Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree480Likes

Thread: Hot Tub Project Adventure

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks

Hot Tub Project Adventure

At the suggestion of a certain hot tub afficianado i have started this thread to document this project which to be honest I am not enthused about. This turned into a rant so skip it if you are not entertained by that! I am not a hot tub (or pool) fan, really don't want one and can't see the other folks in the house using it after the 2 month wow factor time period passes. So stay tuned, you may be able to buy a lightly used one next spring.

To be fair we did talk about one many years ago when I built the deck so I beefed up the support structure to handle the weight. And we looked at them while out on other errands last fall but i thought (hoped) the idea had died on the vine since it had not come up again all winter. Until about two weeks ago when the brochure showed up and I was asked for my opinion on one pump or two, so looking at electrical draw and footprint size i said one pump. A week ago she says she ordered the two pump model and it will be here in about 3-1/2 weeks.

Great, two pumps, bigger footprint....glad to have given my input. Now to replace the decking (which we had talked about doing this Spring) before it gets here, not a big deal given three weeks....except I find out it isn't to sit on the deck but on the ground next to the deck which is about 16" high. I am told it will be easier to get in and out of it this way. OK, so the deck in that area needs gone, base prepared and pad poured....and of course allowing three weeks for this doesn't work since any decent concrete guys that will do something this small are booked until August. But nobody thinks about that part of the magic of how stuff gets installed. I do know a couple 'recovering' individuals at the half way house that do concrete and are looking for work but i'd rather they not know where i live. So after being semi-inspired by Dieselshadows thread I am on my way.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170523_121649.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	111.2 KB 
ID:	373545

Decking gone, beams need to be gone but i need to put support posts for the beams where the new edge of the deck will be located. It will be fun digging those post holes right against that joist. Then remove enough soil to allow for stone and then pour the concrete pad. Going with the more is better advice, the pad will be 8'5" wide to span end of house to new edge of deck & run 12' out from the house to match the current deck width.

Electrically I need to remove that wall outlet since it will be within reach while in the tub which is a no-no. The coach light on the right side of the french doors is probably against code also so it may need to come down. Can't wait to break that to the decorating committee since i just replaced all the coach lights in Feb. I need to get the 50A gfci disconnect and #6 wire to run from the panel, then run conduit & the wire from the disconnect to the tub.

The downspout will need to be run around the corner of the house to the discharge pipe in the back. Probably some other things that I am not realizing just yet.
    Other than that its not a big deal....right!?!?!?! Rant over....I will be buying tums in the BIG bottle the next couple weeks....i need an attitude adjustment.

Name:	20170523_121621.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	373553
    Gizmo2, ralphtt, pcabe5 and 10 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titleist1 For This Useful Post:

Gizmo2 (05-25-2017), pcabe5 (05-28-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    I'll be following along just for the ride.

I've never been in one of these things but I have the feeling that one would be very therapeutic for me. I doubt there would be any loss of "wow" factor here. But seeing the work involved is good for me because I would never be able to do any of it.

And I know I've been told that it is no big deal, but going outside in the winter in shorts (and coming back in wet) will just never happen.

Project with an attitude - should prove interesting!
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 5 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    07-16-2019 @ 11:29 AM
    Thanks
    Not a big fan of them either. Waste of electricity and water. Not to mention the upkeep with chemicals.

We (she) bought one this winter after the pavers were installed. No big deal on the install. Just had to be sure to stub up the conduits of the power (50AMP with emergency disconnect). I have sat in it a few times but I can only last 10-15 mins. Even with a beer or glass of wine. It sits across from the power meter so I can see the power usage. At least it not the spinning type any more cause that would drive me crazy.

PS: 2 pumps
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.
    JD
    2016-1025R
    H120 Loader
    54"MMM W/Mulching Kit
    647 Tiller

Power Beyond Kit Dealer Installed
    Quick Hitch
    Ballast Box
    Titan 42" Forks
    Agri-Fab 175-Pound Tow Broadcast Spreader
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    More to add as needed.

Added:
    Ken's Bolt On Hooks
    Diff Pedal Extension
    Oblong Ring Sling

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,378 Times in 1,081 Posts
    Tiltist-i have laugh at ur post-ok. i used to go once a week yrs ago -when the therapy lady had one in her business. ohhhh-it helped a lot..............that's when i was running dozer and ripping rock every night. then it was worth its weight in gold.

the more pumps in it-the better the jets will work-at least that's what i have been told! it might be a lot of work-and as u said -the WOW factor will no doubt die off-but at least u will have it at ur beckon will to use anytime u want too.

carry on
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 3 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    Run the downspout underground right where it is now. Are you looking for new troubles? Feel better that you are buying something to go with your work. My neighbor got a pool for free and has almost $10K in it now. I need to ask him if he needs help getting the "free pool" ready for summer, gets him every time. I think he's given up on the hot tub idea now.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 6 others like this.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:07 PM
    Thanks
    One of my past jobs was installing Hot tubs for a deck builder. What i saw you would not believe. People with old houses with 100 amp service and the main box already overloaded. Tubs put the furthest lenght possible from the service panel. One person wanted the tub in the middle of his great room by the Air tight wood burner, on top of the carpet. after about three weeks i decided i had seem enough. When i quit he offered to double my pay and he was amazed when i walked out.

I have a 400 gallon Jacuzzi on my three season deck now. i like the middle of winter take the cover off and the windows fog up and i set in the tub watching football drinking diet coke. That is a good day.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 8 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 12:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    My neighbor got a pool for free and has almost $10K in it now.
    Reminds me of the "free goldfish" my kids won at the school carnival years ago. It was in the form of a coupon to get it at the local pet store. $40 later (for a bowl, food, gravel, bowel decorations, etc., etc., etc....) we walked out of there with our "free goldfish".

Sweetie had a hot tub years ago and liked it. We bought one a small (140 gallons, 120V/15A circuit) one a couple of years ago at the home show. I do like getting in it from time to time, especially if I've been working in the yard all day. It does make you feel a lot better. Our is on the deck, right off the master bedroom.

The maintenance is kind of pain, but not too bad. I still feel like I'm "chasing" the chemical balance. A little at a time is the way to go when making adjustments.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, Levi and 4 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post
    Reminds me of the "free goldfish" my kids won at the school carnival years ago. It was in the form of a coupon to get it at the local pet store. $40 later (for a bowl, food, gravel, bowel decorations, etc., etc., etc....) we walked out of there with our "free goldfish".

Sweetie had a hot tub years ago and liked it. We bought one a small (140 gallons, 120V/15A circuit) one a couple of years ago at the home show. I do like getting in it from time to time, especially if I've been working in the yard all day. It does make you feel a lot better. Our is on the deck, right off the master bedroom.

The maintenance is kind of pain, but not too bad. I still feel like I'm "chasing" the chemical balance. A little at a time is the way to go when making adjustments.
    That would be more my speed - or the speed of my old house. Don't know about anything electrical but I think I have only 100 amp service and the box is full - even has some 1/2 size breakers in it.
    Gizmo2, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:04 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,896 Times in 1,064 Posts
    I don't ever want to own a pool or hot tub. I feel your pain.

Same goes for livestock.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1˝" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Levi View Post
    I don't ever want to own a pool or hot tub. I feel your pain.

Same goes for livestock.
    Yep...my motto was never own a pool, boat or horse.

Got the beams out of the way last night and moved the hose bib to the new end of the deck. Wrestled the joist hangers off the ledger board. I decided to leave the ledger board in place and will cover it with aluminum. It would need to be cut at the new edge of the deck and that would be a pain to do with the siding being so close to it. Besides when the next change of plans comes along I would probably need a ledger board and now I will be prepared!!

Here is a pic of one of the rusted out hangers on the center beam...

Name:	20170523_175030.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	374754

And one in much better shape that was on the ledger board...I wouldn't have thought there would be this much difference between them.

Name:	20170523_175037.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	99.8 KB 
ID:	374762

Rain is softening things up today so I can remove some dirt Friday for the forms and gravel work on Saturday. Concrete next week sometime. Chiropractor immediately to follow!
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 7 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast