Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Basement door

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks

Basement door

I am working on my basement. I am getting ready to replace the existing sliding door with a pair of french doors. The slider is installed flush with the outside of the foundation. I will be framing a 2X4 wall inside. With a few inches of foam inside of an 8" concrete wall, I will have a roughly 14" thick wall between drywall and the outside of the house. So, last night, I had a thought. What if I mount the door in the interior framed wall and then trim out the opening passing through the foundation? From the inside, it will look more like an interior wall on the 1st floor. From the outside, I will have a recessed door that will reduce exposure to wind and rain. What am I missing here? What is wrong with this idea? Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170226_132656152[1].jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	321522

Name:	IMG_20170227_152401887[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	321514

Name:	IMG_20170227_152411345[1].jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	321530

Lee
    2305, 200CX loader w/53" bucket, 62C MMM, and 47 SB.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 1,084 Posts
    I'M LOST-u mean u would leave ur sliding door installed and then mount the new door inside it

i see no bad reason to having a larger thresh hold to walk thru, but i would want the bottom to slightly elevated some, or else caulk the living heck out of it, so water can't lay their. i am not a carpenter, so i am just adding my 2 cts
    Last edited by BigJim55; 02-27-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    Gizmo2 and Drifterbike like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJim55 View Post
    I'M LOST-u mean u would leave ur sliding door installed and then mount the new door inside it

i see no reason to having a larger thresh hold to walk thru, but i would want the bottom to slightly elevated some, or else caulk the living heck out of it, so water can't lay their. i am not a carpenter, so i am just adding my 2 cts
    I was wondering the same thing, if he was wanting to leave the sliding door or remove the slider and put the new door at the inside of the framework.

If that is what you are planning, I would use something besides not treated wood. If only treated wood I would still cover that with some type of metal.
    Drifterbike likes this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks
    I would worry about the drainage in the recessed area. There will need to be a proper slope and sealing in that area so that if rain or snow blow into it they have a way out of it.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks

Basement door

There is no reason you couldn't do it. Like has been posted above, you will need a deep threshold with the proper slope that may require some custom fabrication and raise the bottom of the door creating a toe stubber of an exit unless you also do a raised floor inside. Also make sure the ground in front of the doorway slopes away from the house. It might look a bit odd from the outside as all the windows are flush with the exterior. On the inside you probably already have the deep windows, so a deep doorway won't look out of place.
    Last edited by wickedcoyote; 02-27-2017 at 10:17 PM.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    Do you use it a lot. Do you go thru it going out or in? Is it under a porch or open. It would be easier leaving it the way it is but that's the beauty of "It's YOUR house" do what you want. I just remodeled our Master bath and pulled the tub for a huge shower with three shower heads. It was the last tub in the house. Friends told me I was crazy for taking it out I told them it's my house if the next owner wants a tub he can put one back in. Good luck.
    mjncad, etcallhome, Gizmo2 and 3 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 798 Posts

But since we (I) will be doing exactly the same thing shortly.....

I'll follow along.
    Taking the easy way is what makes rivers and men crooked.

3039R, H160 FEL, 375A Backhoe, Artillian Grapple & Forks
    Z915E
    XUV560

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    07-21-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    These doors are inexpensive but made to fit one way, mounting it opposite of intended purpose first and most importantly puts the hinges on the outside, (thieves will thank you) the adjustable part on the outside where it will collect water, and the astragal (weather strip between the doors top to bottom) inside as well weather water and whatever will penetrate the door. The Brick moulding needs to be on the outside or removed (fine) and a jamb extension kit can be purchased at whatever store you bought it from to take it from the 2x4 wall to 2x6 usually around $26. The kit comes with an aluminum threshold extension and some wood jamb material. What I would do in your situation would be to remove the brick moulding, snake a 100% silicone caulk on the floor or whatever the threshold will sit on, install correct way but flush to the interior so the doors swing open to the wall and flat, add wood jamb extension and wrap in aluminum or Fypon (plastic jamb kit, google it) then nail the brick moulding to the jamb ext. Trim with white caulk any seams, sit back grab a beer, take some time and just bask in your glory knowing it will last till the house comes down.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    If I read your post correctly you need to mount the french door in your new framed opening inside or you will not be able to swing the door leaves much past 90 degrees on opening. This is one of the draw backs of french doors over sliding doors. Other comments above about threshold issues should be carefully thought through. Any grade and prevailing exterior water issues can be ruinous later on if not well thought through ahead of time. It probably doesn't snow a lot where you are but melting snow ice has to be anticipated as well. Trim is not always just trim.
    etcallhome, BigJim55, tj1 and 1 others like this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:56 PM
    Thanks
    You can definitely setback the door, It's just going to involve alot more exterior finish work. Like a previous poster said, jam edge on the interior should be even with the Sheetrock so you can open doors all the way. Make sure you get the right foam!!!!! If you get the wrong foam, it will expand too much and push your jams toward the door.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements