Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: septic distribution box

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-16-2018 @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks

septic distribution box

im having trouble locating the d-box on the 42 year old septic system at my parents house i did find the plans for it and they seem dead on i measured and can see the dark green box shape in the grass but i dug down with the loader on the 1025 and only hit the gravel (should i dig deeper) the location is pretty flat so how far down would it be. i know coaltrain had something going on with his septic. so hope i dont offend anyone with starting a new thread though mine was a different issue with septic systems
    Gizmo2 and flyweight like this.
    2014 john Deere 1025r h120 ballast box 54d auto connect belly mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jd1023epro View Post
    im having trouble locating the d-box on the 42 year old septic system at my parents house i did find the plans for it and they seem dead on i measured and can see the dark green box shape in the grass but i dug down with the loader on the 1025 and only hit the gravel (should i dig deeper) the location is pretty flat so how far down would it be. i know coaltrain had something going on with his septic. so hope i dont offend anyone with starting a new thread though mine was a different issue with septic systems
    You sure as heck didn't offend me. And, I wouldn't think it would offend anyone else.

Find the depth of the tank outlet. The D-box will slightly be deeper than the outlet. It may not be an actual box. It may consist of one, or more "Y" pipes.
    Gizmo2, ColonyPark, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flyweight View Post
    You sure as heck didn't offend me. And, I wouldn't think it would offend anyone else.

Find the depth of the tank outlet. The D-box will slightly be deeper than the outlet. It may not be an actual box. It may consist of one, or more "Y" pipes.
    ok the drawing i got thats from the county health dept has a the septic tank and a smaller box. i hope this matches whats actually in the ground
    rtgt likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:42 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    From what I experienced recently - also digging with my loader - is that everything was quite a bit deeper than I thought it was. I was taking very small bites since I didn't want to damage anything with my bucket teeth.

I ended up doing what flyweight said above. I already had my tank exposed so I knew where the line exited it. I dug down next to the tank to find the pipe then followed it to where the junction was with the drain field. I didn't dig up the whole pipe - just spots along the way so I could follow where it was going.
    mjncad, ColonyPark, rtgt and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    From what I experienced recently - also digging with my loader - is that everything was quite a bit deeper than I thought it was. I was taking very small bites since I didn't want to damage anything with my bucket teeth.

I ended up doing what flyweight said above. I already had my tank exposed so I knew where the line exited it. I dug down next to the tank to find the pipe then followed it to where the junction was with the drain field. I didn't dig up the whole pipe - just spots along the way so I could follow where it was going.
    ok thanks ill have to try that it down pouring know so it will have to wait till later
    DRobinson, rtgt and flyweight like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:40 PM
    Thanks
    Look where the waste line leaves the house and see if there is a clean out plug you can get to. Sending a snake down it a bit will give you the direction it goes. If it's non metal, send a snake down(carefully) and use a metal detector to trace it(in case there are bends). Be carefull about digging and busting up the box. It can get real ugly real fast.
    DRobinson, Tomfive, rtgt and 1 others like this.
    2016-1025 FILB, 54" FEL, 54" Front Blower, 54" MMM, Brush Guards, Front and rear LED work lights
    BXpanded-backhoe thumb, bucket teeth, backhoe dolly
    Kens hooks w/ shackles (3 on Bucket), Diff Lock Pedal, backhoe steps
    Artillian Blinders
    Bush hog SBX 480 box blade, BX 600 box Blade
    Frontier LR2060L landscape Rake w/ gauge wheels, subsoiler
    Woods RBC 60 Rear Blade
    Land Pride QH-15 quick hitch
    Everything Attachments 60" Pine Needle Raked
    Garber Easy Seed 60" drop spreader

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 11:57 AM
    Thanks

If it rains

If you hit a rainy spell, get a thin strong steel rod and probe for it. You can save a lot of digging. If you hit gravel you are probably over the actual iines as there is no reason for gravel around the D box.

I wish I had buried a wire in the trench with the line from the septic to the D box. It would have made it a snap to find. I did make a sketch and put in a couple of clean out ports but my line is over 125' from the septic to the D box.

Treefarmer
    Last edited by Treefarmer; 08-05-2017 at 06:11 AM.
    Gizmo2, rtgt, flyweight and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Firemark View Post
    Look where the waste line leaves the house and see if there is a clean out plug you can get to. Sending a snake down it a bit will give you the direction it goes. If it's non metal, send a snake down(carefully) and use a metal detector to trace it(in case there are bends). Be carefull about digging and busting up the box. It can get real ugly real fast.
    Years ago my BIL spent hours searching for his Mom's septic tank in the front yard of the house that his sister (my wife) and I are now renovating in southern Ohio. After many efforts of driving rods or spading in the most logical path from the house he brought in a backhoe and was able to locate the tank within a few scoops. My wife was home then and facilitated installing a concrete riser and cap. They also planted ornamental grass (aka " the boogeyman bush")just above the tank that remains to this day.

Once you locate your tank and/or cleanout, by all means mark it for future efforts to re-access it...

Brian
    Last edited by PikeCoGreenTractorMan; 08-05-2017 at 08:10 AM.
    DRobinson, rtgt and flyweight like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

11. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:36 PM
    Thanks
    As stated, first find your septic tank. Then use a rod and a hammer as mentioned to find the D box, it should not be that deep, the system uses evaporation along with absorption, that's why they are designed at a certain depth! . You will get an idea where it is located by the exit pipe from the tank, but there could be a turn in the 4" pipe, (lightly use the rod and hammer routine and keep on track of the pipe, Those driveway fiberglass reflector rods work great for this with metal hammer point). If you dig to deep as stated you could break the D box (they are not that structural) and now try to get the pipes into that new "leveled" box,, Impossible without using fernco fittings. There Is also another method you can use; call a drain repair/unclogger company that uses a video probe, they can tell where the probe is on your property and you will find that box fast. Cost; average is between 2-300 hundred bucks, much cheaper than replacing that D box.. and they will find anything you need them to find.. Good luck. Remember a shovel is insurance to a backhoe if you think you are close...You may not even have to dig up anything after the video people are there! They have the technology at their disposal. no pun intended... Jeff
    Last edited by tj1; 08-05-2017 at 10:41 AM.
    keane and 89420 like this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    ok i found it i was a foot to far over im going to have to jet the lines to get them cleaned out then put roebic k570 Leach And Drain Field Opener and wait and see the tank and the d box are in good shape i think the problem is the system is 42 years old and nobody has done maintenance other than pumping the tank out
    ColonyPark, coaltrain and tj1 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast