I built my shop in '99 and have always had a service truck, so I did most of my small fab jobs on the tailgates. These service trucks all had welders, torch rigs, air compressor, heavy-duty vices, etc... I knew the time would come when I would no longer have these amenities. Over the past few years, I've been gathering the items to build a welding table. Two years a go, I picked up a section of 1" plate steel, 4' x 5'.
Another time, one of my vendors gave me a hydraulic cylinder barrel. I asked if they wouldn't mind cutting it to size, to make 4 legs for the table. Other times, I picked up scrap angle iron and flat bar.
I began building the welding table a while back, then placed it behind the barn because I had other priorities. Yesterday, I drug it to the front of my shop to complete it, as I've got some metal project in mind. I used my 330 to drag it and it was a pretty good job. If it would have had turf tire, I would not have even tried. Anyway, it made it with the help of me sitting on the hood to control the steering.
Two of the legs were welded in place some time ago.
Yesterday, while it was upside down, I welded the other two legs and tied it together with support braces. This morning, I flipped it rightside up using a high-lift jack and the 330.
Once I got it high enough, I placed a jack stand for safety. I then rigged a chain to the leg braces and hooked it to the 330. I have to say, it all went fairly smooth. As the table was coming to rest right-side up, I placed boards under the location of where the legs landed to cushion it's fall.
Sorry, I didn't take pics of the 330 pulling it over. I was too worried about controlling the load.
I don't know what this thing weighs, but it's real heavy.
I place an Easy-up awning over the table to keep the sun of my back. I'm trying to figure out if I'll leave the protruding section(back/right) in place, or not. It may be a good place to locate the vise. The vise was given to me. It's got a part missing to be fully operational, so I'll have to fix that.
I was in the process of installing a vise when it started to drizzle, so I came inside for lunch.
A very large thunderstorm came through, and when I looked outside from the patio window, I saw the easy-up had collapsed. Oh, well. It was old and needed to be replaced soon. I'll be shopping for another one later. The awning is about 12 years old and has done it's time.
I'll cut out and install gussets where the legs and angle iron braces meet. Plans are to add a 1/4" steel plate on the leg support angles to use as a shelf. A section of grating will also be added as a place to make torch cuts without cutting into the tabletop. It will be removable and stored on the lower shelf, to keep it out of the way when not in use.
After my nap, and if the rain quits, I'll be back working on it. At this point, other than my time, my only investment is the wire for my MIG.
I'll post more pics later.