Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: How to move a shed?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-27-2018 @ 10:23 AM
    Thanks

How to move a shed?

When I purchased my property it came with 2 sheds and one "house" from the late 1800's adjacent to the real house I live in now. The shed used to house my tractor is a plastic POS that is too small. However, one of the sheds is a newer Tuffshed in great shape, probably 12 by 20 if I had to guess on size. I'd like to move it to the spot my plastic POS shed currently sits about 80 feet away.

Anyone here know how you move a shed of this size without causing any damage?
    pcabe5 likes this.
    Tractor(s):

83 John Deere 318 (SOLD)
    17 Cub Cadet XT1- LT46

Implements:

John Deere 54 Hydraulic Front Blade (SOLD)
    John Deere 15 (0|Cat) Single Plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,601 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Google "How to move a shed" and there are dozens of posts that come up.

One method is to check with one of the local companies that sell them - perhaps the place it was purchased from. They usually have a small Segway-like tractor machine and some boogie wheels. It's possible they would be willing to wheel it over to the new location for a reasonable fee.
    Last edited by jgayman; 03-06-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    pcabe5, Levi, JD322 and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:43 PM
    Thanks
    Put in cross braces, lift one end, set on trailer, lift other end and push on trailer. Reverse to unload.

For your short distance you could possibly put it on skids and drag it
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, Levi and 2 others like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:35 PM
    Thanks
    When I moved into my country place, I inherited a 12x16 Tuff Shed, but it was nowhere near where I wanted it. So I turned it 180 degrees and moved it about 70ft south. If you can believe it, the door was facing completely away from any of the other buildings or house. Completely wrong. To move it, I used 2 inch steel pipe as rollers. I jacked it up and placed the "rollers" under it, then hooked up my tractor and my neighbors tractor to it so we could turn it and move to the new location. I also created skids under the shed so they could allow the shed to move on the rollers. I hooked each tractor to a skid so that we could better turn it.

The outside tractor did the turning before moving it straight to the new location. I don't know how old this Tuff Shed is, but the newer ones have a metal bottom that is pretty fragile and is not designed to be moved easily, hence the skids between the shed and the rollers. I used 2x12 planks for the skids and also had to use cross pieces to hold the skids apart by an appropriate distance.

This was a barn style shed with a loft in it, so it was pretty heavy. I guessed about 8000#. I contacted one of the tow truck places that used roll off beds. They wanted at least $400 to move it and could not guarantee that it would not be more.

Dave
    mjncad, pcabe5, Levi and 4 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    My wife wanted a chicken coop,,, I wanted to build it in my shed,,,
    .air tools, electricity,,, and shade!!

This coop is pretty close to the size of the shed you want to move.
    I have two pices of 3X6 inch rectangular steel tube I keep for this type thing.
    The tubes are 12 feet long, and fit over the forks.

Sorry for the small,, old pics,,,

mjncad, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 6 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    My wife wanted a chicken coop,,, I wanted to build it in my shed,,,
    .air tools, electricity,,, and shade!!

This coop is pretty close to the size of the shed you want to move.
    I have two pices of 3X6 inch rectangular steel tube I keep for this type thing.
    The tubes are 12 feet long, and fit over the forks.

Sorry for the small,, old pics,,,

12' x 20' ?
    etcallhome and pcabe5 like this.
    2009 2520 200cx loader 46 Back Hoe 403 Rotary Cutter Artillian forks + 54" Snowblower
    1995 455 w/60" deck

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Manomet View Post
    12' x 20' ?
    Exactly?
    The width is 12 feet.
    The length may only be 16 or 18 feet,,,

There is a lot of extra weight in the coop, a big portion of the floor is treated 2X4"'s screwed together about 1 inch apart.
    There is a big cabinet built in the front for food and water storage.

so,, it is close,, and I know the loader could still pick it up at a few more feet in size.
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    03-02-2019 @ 06:20 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    When I moved into my country place, I inherited a 12x16 Tuff Shed, but it was nowhere near where I wanted it. So I turned it 180 degrees and moved it about 70ft south. If you can believe it, the door was facing completely away from any of the other buildings or house. Completely wrong. To move it, I used 2 inch steel pipe as rollers. I jacked it up and placed the "rollers" under it, then hooked up my tractor and my neighbors tractor to it so we could turn it and move to the new location. I also created skids under the shed so they could allow the shed to move on the rollers. I hooked each tractor to a skid so that we could better turn it.

The outside tractor did the turning before moving it straight to the new location. I don't know how old this Tuff Shed is, but the newer ones have a metal bottom that is pretty fragile and is not designed to be moved easily, hence the skids between the shed and the rollers. I used 2x12 planks for the skids and also had to use cross pieces to hold the skids apart by an appropriate distance.

This was a barn style shed with a loft in it, so it was pretty heavy. I guessed about 8000#. I contacted one of the tow truck places that used roll off beds. They wanted at least $400 to move it and could not guarantee that it would not be more.

Dave
    Move it like the ancient Egyptians. My friend (from the no permit to build my shed fiasco) and I moved his shed this way. It was made out of old oak pallets and no floor. Jacked it up to get the pipes under it. Then put a strap around it and pulled it with his old 4X4 power wagon. Kept putting the pipes in front of shed in the direction of travel. I thought it was going to collapse but to my surprise it worked.

And no he didn't get a permit. lol
    etcallhome, pcabe5 and Levi like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:00 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IRQVET View Post
    When I purchased my property it came with 2 sheds and one "house" from the late 1800's adjacent to the real house I live in now. The shed used to house my tractor is a plastic POS that is too small. However, one of the sheds is a newer Tuffshed in great shape, probably 12 by 20 if I had to guess on size. I'd like to move it to the spot my plastic POS shed currently sits about 80 feet away.

Anyone here know how you move a shed of this size without causing any damage?
    IRQVT- Late last summer I submitted a post with some photos of a shed move on property near mine in southern Ohio. The mover jacked up one end of the shed, placed some bogie wheels under it, then used the jack to lift up the other end and wheel it about 3/4 of a mile to it's new location. I helped with my 4-wheeler when the Buffalo forklift lost traction in soft soil. I've searched my posts for this post and accompanying photos, to no avail.

Your situation sounds exactly like the one I helped with last summer; If I find the post, I'll provide detail to you.

Good luck,

Brian
    pcabe5 and Levi like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    pcabe5, Levi and mark02tj like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast