Liquid De-Rusting Bath?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Liquid De-Rusting Bath?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-31-2011 @ 03:39 PM
    Thanks

Liquid De-Rusting Bath?

Are there any liquid "De-Rusters" out there? I've heard of electrolisys used to derust with good success, but what I'm thinking about right now is derusting all the nuts & bolts that currently hold my #8 plow together...Using electrolysis to do every nut & bolt wouldnt be cost or time effective. So I was wondering if there was some liquid I could put in a pail with all the fasteners to de rust them.

The game plan is to completely take the plow apart, have it sandblasted and then reassemble & restore... If I could, I wouldnt mind keeping the original nuts & bolts as they are square headed fasteners...I COULD buy new ones, but they are pricey....if I cant derust these original bolts, I'll probably not worry about it and just use all new "modern" fasteners.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Thanks
    Just googled it and found this: http://www.eastwood.com/ew-rust-dissolver-gallon.html
    Anybody have any experience with that or a similar chemical?

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    I used that stuff on my second rim on my plow. I WISH I would have used it on the first rim. The first rim I used a wire wheel and cleaned everything down to weld on it. The second rim was a spur of the moment as I decided to clean up the inside of the rim before it rusted away.

I did some of what the instructions tell you. I had to spray the rim and let it sit, but I also kept it wet and did not let it dry. I also used my brush that I clean my car tires with and used it to scrub off of help scrub off any loose rust. It worked! It worked so well that I thought about stripping my first rim down and repainting it. If I would not have had the bondo work around the air stem, I would have.

I would recommend it. I do not know how it would do om your plow frame, but it will work great on springs and bolts.

I cleaned up the grease and other dirt off my rim first with simple green. Make sure the parts are clean before you try it.

Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I do not know how it would do om your plow frame, but it will work great on springs and bolts.
    Awesome, thanks Brian...sounds like just the ticket. All the large parts will go to the sandblaster...I was just worried about the tiny stuff like nuts & bolts.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:41 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudland_Dave View Post
    Using electrolysis to do every nut & bolt wouldnt be cost or time effective.
    Dave,

I thought you could batch stuff with this process. I have read about it as well , just never tried it. But the stuff you are looking at should do the trick. You already have Brian's endorsment.

Another option that I have been pondering is vibrator bowls and abrasive. This will not only clean but polish as well. Yeah I know, cost is a consideration, just throwing out options.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Dave,

Here is a place that has all kinds of rust stuff. I think this is where I bought my Fluid Film from.

https://www.theruststore.com/

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Randy...
    Part of the problem is I gotta also decide if its WORTH keeping the bolts ...for the price of these chemicals I could have all brand new GR.8 Bolts/Nuts/Washers/Etc.. with guaranteed no problems...

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Randy...
    Part of the problem is I gotta also decide if its WORTH keeping the bolts ...for the price of these chemicals I could have all brand new GR.8 Bolts/Nuts/Washers/Etc.. with guaranteed no problems...
    I hear you on this one. I myself, tend to buy new fasteners rather than restore them. I find MSC and McMaster Carr have good selections of fasteners. One of the problems there is possible required quantities.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/...dyLink-_-Bolts

http://www.mcmaster.com/#screws/=b1jqd9

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Randy, I'm a Fastenal guy myself...I buy everything there....Abrasives, Fasteners, Tools, etc.. cant beat the pricing & service.

When it comes to fasteners, If its something "normal" like a 1/2-13 bolt or so, I'll just buy the package qty. If its something off the wall I can buy onesie/twosie's which is nice.
    Actually I could probably rebuild this plow without buying any new bolts as I'm pretty sure I got everything in stock.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Randy, I'm a Fastenal guy myself...I buy everything there....Abrasives, Fasteners, Tools, etc.. cant beat the pricing & service.

When it comes to fasteners, If its something "normal" like a 1/2-13 bolt or so, I'll just buy the package qty. If its something off the wall I can buy onesie/twosie's which is nice.
    Actually I could probably rebuild this plow without buying any new bolts as I'm pretty sure I got everything in stock.
    Oh yeah Fastenal. I do buy from them as well. Some how I tend to over look them occasionally.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast