Shipping containers for CUT's
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shipping containers for CUT's

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    11-30-2013 @ 08:29 PM
    Thanks

Shipping containers for CUT's

Anyone used shipping containers for tractor (or other storage)? I'm toying with using one for my 2305. I happen to live 60K from the second deepest natural harbour in the world, Halifax, NS and we have two major containerports there.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    I have read about a lot of people using them for storage. In the little I read about them, I found out that there are different grades of containers and some are more desirable than others.

I think its a good idea, they seem to be cheap, nice storage.

Brian

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    i've got to call Halterm and Ceres (two container ports) to see what they have. Two private sale ones I saw on Kijiji (like Craigslist) wanted $3500 for 40 footers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I have read about a lot of people using them for storage. In the little I read about them, I found out that there are different grades of containers and some are more desirable than others.

I think its a good idea, they seem to be cheap, nice storage.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    03-27-2016 @ 11:57 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dellwas View Post
    Anyone used shipping containers for tractor (or other storage)? I'm toying with using one for my 2305. I happen to live 60K from the second deepest natural harbour in the world, Halifax, NS and we have two major containerports there.
    I'm using a 20" container for my 2320. Fits easily with the MMM and lots of room in front for other gear. The ROPS fits with a small amount of clearance as well.

Mine is sitting on two 4'x4' beams and I've built a small ramp for driving in.

They're great for storage.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Icebear. Got to get off my fannie and call the container ports to see who sells decommissioned ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    I'm using a 20" container for my 2320. Fits easily with the MMM and lots of room in front for other gear. The ROPS fits with a small amount of clearance as well.

Mine is sitting on two 4'x4' beams and I've built a small ramp for driving in.

They're great for storage.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dellwas View Post
    Thanks Icebear. Got to get off my fannie and call the container ports to see who sells decommissioned ones.
    Sounds like a good plan. If you haven't purchased one before make sure you look at lots of them. The quality varies greatly, rust, dents/dings, flooring material, lining materials, etc are all unique by container. One reason I went with a container was that I wasn't sure how long I'd keep it and therefore wanted some resale value. I got a container with shipping certification ( basically a quality based assessment to determine if it can be used for commercial shipping ) so that I could then sell it at a higher price later.

As it turns out I really like it and will probably line it with timber, put a deck around it and a roof over the top and turn it into a sleep out. Just something to think about. Have fun shopping.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice, mind if I ask what you paid? OnesI've seen on Kijiji (sort of like Craigslist) are around $3k...

Sounds like a good plan. If you haven't purchased one before make sure you look at lots of them. The quality varies greatly, rust, dents/dings, flooring material, lining materials, etc are all unique by container. One reason I went with a container was that I wasn't sure how long I'd keep it and therefore wanted some resale value. I got a container with shipping certification ( basically a quality based assessment to determine if it can be used for commercial shipping ) so that I could then sell it at a higher price later.

As it turns out I really like it and will probably line it with timber, put a deck around it and a roof over the top and turn it into a sleep out. Just something to think about. Have fun shopping.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Here in New Zealand a cheap one is 1,500 and a brand new one is 4,500k I think. I pad in the middle of that range. There might be large discrepancies price wise but one would think that these being a global commodity should be reasonably consistent. One advantage I might have in NZ is that once a container fails certification it isn't going to leave the country so that might bring the price down on the second hand market...

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks again, will have to see what I can find out and post it up...

Here in New Zealand a cheap one is 1,500 and a brand new one is 4,500k I think. I pad in the middle of that range. There might be large discrepancies price wise but one would think that these being a global commodity should be reasonably consistent. One advantage I might have in NZ is that once a container fails certification it isn't going to leave the country so that might bring the price down on the second hand market...

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    03-19-2013 @ 07:20 PM
    Sainte Genevieve, Missouri, United States
    Thanks
    George, When the cost of containers started going up, we bought two old box trailers and removed the running gear. We parked them inside the woodline and leveled them, put some green paint on to blend into the woods and, voila, 80 plus feet of storage for less than $2500. We keep some of our old iron in them. I would rather have containers, but the trailers work great, too.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

Master Service Technician, John Deere AG, North America
    Advanced Service Technician, John Deere C&CE, North America

We, the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much, for so long, with so little that we can now do anything with nothing.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast