CONTEST - Best Tractor Related Technical Article - WIN $50.00
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: CONTEST - Best Tractor Related Technical Article - WIN $50.00

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 02:22 PM
    Thanks

CONTEST - Best Tractor Related Technical Article - WIN $50.00

This is a contest for all Members of Deere Talk including any new members. The winner will receive a 50.00 dollar check or paypal transfer.

To participate in the contest, you must post an informative article in the Forum or Blog about a technical aspect of using, purchasing, or working on a tractor. Examples could be a comparison of the tires offered, how to correctly ballast a tractor, how to use a front end loader, how to add xx, etc. All article must be informative and include pictures if applicable. NO Plagiarism! Do not copy from another site! These article must be your own.

On October 21, 2010, we will post a poll for the members to vote who had the most complete and informative article. The poll will stay active until October 31, 2010. The winner will be the person with the most votes. Votes must be from legitimate members. No fraud!

Once the votes are in, we will send the money out to the winner.

Once you write the article, please post a link in this thread to the article in the forum or the blog.

After the contest, Deere Talk will keep these articles displayed and may use them to create a FAQ webpage for this site.

Thank you for your participation!

Brian

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-06-2017 @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Last edited by Johndeere3720; 09-29-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430
    4 buckets, brush rake, ripper, concrete breaker

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    11-26-2014 @ 11:15 PM
    Munfordville, Ky 42765 and Canmer ,Ky 42722
    Thanks
    I am posting, however,as a Vendor of DeereTalk, I exempt myself from the winning of any prize.

HOW TO ADJUST A TURNING PLOW AND TRACTOR.

No matter what tractor you have, the initial tire setting for a 12 inch plow is 23 1/2 inches from the center of the draw bar of the tractor to the inside of the right rear tire. 14 inch plow is 25 inches and 16 inch is 27 inches. You can compensate a little if you are off on these measurements by sliding the plow A-Frame on the plow crossbar.
    Once you get to the field, lower the plow and make 1 pass, plowing about as deep as you need. Then the second pass, let your right rear tire drop down into the furrow, lower your plow and start the second furrow. Now, get off the tractor and adjust your right leveling crank assembly on your tractor 3 point until the plow is level with the field, left to right. Next adjust your top link until your plow is level with the field front to back. Now, plow this furrow to the end and on the 3rd furrow fine tune your plow again by repeating the last procedure. All plows should have cross hitch bars that have the right pin down and the left pin upward (standing behind the plow looking forward). This offset is approx 3-4 inches and is built into the plow. In extra hard plowing conditions, you can loosen you cross hitch bar clamps and rotate it maybe 10-15 degrees to the back and if the plowing is easy then you can rotate the cross hitch bar the opposite way 10-15 degrees. By doing this final adjustment, the plow will do its best job with less strain on the tractor.
    When a plow is set correctly, It will follow the centerline of the tractor perfectly without your riding the brakes and it completely turn over the soil.

Ken Sweet
    Sweet Farm Equipment LLC
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Road
    Canmer, Ky 42722
    Toll Free 1-866-528-3323 Mon-Fri-8-5 CST Sat 8-12

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    here, I'll post mine on here.

I have read on a lot of different posts on many occasions that The tires were a big deal. I have used all 3 on similar machines and even differing units and have learned quite a lot from many wise folks. The R1 tire is the agricultural tread which is the most aggressive providing excellent traction and are far superior in the field and muddy conditions. There are 2 different types of R1 tires though, rice paddy found on the Japanese tractors and regular Ag tread found on most farm tractors. rice paddy tires have deeper lug treads which help "paddle" the unit through very wet muddy conditions. Regular Ag is more of the field tire if choice. Not quite as deep as the Rice paddy tire, it still provides excellent traction but since farmers usually aren't in very wet muddy conditions, this provides a better ride on the fields and roads. R1 tires are also self cleaning so when operating in wet or muddy conditions, the distance between the tread is so large that the mud has a harder time sticking to the tire. R3 tires are generally known as "turf" tires and are most commonly found on the golf course or the typical riding mower. turf tires are grass friendly and wont tear the ground up, especially in wet conditions. They also have the most ground contact since they have the shallowest tread depth and provide a smooth ride on pavement and lawns. Also, with the most ground contact, this is a benefit for traction since the majority of the tread is on the ground. Since the tread pattern has no aggressive bars or sharp edges, they aren't the best if used in wet or muddy conditions. Also, since the spacing between the tread is very small, that allows dirt and mud to collect and when it dries or loosens up on pavement, you will have a big mess to clean up. The last is the R4 or "industrial" tire. commonly used by contractors, landscapers, and now home owners, this all purpose tire has traction and is still easy on the lawn. There are 2 versions of the R4 tires, the smaller R4 and larger R4. The smaller R4 tire has the tread similar to a skid steer loader where the angle goes to a straight bar in the middle of the tire. The Larger R4 tire has it where the angle curves into the strait bar without any corners which helps with the self cleaning since there are no corners for the mud to collect in. The larger R4 tires is only a few inches taller than the smaller R4. The R4 tire is known for its sidewall strength. This means that if you have a lot of loader work, these tires will not squat down like the R1 and R3s will. R4 tires provide great traction and being that they are wider than the R1 tire, they gain the advantage of extra contact with the ground. Also, with most of the sharp edges rounded off, the R4 tire is actually easy on the lawn but beware that if your yard is wet, you will get tire tracks left. In 2wd, the R4 will act similar to the R3 since that flat bar in the middle of the tread gives the tire something that wont damage the ground as it has something to "slide" on rather than the sharp edges on the R1. All 3 tires serve their purpose. I have seen some people run both R4s and R1s for sidewall strength in loader work and traction in the field. I have also seen some run R4s with R3s for for the sidewall strength and the lawn friendly tread.

- Jake

p.s. sorry, i could only find them in white rims.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R3-R1-R4%20tires.jpg  
    2004 John Deere 317
    66" bucket, forks, imatch adapter plate, Bobcat 72" Landplane, 60" 4 in 1 tooth bucket
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Guys, In the future, just post the link tot he article, blog or post in here, not the full post.

Thanks

Brian

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Brian

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    01-12-2011 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    This is cool. As an FYI, I am going to work on an article on how to pick the correct sized tractor for your needs. Since I am living it, I am going to share what I am doing and reading with others in one spot.
    John Wayne, Jonny Cash & John Deere

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    01-12-2011 @ 11:20 AM
    Thanks
    John Wayne, Jonny Cash & John Deere

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    There is a week and a half left to get into the contest. Please post a link of any article you want submitted here.

Brian

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Brian, it is the 19th, i was wondering when voting starts. :D
    2004 John Deere 317
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck, bagger
    2004 Bobcat 430

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast