Thread: Deere plans layoffs at eastern Iowa, western Illinois plants

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,535 Posts

Deere plans layoffs at eastern Iowa, western Illinois plants

Source: https://newschannel20.com/news/local...-sh1U3xnwqL6zU

DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) -- Deere & Co. plans to lay off more than 110 workers at its plant in Davenport by Nov. 18.

The company also said Tuesday that it would lay off about 50 workers later this month from its Harvester Works plant in East Moline, Illinois, just across the Mississippi River from Davenport.
    Deere public relations director Ken Golden says Deere has lowered its expectations for sales and net income because of decreased customer demand. He says the layoffs are a result of the market conditions.
    He says no other Deere plant is included in the layoffs.

The company makes equipment for construction, agriculture and landscaping.
    glc, Gizmo2, OxPath and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 827 Posts
    DRobinson likes this.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks

Not a good agricultural economy

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    Source: https://newschannel20.com/news/local...-sh1U3xnwqL6zU

DAVENPORT, Iowa (AP) -- Deere & Co. plans to lay off more than 110 workers at its plant in Davenport by Nov. 18.

The company also said Tuesday that it would lay off about 50 workers later this month from its Harvester Works plant in East Moline, Illinois, just across the Mississippi River from Davenport.
    Deere public relations director Ken Golden says Deere has lowered its expectations for sales and net income because of decreased customer demand. He says the layoffs are a result of the market conditions.
    He says no other Deere plant is included in the layoffs.

The company makes equipment for construction, agriculture and landscaping.
    Sign of the ag economy and suprisingly, the construction industry is in a bit of a doldrum. Construction isn't as bad as a few years ago but housing construction numbers aren't great either. Landscaping should be ok but not as good as if construction picked up.

Treefarmer
    rtgt likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:38 PM
    NW Oregun Gutterslut...the Wet Side.... Gaston
    Thanks
    I'll blame...election year for 200 alex!

Things..( construction ie; New houses) are going crazy in Oregon.

Way more going on than the communities can support. Huge New schools being built...bla bla bla.

Money is tight in the group I deal with.....The end " crash" is coming its just ..When?

I see this as a ploy to bring in more imported crap and hike prices......No there not going to take your ar-15.
    But they might as well.

I'm probly never buying any NEW vehicle ,tractor ,truck ever again.. ..I'm going old school. Sure I won't have heat and ac but I'm not getting sucked in to what I see coming and what a few folks are dealing with.

Seems like early 2000 machines will be the last of the "good" ones.

my .02.......everyone has there own thoughts.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    Dan

JD 955 ,70A loader, 60" mmm , Original I-match ,4' woods B hog , 5' Box blade , 12' orchard plane/driveway grader ,various other doo-dads & homebuilt implements. Goossen BFBlower, JakeRake..this thing is different.
    Kubota U-15
    Kubota RTV 900

47 8n......good times..V8 in my future possibly

Pharrell Williams - Freedom (Video) - YouTube ...George Michael - Freedom! ’90 (Official Video) - YouTube..

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 12:42 PM
    Thanks

Correction to my post

Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post

Way more going on than the communities can support. Huge New schools being built...bla bla bla.

Money is tight in the group I deal with.....The end " crash" is coming its just ..When?

I see this as a ploy to bring in more imported crap and hike prices......No there not going to take your ar-15.
    But they might as well.

I'm probly never buying any NEW vehicle ,tractor ,truck ever again.. ..I'm going old school. Sure I won't have heat and ac but I'm not getting sucked in to what I see coming and what a few folks are dealing with.

August new housing starts were up significantly- I hadn't looked at the August data. United States Housing Starts | 2019 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

For Deere, that should ripple through to landscaping and if it continues, construction but one month doesn't make a trend. Historically, the US needs about 700-800,000 new single family homes constructed each year to keep up with family formation, although the millennials have delayed that process by going to live with their parents. Home sizes were shrinking as well compared to a decade ago but I haven't looked at recent data on that.

I agree that the older machines have the virtue of being able to work on them without a computer. There are a heck of a lot of 50 year old tractors still running but not many 50 year old computers. Heat shouldn't ever be a problem but AC might be since they keep changing coolant.

Treefarmer
    rtgt, BigJim55 and SulleyBear like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

8. Top | #6
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,980 Times in 2,938 Posts
    I have to wonder what the real reason is.

Old Cajun had to wait 8 months for his tractor so now the wait is going to be what..............?
    I also wonder how much money Deere makes by laying off people and make customers wait? Pretty soon people ARE NOT going to wait but go elsewhere.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD,
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo2 View Post
    I have to wonder what the real reason is.

Old Cajun had to wait 8 months for his tractor so now the wait is going to be what..............?
    I also wonder how much money Deere makes by laying off people and make customers wait? Pretty soon people ARE NOT going to wait but go elsewhere.
    The plants they list make LARGE ag machines, I think thats the part of the business that has slowed. The sCUT and CUT side of the business seems to be booming.
    glc, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 2 others like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,544 Times in 1,265 Posts
    I didn't read the whole article (if there was more than just a few paragraphs), if that was it then I guess I did.
    Layoffs and call backs are somewhat common at times in factory jobs. We have two big ones close to me that do a lot of work based on government contracts, when the contracts are slow they layoff, when they get a full work load they call them back. Just a thought
    glc, Gizmo2, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Treefarmer View Post
    Sign of the ag economy and suprisingly, the construction industry is in a bit of a doldrum. Construction isn't as bad as a few years ago but housing construction numbers aren't great either. Landscaping should be ok but not as good as if construction picked up.

Treefarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by theduke View Post

But they might as well.

Construction slowing down? Not around here...

I have been working on the garage project and based on the way things are going, I am expecting to have to push things till next year. I can't get contractors to show up and I have a pile of money sitting here to do the project. We were at a standstill for a month, 4 entire weeks because I couldn't get the cement guy to show up and pour the floor. Then I needed a section of driveway removed by the general contractor so we could trench out to a building. We sat doing noting for 3 weeks until I threatened to do it myself. All of a sudden he shows up with a bobcat and does it. Now we are back to waiting on cement for the apron and driveway but we are getting so late in the season that I am about to tell him to stop and wait till next year.

It isn't like these guys are not busy or not buying new equipment. My General Contractor showed up a couple weeks ago in a new truck.

Sure this is just my project but they are building houses as fast as they can around here and that is where the contractors are working and the one off jobs are suffering because they have so much work.

My thoughts on this. Sure the plant builds stuff for Ag, construction and landscaping. I see one of those three suffering right now here in the US. That would be the Ag side. One of the big issues there is the soy bean market globally. That is a crop that is grown around here quite a bit but as a country the US uses very little of it. So unless the US gets on a Tofu craving, I don't see that changing. Maybe you are interested in that but I sure am not. The other two Deere product categories may be seeing a bit of a downturn in the export market but that happens. Look at the other side of the coin and currency values. When the dollar is strong, that makes products we make here that much more expensive for those overseas so that impacts sales as well. Deere is a global company.

While it sucks that there are layoffs, I wonder how many layoffs there really are. Many times they announce layoffs and it is a matter of the 50 people that were retiring over the next couple months that are impacted. No idea how many people work at this plant but I would say it is safe to assume there are more than 100 people there and this isn't like they are laying off 50% of the factory workers. If this is anything like that where the 50 positions are little more than their natural turn over then heck, we are doing layoffs all the time. We have people leave here, mostly retire, and we hold their position vacant for sometimes well over a year unless it is a key position. They do this for salary savings so they can shift the salary (and benefit) dollars they would have spent on a working person to fund special projects. Moving the money from one bucket to another. Was it a layoff? No but it has the same effect. Someone isn't working. We all have to pick up the slack. At any given time we have I would say 3 positions that are vacant on our org chart yet are not posted for hire. This isn't a lot but when you calculate that we only have 65 people in our department, the % now is getting up there.

I see this as little more than something to grab headlines, a political comment and news to stockholders on we are doing something to better your investment.
    rtgt, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:40 PM
    Thanks
    The one plant makes combines and since grain prices suck farmers aren’t buying. I’m not going down the rabbit hole of tariffs in this thread.

Sennister hit the nail on the head I think. 50 people could be people retiring. My employer has done that twice in the last four years. Gave people that were less than two years away from retirement age an incentive package to retire early. Then the eliminated the positions. Way to cut payroll and other expenses related to full time employees. They are in the process of doing it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gizmo2, DRobinson and PJR832 like this.
    1025R w\ block heater and one rear work light
    H120 FEL w 53" bucket, 54" QH blade, 60" MMM w\ autoconnect, mulch kit and independent lift kit
    JD 3 bag MCS with powerflow
    Land Pride RTA1250 tiller and CA1556 core aerator
    Imatch Quick Hitch
    JamisonBryce MCS Imatch adapter
    Heavy Hitch weight bracket & sub soiler combo
    CMP Attachments 60" HD front dethatcher
    Garber 72" 3pt mount drop spreader
    Countyline 3pt PHD with 9" diameter auger

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast