Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Water line installation

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks

Water line installation

I need some advice about installing a water supply line on my property. Just got the meter installed at the street and measured to where I need the hydrants. It will be 150' and slightly uphill at about a 10' rise over the 150'. There is a 3/4 female fitting on the ball valve at the meter and I plan on putting in a freeze proof hydrant at the end next to my parking space for my camper.
    Just need some recommendations for pipe material, size, depth, and any other tips from those of you who have done something similar.
    By the way, the trench will not be straight as I will have to dig around some trees. Will be using the 9" trenching bucket on my backhoe.

Thanks for any advice!
    2001 John Deere 4300 MFWD with 420 FEL, Woods BH 70 backhoe, Bush Hog 60" rotary cutter, Everything Attachments wicked grapple, Artillian diverter kit and hoses, 6' box blade, Springtooth plow, carryall. Power beyond kit and one remote. Towing it with a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 22' tilt trailer.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Are you planning to use the water line later for a house or dwelling that will be subject to local code requirements? I know you asked about a single yard hydrant and a camper. Are all the usual options allowed in your town (copper, PVC, CPVC, and PEX)?

Remember that a hydrant back siphons. That's how its kept from freezing. You may need a back-siphon valve or vacuum breaker in your installation to minimize risk of water supply contamination.
    Last edited by RetiredDoc; 08-21-2017 at 10:03 PM.
    mjncad and bvbearcat like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

Imaybail (08-21-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:53 PM
    Thanks
    Depth would be below frost line, consider bedding the line in sand. Here in Wyoming we also "sandwich" the PEX line between two layers of 2 inch foam board. So we are at 6 feet in depth with sand on the base as bedding and foam board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mjncad likes this.
    2006 JD 3520
    300CX
    I-Match
    Frontier BB2272
    Frontier AF11E-6 Way Snow Blade
    Frontier SS1079 Poly Spreader
    ABI Classic 50 Manure Spreader
    Speeco Model 65 PHD
    Land Pride- Rotary Deck Mower
    Rimguard 610 lbs
    Ballast Box 510 lbs
    Artillan Forks
    Kens Bolt On Hooks.
    2012 JD Gator 825i
    Deluxe Cab with heat

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    09-16-2018 @ 05:37 AM
    Thanks

Frostline

Here in northwest Georgia 18" is the recommended depth to avoid freezing. But the meter is at ground level. Wonder how that works.
    Gizmo2 likes this.
    2001 John Deere 4300 MFWD with 420 FEL, Woods BH 70 backhoe, Bush Hog 60" rotary cutter, Everything Attachments wicked grapple, Artillian diverter kit and hoses, 6' box blade, Springtooth plow, carryall. Power beyond kit and one remote. Towing it with a Dodge Ram 3500 and a 22' tilt trailer.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks
    If it were me I'd use SCH 40 PVC as it's much easier to work with (especially by yourself) than black poly pipe or anything that's coiled with the exception of soft copper. Of course you could go SCH 80; but that just runs up the bill significantly. If you have a way to get it home I'd also consider getting 20' sticks instead of the 10' sticks sold at the big box stores to have fewer joints.

I also like to put a 4" - 6" bed of pea gravel (3/8") or squeegee (1/4") in the trench followed by another 4" - 6" of the same material as cover before putting the topsoil back in place. The gravel allows the pipe to squirm without breaking when the earth shifts a bit from natural processes.

If you go all plastic you might consider zip tying a copper wire to the pipe that can be used in the future to locate the line if you forget exactly where the trench was dug. Plastic natural gas line has a wire in it for that purpose.
    bhill, Levi, flyweight and 2 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:03 PM
    Thanks
    We replaced our house waterline not too long ago with 1" PEX at 18" deep. Like you say, it does come up to the water meter which is 6-8" under ground.
    Gizmo2, Levi and flyweight like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    I guess I have some questions and this install is going to be based on local regs. Check with you local water authority before you start.
    In our area, the water meter is inside the house or first structure it feeds.
    So, is your water meter at the street?
    Our local code requires water feed line to be no less than 3/4" K copper laid in stone dust (what we call cracker dust), buried to below the frost line which is 36" in our part of the country.
    Our area also requires a check valve installed in this line where it enters the building. Because of the check valve, there needs to be an expansion tank installed on your water system on the house side of the check valve.
    In our area you would also need a pressure regulator to reduce supply pressure since the supply pressure is normally about 80 to 100 psi.
    An subsequent feeds most be T'd off after the water meter.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    mjncad, Levi and bvbearcat like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #8
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    With a 4 ft depth requirement here and the ground bony as heck I like to sleeve the water line with a bigger pipe. Just need to be reasonably straight.
    mjncad and bhill like this.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:54 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaybail View Post
    I need some advice about installing a water supply line on my property. Just got the meter installed at the street and measured to where I need the hydrants. It will be 150' and slightly uphill at about a 10' rise over the 150'. There is a 3/4 female fitting on the ball valve at the meter and I plan on putting in a freeze proof hydrant at the end next to my parking space for my camper.
    Just need some recommendations for pipe material, size, depth, and any other tips from those of you who have done something similar.
    By the way, the trench will not be straight as I will have to dig around some trees. Will be using the 9" trenching bucket on my backhoe.

Thanks for any advice!
    We replaced a 2" line from the regulator at the old well to our home two summers ago. We used a roll of poly pipe, trenched to about four feet deep, and removed as many of the sharp rocks as we could to prevent wearing a hole through the new pipe. We had 3/4" NPT fittings at either end of the pipe to contend with.

I concur with a check valve , and you may want to consider a low point drain near your meter to gravity drain your line prior to winter freeze.

Brian
    mjncad likes this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    What part of Georgia? (will make a difference)

I'm in south Louisiana.
    Meter is 8" below ground surface.
    Supply line from meter to house is 1" copper, buried 8" - 10" deep.(common soil)
    Remaining water supply line on property is 1" SCH 40 PVC(with copper wiring zip-tied around it for future locating).
    Remaining water supply lines are buried 6" - 8" deep throughout property.(does not get below 32°f for any length of time here)

Note: 3/4" was suggested by a plumber, but I used 1". The larger diameter makes for good volume.
    mjncad, bhill and Neb like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast