Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree119Likes

Thread: Safe purchase from Craigslist

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks

Safe purchase from Craigslist

Has anyone purchased a large item, site unseen and use a trucking company to ship it? I am looking for a JD 46 Backhoe and found a couple on Craigslist. I just don't know how to make a secure purchase and have it show up at my house. If I can't make a secure purchase, I will talk to Mutton Power Equip. and buy new from them. The backhoes I found are just too far away to take a look at and haul home, probably at least 750 - 1000 miles away. Please, if anyone has made a purchase site unseen and had it delivered without any problems, let me know how to do it. I live in the Memphis area and would like to find one close enough, within a days drive, but it seems right now the backhoes at least 2 days drive away. The backhoe is going on my 2520 and am needing to buy one very soon.

Thanks Brothers.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    I have actually done it... and I'm still around to tell the tale!!

Mine was a fairly unique situation though and probably not quite what you're thinking about. In my case, I was looking for a high quality, PTO powered wood chipper - something like a Woods, Bearcat, Wallenstein, etc. I was using SearchTempest to scour CraigsList and got a few hits. The chipper I ended up buying was from an implement dealer in Wisconsin. He just happened to advertise it on Craigslist. I was able to confirm the phone number, his business location, etc. I ended up sending them a cashier's check for $2400 and I paid the trucking company directly and picked it up from their terminal about 30 minutes north of me. All in all, very smooth, although I will admit to being on edge for a couple of days after I sent the check until I got the shipping confirmation email. Of course, the seller had the risk as well that I might send a bogus cashiers check, etc.

I'd be very skittish to do anything similar with a private party. Waaay too much risk. All I can say is - "Trust your gut!"
    Levi, BigJim55, Marlin and 4 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

raco232 (03-01-2017)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:48 AM
    Thanks
    That could be a pretty challenging thing to do. I just did something similar by buing my 2520 from TX (I'm in MN). Fortunately I have parents down there near the dealer and they went to put hands on it and check things out, so it isn't apples-to-apples with your case. But I do have some suggestions that may help you:

Have the seller take a ton of pictures. Ask for specific pics and info about any known wear or problem areas on the equipment. If possible, have them take a short video of the attachment actually operating. If the item has a maintenance schedule see if the seller has details on performed services. Lastly, consider using an escrow service for the payment. I don't know a ton about how they work, but I know TractorHouse (which I used to find my 2520) promotes the use. See PaySafe Escrow. There is a FAQ there that might help.

Be very clear during the purchase transaction about what you're expecting to be provided at delivery. If the item has accessories or components needed for hookup make sure to confirm whether or not the seller will be providing them.

Good luck!
    Rob
    rtgt, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlue For This Useful Post:

raco232 (03-01-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    where at in the country is this item at? is it in Pa.? if it isn't at the other end of the state i would be willing to go llok at it in person for u.

but if u really want a smooth transaction, i believe i would go thru a jd dealer. why not ur own dealer close by, just in case something is wrong with the one u get.

if something would happen to be wrong with it, god forbid, ur closer dealer should take care of u.
    Kennyd, glc, Tomfive and 5 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raco232 View Post
    Has anyone purchased a large item, site unseen and use a trucking company to ship it? I am looking for a JD 46 Backhoe and found a couple on Craigslist. I just don't know how to make a secure purchase and have it show up at my house. If I can't make a secure purchase, I will talk to Mutton Power Equip. and buy new from them. The backhoes I found are just too far away to take a look at and haul home, probably at least 750 - 1000 miles away. Please, if anyone has made a purchase site unseen and had it delivered without any problems, let me know how to do it. I live in the Memphis area and would like to find one close enough, within a days drive, but it seems right now the backhoes at least 2 days drive away. The backhoe is going on my 2520 and am needing to buy one very soon.

Thanks Brothers.
    I actually sold a 46BH via Craigslist and shipped it to Texas. This was a few years ago. The gentleman found my Craigslist ad, called and we discussed it. I sent him a few photos and he wired the funds over to me. He also arranged to have it picked up via uShip. I disconnected the subframe and banded the BH, frame and attaching parts to a HD pallet. UShip showed up a couple of weeks later. I loaded him up and off he went.
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 03-01-2017 at 03:20 PM.
    DRobinson, rtgt, Levi and 5 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-18-2019 @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBlue View Post
    That could be a pretty challenging thing to do. I just did something similar by buing my 2520 from TX (I'm in MN). Fortunately I have parents down there near the dealer and they went to put hands on it and check things out, so it isn't apples-to-apples with your case. But I do have some suggestions that may help you:

Have the seller take a ton of pictures. Ask for specific pics and info about any known wear or problem areas on the equipment. If possible, have them take a short video of the attachment actually operating. If the item has a maintenance schedule see if the seller has details on performed services. Lastly, consider using an escrow service for the payment. I don't know a ton about how they work, but I know TractorHouse (which I used to find my 2520) promotes the use. See PaySafe Escrow. There is a FAQ there that might help.

Be very clear during the purchase transaction about what you're expecting to be provided at delivery. If the item has accessories or components needed for hookup make sure to confirm whether or not the seller will be providing them.

Good luck!
    Rob
    You could also poll and see who, here at greentractortalk, lives near the prospective equipment. It is possible- I know that I'd do it for someone- that a member here would go see it in person, and give you a report on it, see that it ships properly, etc.
    Last edited by hodge; 03-01-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    Romans 1:16 "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ..."

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    04-12-2018 @ 07:28 AM
    Thanks
    As touched upon, will a deere dealer facilitate this for you? Maybe his local dealer will check it over for a fee and ship it from that location for a fee?

I also just created this map to see if other members are willing to share their general location to help each other in similar situations as the one you currently depict. Let me know your thoughts, sorry to hijack this particular post but I am hoping it will become helpful. https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=2431832
    Last edited by tinkertot; 03-01-2017 at 03:36 PM.
    Levi, BigJim55, hodge and 1 others like this.
    '03 2210 John Deere with 210 Loader, Curtis Cab w/heat, 47" snowblower, mower deck, JD ballast box, Artillian fork frame w/hitch - 36" forks - front hoe bucket. Map of Tractor Owners

12. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-16-2018 @ 08:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hodge View Post
    You could also poll and see who, here at greentractortalk, lives near the prospective equipment. It is possible- I know that I'd do it for someone- that a member here would go see it in person, and give you a report on it, see that it ships properly, etc.
    This is another reason why I have respect for and enjoy GTT. The network of excellent folks on here amazes me. I too would be willing to look at a piece of equipment for someone to help insure everything was legit if there was concerns for the equipment itself and/or the seller.
    Last edited by ky_shawn; 03-01-2017 at 03:55 PM.
    Kennyd, cheesetrain, Levi and 3 others like this.
    3520 (cab, eHydro, R1's, 300x fel, forks, grapple) Frontier 5' cutter, 7' Tufline disk, 6' Gill pulverizer, 6' box blade, 6' rear blade, TSC post auger, 6' Woods rfm, 8' JD rotary hoe, 8' Brillion cultipacker, 6' field cultivator, Tarter spreader, Fimco 3 point sprayer, subsoiler, ken's bolt on hooks & clevis, JD Z920 ZTR

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:49 PM
    Thanks

Very Big Thank You!

Thanks to all who are willing to help and go look at it. The location is at the very Northern part of Wisconsin. I am pretty sure that is the right location, as I am at work and don't have the info in front of me. I did check with my local JD dealer and they quoted me $8800 for the 46 backhoe and the Power Beyond. At that price, I decided to look elsewhere. I called Mutton Power Equipment and their price is $6499 for the backhoe, as I forgot to price the power beyond. But luckily, GTT has a thread that shows a material list and instructions on how to install one myself.

I am starting to lean towards buying a new one from Mutton Power Equipment, as my buddies at work are telling me not to make a site unseen purchase.
    Yea, I could save $1500 - $2000, but I could also be out $5000 and not even see the backhoe.

But again guys, Thanks for willing to help a fellow Deere Man.
    Levi, BigJim55 and mark02tj like this.
    2012 JD2520 R4's.
    200CX Loader, 49" bucket
    Imatch quick hitch
    King Kutter 60" tiller
    Howse 60" Box blade
    Howse 16" Single bottom plow
    Dirt Dog 5 Shank Chisel Plow (60")
    Homemade 3pt suitcase weight hitch
    Homemade 3pt 1 row disc hiller
    Homemade (6) shank toothbar
    (4) 2" Motorsports Wheel Spacers
    (7) 70lb suitcase weights
    Ken's bolt on hooks
    Titan 42" pallet forks

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by raco232 View Post
    But again guys, Thanks for willing to help a fellow Deere Man.
    The guys on this site are so nice they'd even help you out if you were a Kubota Man!

Levi, BigJim55, eyeboltman and 4 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast