• 3 Post By Deere Ol Man
  • 3 Post By coaltrain

Thread: Project "Tree" has "not" begun.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks

Project "Tree" has "not" begun.

Well, the winds came through central Wisconsin and plum blew over one of my precious Red Pines. Never has this happened before. Oak? Indoor Firewood. Jackpine? Outdoor firewood. Aspen? I leave'r lay. White Pine? Sturdy as heck. But never had a Red Pine (Norway) been toppled.

So what do I do with her? I've got plenty of fire wood. Sell it? Totem pole? Lighthouse? Bald Eagle nesting post?

Looking for ideas and whatever I do, I'll take plenty of pics. Thanks.

2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-04-2018 @ 02:50 PM
    Thanks
    Big bon fire. Nice straight trees that would be good money for plywood but when it's just one I don't see any market for it

Brett
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    2017 5100E CAB H260
    ---FRONTIER BB4296
    ---MX15
    ---MX8
    ---EA 72" GRAPPLE

2017 KUBOTA ZD1211R
    2017 KUBOTA RTV-X1100C
    4K winch, 2”lift, 27s

GONE AND FORGOTTEN
    2013 AND 2014 5055E CAB H240

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

common uses

Lumber, plywood, poles and pilings are the common uses. Poles and pilings are usually treated much as Southern Yellow Pine would be. If you are a woodworker, that's a nice looking log. There's probably a portable sawmill somewhere around that would mill it for you. I hate to say it, but it's probably not worth hauling any distance to a sawmill for sale unless you are going that way anyway. If you have a way to haul 35-40' logs the best sale would be to a treated pole plant.

If you have a woodworking craft guild or group around some of them may want it.

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,081 Posts
    2032ranger --u said about a totem pole--would u carve it urself? that nice and straight tree would make a good one. other than milling it, and saving the boards out of it. i have no other offers.
    etcallhome, Levi and 2032Ranger like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:58 AM
    Thanks
    No totem pole making experience here. If I put it upright, I'd probably just add things to it like feeders or artifacts found around the property.
    Here in central Wi, the red pine is the cash crop for the paper companies (pulp). They are also used for telephone poles.
    The previous owner had some type of mill or had access to one because he left me more wood than I could handle. Lots of 6x6 and 8x8s. The biggest was 8x8x19ft and I used that as a main beam for a lean to type structure (my wife calls it a Pavilion.

What I think I'm going to do is make some type of trellis structure for the birds and animals to venture on. I noticed a very large jackpine listing badly so I'll probably use it as well and maybe a few more Red Pine.
    etcallhome, rtgt, Levi and 3 others like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2032Ranger View Post
    No totem pole making experience here. If I put it upright, I'd probably just add things to it like feeders or artifacts found around the property.
    Here in central Wi, the red pine is the cash crop for the paper companies (pulp). They are also used for telephone poles.
    The previous owner had some type of mill or had access to one because he left me more wood than I could handle. Lots of 6x6 and 8x8s. The biggest was 8x8x19ft and I used that as a main beam for a lean to type structure (my wife calls it a Pavilion.

What I think I'm going to do is make some type of trellis structure for the birds and animals to venture on. I noticed a very large jackpine listing badly so I'll probably use it as well and maybe a few more Red Pine.
    ha! u say this red pine is loved by the pulp mills, jeepers-i don't even know my different pines correctly, aw-yeah a spruce, frazer fir's, stuff for christmas trees.
    my dad cut pulpwood and logs too. but as a kid i had to stand behind him as he trimmed the limbs off them lousy pine trees.
    here we mostly had what my dad called field pine limbs grew on them from the ground up. lots of trimming for a 5 ft piece of pulpwood. i ran the measuring pole, as he got the limbs trimmed, i would lay the pole on the tree, he would then cut that piece of wood off. at the very top, when he was done, it was also my job then to upend the sticks or pieces of paperwood out towards the stump. i hated that measuring pole as a kid.
    now every once a while my dad would run into a bunch of what he called woods pines, or jack pine-i heard him call it that back then, it had no limbs almost to the top. easy cutting their.

the reason he cut pine a lot back then, was because it paid a lot more money back then, more than hardwood. aw-yeah back then a lot of the time, the paper mill gave out peeled pulpwood tickets for u to fill. my dad would load the wood on his truck, bring it home, unload it, peel the bark off of the pieces, let them dry(they was slippery as heck, with the bark off) then load them all back up, and cart them off to the mill. pine paid way a lot more back then. $33 a cord, my dad's truck's average load than was 3 and half cord. to a kid that is a loot of peeling bark off, by hand.. but my dad kinda liked doing that, it was done then, by all hand work, with a draw knife.
    etcallhome, rtgt, mark02tj and 2 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-05-2019 @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks

How about

Cut some of the hard wood and build a ship then use the pine log for the mainsail mast??

You asked for ideas!

Steve

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Interesting story Big Jim!

Around here it is all about hardwoods - any softwood is basically junk. There is a chip board plant about 30 miles away but you would need a full load to make it worth while. Then finding a log truck to haul it is another thing. They are all busy enough making money hauling hardwood to the mill.

There are a few folks stuck back in the hollows that have their own small mill. With one tree like that you could haul it to them, have them cut you some boards, and bring them home. That would be the only value of a single tree like that.

I have a junk pile out in the woods where I pile stuff like that and tree limbs etc. Makes a nice place for the small critters to hide.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements