.

As many of you know, my wife and I like to send animal friends we make on GTT nice little surprise packages during the holidays and at other special times or events. I am pretty sure ** has a dog as well, and if so, we will be sending his K9 companion a little gift box as ** has been away for some time and it would likely brighten the pups day as well.

I am going to go into the Good Morning thread and contact those who have already contacted me about helping ** in some manner so they can come over to this thread and post thoughts or ideas and share information.

** is a fellow GTT'er, an American Veteran and someone who had endured some very serious medical issues and some extremely tough times with what he is going through. His posts on GTT have remained positive and considering what he is going through, remarkably positive. He has a very good attitude about the entire process and he has been looking ahead to the next chapter in his life when he and his wife return home. If we can help him establish his new normal routine and regain the use of Betsy the tractor as well as any other ideas or assistance, lets do what we can to help.

You know, even doing something nice for his wife, Mrs. ** would be a very good idea. ** has posted about how worried about her he has been and how she always has a valiant attitude and in control demeanor when she is with him, he worries about the stress on her and her struggling to deal with all of this when they are apart. So, perhaps something to help Mrs. ** and to remind her that they have friends here on GTT who are thinking of them.

I am going to ask that each person either forward their own items to **, have something drop shipped to him or forwarded to him directly. I don't need to be in the middle of any gifts or whatever someone may have in mind. I do want to make sure he is home before anything is sent or done. The last thing I want is for our good intentions to be a burden on ** or his wife in anyway.

Thanks for listening and I hope we can help ** regain his independence and the use of Betsy once again and do something special for both ** and Mrs. **. Thanks for anything you can do and even sharing ideas and thoughts.

(Mrs. Bear and I will see that the ** K9 kids are provided with something special, as well, that's Mrs. Bear's specialty).

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

2. The Following 34 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Auguste (04-02-2019), BigJim55 (04-01-2019), bob (04-06-2019), Bubber (04-01-2019), CDaveP (04-04-2019), dianedebuda (04-02-2019), DRobinson (04-02-2019), etcallhome (04-02-2019), farmgirl19 (04-17-2019), fdmars (04-02-2019), Gizmo2 (04-04-2019), Herminator (04-01-2019), HVACguy (04-02-2019), jdforever (04-01-2019), JDSwan87 (04-02-2019), Jeff B (04-03-2019), Jep (04-05-2019), johnH123 (04-01-2019), joshn3448 (Yesterday), Kennyd (04-02-2019), Levi (04-02-2019), MadOx (04-02-2019), mark02tj (04-02-2019), Marlin (04-04-2019), OxPath (04-02-2019), PJR832 (04-02-2019), Robnik (04-02-2019), Rogero246 (04-01-2019), rtgt (04-01-2019), spferdil (04-06-2019), steveontheridge2 (04-05-2019), Tomfive (04-01-2019), Toughsox (04-01-2019), ttazzman (04-28-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Something to consider. There are modifications that his home needs to have done and it sounds like some of this will be done by the VA??? but that sounded odd to me. Either way could a account be set up where we could do a donation because I am sure there are many things that would make his adjustment easier. Just a thought.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Herminator For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (04-02-2019), etcallhome (04-02-2019), farmgirl19 (04-17-2019), joshn3448 (Yesterday), mark02tj (04-02-2019), Marlin (04-04-2019), OxPath (04-02-2019), PJR832 (04-02-2019), Ransx77 (04-02-2019), Robnik (04-02-2019), Toughsox (04-01-2019)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Something to consider. There are modifications that his home needs to have done and it sounds like some of this will be done by the VA??? but that sounded odd to me. Either way could a account be set up where we could do a donation because I am sure there are many things that would make his adjustment easier. Just a thought.
    I am sure the list of needs is long. A Go Fund Me account or something similar would likely be the best for such donations. But to be honest, I feel that needs to be handled by someone close to him and who knows him well. I am not qualified to get into his personal matters as my only real knowledge and exposure is limited to interactions here on GTT.

Unless someone has other ideas how to handle the account. I would prefer to not be directly involved in that aspect of any assistance and help for WB. It requires personal knowledge and details which are simply unknown to me. Also, such efforts would require coordination with his wife and with VA's involvement and other agencies he has mentioned and the complex rules for qualifying for such assistance, I wouldn't want to inadvertently disqualify them for something they may have worked hard to set up.

That's why I decided to focus on helping him with Betsie and leaving the rest to family and friends to set up such an account.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Robnik (04-02-2019), Toughsox (04-01-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

9. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    I have not been a member here all that long. Heck, I dont even have a tractor yet (because Imi still 388 days away from retirement)
    Yet even in my short time here, I've learned SOOOO much and know exactly what tractor I'm leaning towards due to the help I've received here already (and yes Sulley, it WILL have a Mauser cab on it ) ...... either by questions I've asked or just reading all the new daily threads. There are so many of you whose names I now recognize on a daily basis and look forward to reading.

But, its stories like this one that make people want to come together to help. And while I can't say I recall any particular topics by WB, the fact that you've told his story will definitely make people want to help.

As a mechanic by trade, I wish I could be close to him to help him out, with any sort of modifications on his tractor or his home but as we are all in different parts of the country, that just isn't practical....... and that's why this suggestion by @Herminator hits the nail on the head...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Either way could a account be set up where we could do a donation because I am sure there are many things that would make his adjustment easier. Just a thought.
    Its an excellent suggestion, and something Id be honored to contribute to. :

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughsox For This Useful Post:

jdforever (04-02-2019), Robnik (04-02-2019), SulleyBear (04-01-2019)

11. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toughsox View Post
    I have not been a member here all that long. Heck, I dont even have a tractor yet (because Imi still 388 days away from retirement)
    Yet even in my short time here, I've learned SOOOO much and know exactly what tractor I'm leaning towards due to the help I've received here already (and yes Sulley, it WILL have a Mauser cab on it ) ...... either by questions I've asked or just reading all the new daily threads. There are so many of you whose names I now recognize on a daily basis and look forward to reading.

But, its stories like this one that make people want to come together to help. And while I can't say I recall any particular topics by WB, the fact that you've told his story will definitely make people want to help.

As a mechanic by trade, I wish I could be close to him to help him out, with any sort of modifications on his tractor or his home but as we are all in different parts of the country, that just isn't practical....... and that's why this suggestion by @Herminator hits the nail on the head...........

Its an excellent suggestion, and something Id be honored to contribute to. :
    We have a number of GTT members in WB's area of the country and perhaps one or more of them know him and much more about his situation. Hopefully, one of those people will be able to assist in such a manner and provide the back story and other important information to really do that type of "assistance plan" correctly.

There have been a few GTT members who have had situations where they needed some financial help. In those cases, I have just sent them a Prepaid VISA Gift card that didn't have inappropriate fees and time limits. They can use the gift card any way they need it as a debit card and it prevents a check from having to be deposited and frankly, providing personal identification details I didn't want to share. They haven't been big Prepaid Cards, between $100 and $400, but they were appreciated and put to use.

In one case, the situation changed and the original issue for which the member sought funds turned out couldn't be performed (it was a medical procedure) and the member contacted me and wanted to know if I wanted him to return the card because the need for which he had requested it changed. I told him to keep it and use it in other helpful ways, which they appreciated.

I was impressed he honestly shared the change in situation and asked about keeping the card. Just because that need changed, I am sure other needs exist.

So perhaps the gift cards are a way to send such assistance to WB or anyone else who may need it. The cards are good virtually everywhere and I kept a copy of all the information in case it was lost, etc. it could be replaced. Its a way to send the money and not have the 5% to 10% in fees taken which some of the fundraiser programs and products charge.

But I will be the first to admit this isn't an area I spend any time learning about. My main goal was to make a contribution to help but I also wanted to maintain my anonymity and privacy and avoid the costs of some of the other programs.

I am sure some will have other ideas and other methods. That's why I wanted to start this discussion.....

Just so you know, we don't have a ""Mandatory retirement to have a tractor "" rule anymore. Many of us are still employed and a few are even still working and contributing members to society.....So, feel free to add the machine to the toybox inventory any day.....and of course, post pictures....they are a requirement....

1025R with Mauser Cab

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

Toughsox (04-01-2019)

13. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:58 PM
    Thanks
    Sulley,

I contacted Ken @Kens Bolt on Grab Hooks earlier today informing him of my intention to purchase his new 1 series grab handle (when available) to be direct shipped to Wentonbrown.

Greg
    aka:jdforever
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian Quick-Tatch / Artillian pallet fork set/36" forks / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jdforever For This Useful Post:

farmgirl19 (04-17-2019), Kennyd (04-02-2019), MadOx (04-02-2019), Robnik (04-02-2019), SulleyBear (04-02-2019)

15. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:19 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Just so you know, we don't have a ""Mandatory retirement to have a tractor "" rule anymore. Many of us are still employed and a few are even still working and contributing members to society.....So, feel free to add the machine to the toybox inventory any day.....and of course, post pictures....they are a requirement....
    Unfortunately, my current home is 30x30 on a 50x100 lot. Single car garage thats packed to the gills. And the garage door opening wouldnt allow a SCUT inside unless I took the ROPS or in my case, the cab off. so the Mrs and I will begin our house hunting early this summer, with the idea that we should find out dream retirement home (with at least 2 acres.....thus the need for the tractor) As it stands right now, I use a push mower once a week on our current property and it takes a whopping 20 minutes to do so..... until we retire, I simply cant even fit a SCUT on my property. But, that day's a coming.

Lastly, if you can share his mailing info somehow, or want someone to be the holder of gift cards like you suggested, then Id be in for something that way as well.
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:56 PM
    Thanks
    what part of the country is WB located...i may have missed it in the OP
    John Deere
    5105M
    Caterpillar
    D4Hxl
    416C
    Gehl
    5635DX

17. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,989 Times in 1,291 Posts
    I know the general area where WB lives. I am about 80 miles away and would be happy to go to his place and install the step and grab handle. I need an address to find his house though. Let me know if you would like me to do that. I think it might be difficult for him to mount the step because the factory installed bolts can be tough to break loose.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to DRobinson For This Useful Post:

BigJim55 (04-03-2019), farmgirl19 (04-17-2019), Gizmo2 (04-04-2019), Herminator (04-02-2019), jdforever (04-02-2019), Jeff B (04-03-2019), Kennyd (04-02-2019), Levi (04-02-2019), OxPath (04-02-2019), Robnik (04-02-2019), spferdil (04-07-2019), SulleyBear (04-02-2019)

19. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ttazzman View Post
    what part of the country is WB located...i may have missed it in the OP
    Quote Originally Posted by DRobinson View Post
    I know the general area where WB lives. I am about 80 miles away and would be happy to go to his place and install the step and grab handle. I need an address to find his house though. Let me know if you would like me to do that. I think it might be difficult for him to mount the step because the factory installed bolts can be tough to break loose.
    He has his location listed as Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. I have to obtain his mailing address and other details and then will provide them, once I get them, to those interested via Private Messages to avoid violating his privacy with a public web posting.

Please understand, everyone, we are in the early stages of this and its going to be a little time as I have to figure out a way to contact his wife, who I also don't even know her name, to get these details. So, everyone, please be patient.

Don, you are a heck of a guy and I sincerely appreciate your offer. We will stay in touch on this issue and I expect it could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few months before we are ready for such a trip and generous offer of assistance. Thanks again, Don.....

The step requires a 24mm socket and a torque wrench capable of 233 foot pounds of torque for the loader bolts, so you will need to make sure to have an extra Gizmo morning diner donut that day....

I just looked up Stroudsburg, PA on the Google Maps and it is right on Interstate 80, west of Newark, NJ about 65 miles and its also 41 miles north of Allentown, PA. It's also 295 miles east of Pittsburg, Pa.

It's only about 700 miles east of where I am......

This thread is only about 12 hours old and already, the responses and input have been wonderful. Thank you everyone who has contacted me here, via PM, email and in other ways....

1025R with Mauser Cab

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

DRobinson (04-02-2019), jdforever (04-02-2019), Robnik (04-02-2019)

21. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast