Store I-match Quick Hitch on Heavy Hitch Cart?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Store I-match Quick Hitch on Heavy Hitch Cart?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 PM
    Thanks

Store I-match Quick Hitch on Heavy Hitch Cart?

Hello Greg,

I'm coming up on my 50 hour maintenance so I've been reading all the related threads. I've seen one comment suggesting it is easier to work on the transmission hose connection if you remove the 3 point hitch. Hmmm. It's heavy and awkward.

I was thinking about using the HeavyHitch cart to manage it. In other words, insert the cart's arm into the HH receiver of the weight rack, pin it in place, then lower the 3 point so that the cart's wheels are on the ground, but don't unlock the I-match latches. Now the cart is connected to the weight rack / trailer hitch and it's connected to the I match. Now all I have to do is disconnect the 3 point arms and top link and roll everything away. It will be a little more top heavy than with just the weight rack, but the I-match weight should still be essentially between the cart's wheels.

Are you aware of anyone trying this? Will the cart stand up to this weight? I have eight 42 lb suitcase weights on the weight rack. I'm guessing the I-match and arms are about a hundred lbs. And there's the weight of a heavy duty Heavy Hitch weight rack/ trailer hitch. I think this was about 80 lbs.

Thanks for your advice and great products.
    Southsidehacker likes this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    07-01-2019 @ 09:40 AM
    Thanks
    Should work just fine! Be sure to have the weights turned away from the tractor if you can to help offset the additional weight on the other side. The cart will handle up to 1200# so you'll be well under that. Be sure and post some pics!
    chex313, rtgt and keane like this.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Hitch For This Useful Post:

keane (01-06-2016)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    I don't have an I-match but I have the Harbor Freight Quick Hitch, the Heavy Hitch and HH Cart. All Cat 1. While I don't have any suitcase weights on mine yet (I will next week), I basically do this all the time. On my X585 I have to pull the 3pt arms when I use my collection system and normally take them off unless they are needed for the box grader. So what I do is clip on the cart, drop it down till the wheels are on the ground. Then I pull the pins where the 3 pt arms mount to the tractor and toss the pins in the tool box on the tractor. This way I have the Quick Hitch (same thing as your I-match) stored together with my HH as well as the arms are there because it is a PITA to remove them from the QH. The arms are not so heavy to make the cart tippy at all and I keep everything together so stuff doesn't walk off. It is all on the cart so it can be wheeled out of the way. This also makes it easier to hook everything back up when needed. Push it over to the tractor and pop the pins in.
    Last edited by sennister; 01-06-2016 at 07:25 AM.
    Heavy Hitch, chex313, rtgt and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sennister For This Useful Post:

Heavy Hitch (01-06-2016), keane (01-06-2016)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Afterthought

I should have thought of this earlier, but I'm going to put a cable tie on each I-match locking lever to prevent it from being inadvertently operated while the I-match is stored on the cart. I'll bet it would be a big noise and feet would be in danger if somebody operated those latches who didn't understand the consequences.
    coaltrain and sennister like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    I should have thought of this earlier, but I'm going to put a cable tie on each I-match locking lever to prevent it from being inadvertently operated while the I-match is stored on the cart. I'll bet it would be a big noise and feet would be in danger if somebody operated those latches who didn't understand the consequences.
    Yeah, never thought of putting a zip tie on the locking lever. That would be a good idea. I normally had my cart with all the 3pt stuff in the shop. I have two kids (7-10) and on top of that host my Son's Cub Scout Den quite often as we work on projects out in the shop. So it happens quite often where there are a bunch of 7 year olds working on pinewood derby cars or whatever out there and there are more little fingers around the shop than I have eyes. They haven't messed with it to date but I think if I do this again I will do the zip tie option to secure it better. Cheap insurance. Now that I won't be taking my 3pt hitch off as often, it will be less of an issue.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks

Stored my I-match with Heavy Hitch

So I stored my I-match using the HH cart and weight rack.

The attached photos show the steps for accomplishing this. It was pretty simple the first time and will only be easier when done again.

I found some releasable/reusable cable ties on Amazon that were perfect for this application.

I decided I wanted a redundant safety system for keeping the I-match attached. I dreamed of having another set of holes in the HH weight rack just below the bottom of the top hook when it is engaged. Putting a pin through these holes would prevent the top hook from disengaging. Since I don't know if this would adversely impact the structural integrity of the HH weight rack and because I don't have the tools to do this easily, I fabricated an inexpensive block to accomplish the same thing.

I know the newspaper bags detract from the appearance, but they'll save me a lot of grease on my clothes as I will no doubt bump into it repeatedly. They also prevent paint damage from metal touching metal.

I'm very pleased with my HH tools and always thought they were well worth the money. And now it's like I get a free bonus of an I-match storage/transport solution. What incredible value! Thanks, Greg.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HH1.jpg   HH2.jpg   HH3.jpg   HH4.jpg  
    Last edited by keane; 02-19-2016 at 12:07 AM.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

Heavy Hitch (02-19-2016), PJR832 (01-21-2018)

12. Top | #7

Last Online
    06-07-2019 @ 07:55 PM
    Thanks
    So I stored my I-match using the HH cart and weight rack.

The attached photos show the steps for accomplishing this. It was pretty simple the first time and will only be easier when done again.

I found some releasable/reusable cable ties on Amazon that were perfect for this application.

I decided I wanted a redundant safety system for keeping the I-match attached. I dreamed of having another set of holes in the HH weight rack just below the bottom of the top hook when it is engaged. Putting a pin through these holes would prevent the top hook from disengaging. Since I don't know if this would adversely impact the structural integrity of the HH weight rack and because I don't have the tools to do this easily, I fabricated an inexpensive block to accomplish the same thing.

I know the newspaper bags detract from the appearance, but they'll save me a lot of grease on my clothes as I will no doubt bump into it repeatedly. They also prevent paint damage from metal touching metal.

I'm very pleased with my HH tools and always thought they were well worth the money. And now it's like I get a free bonus of an I-match storage/transport solution. What incredible value! Thanks, Greg.

What are those awesome hooks attached to your i-match....? Where did you get them and how do they mount?
    Thanks for your input?
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Travis Pohlman
    Nebraska
    JD 1025R / FORD 8N

13. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-14-2019 @ 06:00 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thpohlman View Post
    What are those awesome hooks attached to your i-match....? Where did you get them and how do they mount?
    Thanks for your input?
    http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...tml#post296193
    Brian

2720 JD MCUT
    200CX Loader
    62D On Ramp Mid-Mount Mower
    61 Inch Bucket
    Grooved R4's
    Tiller King Kutter Professional Green 60-Inch TG-G-60-JP
    Rear Blade Woods 72-Inch
    Middle Buster King Kutter MB-YX

GT245 Garden Tractor

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks

Added Hole Pair for Safety Pin

I left in a hurry one day to plow this winter and I forgot to lift my ballast in back. So I was dragging my Heavy Hitch when starting an incline and it needs some new paint on the bottom.

I decided if I was going to take off all the weights and paint it, I would try to add the 2 holes for a safety pin when storing the I-match and tractor arms on the cart. (See post #6 in this thread for discussion.) My initial calculation indicated that I couldn't get the part on my drill press to drill the holes. The structure of the HH would hit the table edge on my press before I could get the bit over the hole location. In my second look, I realized that I could swing the table to the side and get the bit where I needed it. By drilling each side from that side, the drill bit doesn't have to go through the hole on the table. I also had to remove 2 of the levers on the press mechanism, but it just barely all got done.

With the safety pin installed, the I-match cannot be released from the top hook. This replaces the block in post #6.

A drilling template is included in the attached pdf file.

Keane
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HH2H#7.jpg   HH2H#1.jpg   HH2H#2.jpg   HH2H#3.jpg   HH2H#4.jpg  

HH2H#5.jpg   HH2H#6.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by keane; 04-20-2017 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added pictures after painting.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    01-14-2018 @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    Hello Greg,

I'm coming up on my 50 hour maintenance so I've been reading all the related threads. I've seen one comment suggesting it is easier to work on the transmission hose connection if you remove the 3 point hitch. Hmmm. It's heavy and awkward.

I was thinking about using the HeavyHitch cart to manage it. In other words, insert the cart's arm into the HH receiver of the weight rack, pin it in place, then lower the 3 point so that the cart's wheels are on the ground, but don't unlock the I-match latches. Now the cart is connected to the weight rack / trailer hitch and it's connected to the I match. Now all I have to do is disconnect the 3 point arms and top link and roll everything away. It will be a little more top heavy than with just the weight rack, but the I-match weight should still be essentially between the cart's wheels.

Are you aware of anyone trying this? Will the cart stand up to this weight? I have eight 42 lb suitcase weights on the weight rack. I'm guessing the I-match and arms are about a hundred lbs. And there's the weight of a heavy duty Heavy Hitch weight rack/ trailer hitch. I think this was about 80 lbs.

Thanks for your advice and great products.
    I apologize for switching subjects on someone else's thread. I noticed 'Pine Needle Rake' in your signature. I have lots of pine straw. Does it work good? Costs? Did a quick Google search but would rather hear from actual owner vs site trying to sale.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast