Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: Whole house filters

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks

Whole house filters

We have hard water and are looking to remedy the situation and go to a whole house water filter / conditioner. We are on county water.

Who recommends what?
    Maddog and Robnik like this.
    1025r TLB w 60D MMM & Independent Lift
    SN 114287 Built April '13 received 8/21/13
    180 degree thermostat
    Omni Transformer w/ integrated weight bracket
    Single Point
    Ken's Bolt on hooks
    Artillian Forks (42")
    Full Compliment of Wheel Weights (340lbs)
    Custom Seat Springs

Kubota 326H 72" deck ZTR

Stihl MS361, FS250R

2. The Following User Says Thank You to psrumors For This Useful Post:

Titleist1 (08-11-2017)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Similar situation here, water is hard & on the acidic side, been holding off for no good reason since we moved here 25 years ago. Will be paying attention to the responses!
    psrumors likes this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:13 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by psrumors View Post
    We have hard water and are looking to remedy the situation and go to a whole house water filter / conditioner. We are on county water.

Who recommends what?
    I use a water softener that was installed by a local dealer that sells them. Been using it now for about 13 years. I had one in the last house I had. One thing I learned about it was to get one that regenerates based on the amount of water you use, NOT time based. Time based wastes water. Time based regens are based on amount of days to regen. It does not matter how much or little water you use. Where the usage based machines will regen after so many gallons used. You will need your water tested to see what type of conditioner you need. They are easy to maintain, fill the brine tank with salt and let it do it's thing. When the brine tank gets low, clean it out and do it over again. Oh one more thing, some states require you to put the flush tube, this is where your filter, when the systems back flushes your filter to clean, will expel your dirty filter water when it regens. They require you to put the tube down your drain someplace to go into your septic tank. My former one dumped it on the ground. Nothing ever grew there for a long ways. Salt just kills it off.
    ColonyPark and Robnik like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:03 PM
    Thanks
    Last few places I've lived I put in both a whole house water filter and a softner. I pickup both up from the HomeDepot, GE brand. I didn't, but getting the water tested is a good idea - you can buy "Send In" kits, or request one from your local government (DEQ). I think most of the new units are "Use based" regen, so they'll only regen if they need to. Anyone with an old time based softner should definitely look into switching to a use based unit to save tons on buying salt.

I've heard you don't want the flush going into septic because the high salt concentration kills the good bacteria.
    Robnik likes this.
    John Deere 1025R FILB, BB2048L, RC2048, Edge Tamers, King Kutter TG-48-XB, 60" Back Blade, Exmark Laser Z 60"

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:30 PM
    Thanks
    I have owned Kinetico systems in a couple houses in the past. I wish I had one in my current house. They make an extensive line of water treatment products. Their softeners operate flawlessly with no electricity required and are volume metered.
    I consider them a premium brand with a long lifespan, I also work for a company that supplies a variety of machined components to them.
    They will cost you a pretty penny.
    There corporate headquarters is in Newbury, Ohio. About 15 minutes from my house.
    Robnik likes this.
    1025R FILB, vintage: 2015
    54D MM mowing deck
    Imatch hitch
    2 inch receiver for three point
    "18" cart
    Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's hooks and differential lock pedal
    Artillian 36" forks
    Stihl equipment: Saws; MS261C, MS462C, MS661RCM and Blower; BR600 and Trimmer; FS70R and Hedge Cutter; HL 56K and Pressure Washer; RB400
    Husky log splitter

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 08:24 AM
    Thanks
    Moved in our house in 1982,,
    installed a water softener in 1983.

we have LOTS of limestone under our home,,,

About once a decade, I went to Sears, and picked up a new one.
    I never paid over $350,, they have been great.

The softeners are like a cheap push mower,, at ten years, it is cheaper to replace than fix.

We have one faucet outside, plumbed to deliver un-softened water,
    that water is used for watering the garden,,, etc.

With limestone hard water, you can not have acid water,,
    the limestone would neutralize the acid.

A water softener ONLY corrects the hardness,, nothing else.
    If you have sulfur,, or iron,,, etc,,, another unit beyond the softener will be needed.
    I have no filter experience,,, never had one,,,
    Robnik likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    It has been a few years since we lived on a well. The water was very good and plenty of it, but very hard. We had the same frustrations that everyone else has with hard water. My wife and I had been talking about a water softener system and had even obtained several quotes. Like everyone, we were concerned about killing the septic system.

One day I was looking through the monthly magazine published by the rural electric association. There was an ad for a magnetic water conditioner. It was basically a large magnet that you strapped around the incoming water pipe. My gut reaction was that this was about the hokiest product I had ever seen. How the heck was this going to get the minerals out of the water?

I called the number in the ad not because I wanted one, but because I wanted to give the guy a hard time for offering something so hokey. As I recall, the pair of magnets cost about $175 (25 years ago). Apparently he was quite prepared for people planning to give him a hard time. He simply said that you had to try it to believe in it. And he offered to send it to me with no money up front to try for 90 days. He didn't want our credit card number. He even paid the shipping, and I think he said he would pay the return shipping as well if we didn't like it. He said we could just send him a check when we were satisfied with how well it worked. Talk about the deal you can't refuse.

It was easy to install. Might have taken all of 5 minutes. My wife and I were both ready to send him the check after using the product for 3 weeks.

We very quickly noticed the clothes were brighter in the wash, there weren't water spots on the dishes, the water felt better and soap worked better in the shower. For a few weeks we had to periodically clean the screens in the faucets. They were clogging up with the minerals this thing was removing from the insides of our pipes. This was the only "maintenance" required for this type of water conditioner, and it was short-lived.

A good friend of mine, one of the finer engineers I ever worked with, also bought one. He also had excellent results. He commented that there are some things that we may never know exactly how they work, but its okay to use them because they do work. After installing this water conditioner, we felt that our hard water issue was completely settled.
    ljnelson109, keefus and Robnik like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    08-11-2019 @ 01:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I have owned Kinetico systems in a couple houses in the past. I wish I had one in my current house. They make an extensive line of water treatment products. Their softeners operate flawlessly with no electricity required and are volume metered.
    I consider them a premium brand with a long lifespan, I also work for a company that supplies a variety of machined components to them.
    They will cost you a pretty penny.
    There corporate headquarters is in Newbury, Ohio. About 15 minutes from my house.
    I put the kinetico system on our well as soon as we moved in two years ago. I don't know how the previous owners lived here for about 9 years without it. The water smelled so bad it was hard to take a shower without getting sickened from it. The system has the brine tank that uses very little salt and also an in line filter that I change twice a month but it runs flawlessly. It cost $4500.00 to put in but it really does a good job cleaning up our water. As stated, it requires no electricity to run and regens only when needed.
    keane, Jeff B and buckteeth445 like this.
    2015 1025R TLB
    Kens bolt on hooks and clevis (3) and differential lock pedal
    JD phd with 6" and 9" augers
    2048 box blade
    Titan 36" forks
    Country Way 40 gallon 3 pt. Sprayer
    Piranha tooth bar
    6 acres in Central Florida

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 02:12 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBlood View Post
    getting the water tested is a good idea - you can buy "Send In" kits, or request one from your local government (DEQ).
    That's critical. I lived on a well for 30 years and misused and misapplied any and all filters because I never officially tested the water until years later. Then I researched the filter methods and bought a filter system that actually worked for my issues (tannins). The filter itself is simple; tank, Fleck valve and then the proper media depending on your issue. The valve is where the expense is so watch out for stupid expensive systems. They mostly all work the same; back wash through media with a water softener to boot.

We now have rural water (again, first time not having well water in 30 years) but we still use a filter; media is carbon to get rid of some of the occasional smell we get from the treatment plant. And it doesn't hurt our septic. Our system came from Pelican. I liked their explanation of what media treated what.

But, first get your water tested. It's easy and cheap and will save you a lot of trial and error.
    keane and Jeff B like this.
    2016 5085E
    2014 318e
    2009 997
    1958 Fordson Dexta

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:52 PM
    West of Carlisle PA, At the base of the Mountains
    Thanks
    When we built or house almost two years ago we had he well water tested and it was a little hard and had some iron in it.

Our plumber suggested an Eductor which introduced oxygen to remove the iron and then a softener. The softener would have taken care of both but it would have to regenerate a lot more. I think I go through a bag of salt every month and a half the way it is now.

The system came from these people.

http://www.aquat.com/

I must say it works extremely well. No stains on the tub or toilets. And just keep the salt tank full.

Softener is on the left then the eductor.

Our old neighbor had a kenitico system that worked well and he liked. They are pretty expensive though.

As others have stated. Get a water test first. Then you know what you’re dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    keane, Robnik and nastorino like this.
    1998 955, 70A Loader, 54 Blade, 72 Deck
    1995 F525
    1957 Farmall Cub - Technically belongs to my son.

If it ain't broke, You're not trying. - Red Green

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast