Got the new 500 gallon LP tank in ...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree133Likes

Thread: Got the new 500 gallon LP tank in ...

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:34 PM
    Thanks

Got the new 500 gallon LP tank in ...

Last year we put in a 22kw whole house generator, plumbed to our existing self-owned 500 gallon propane tank. Since that time I have been ruminating over run times vs. fill level & eventually decided we really needed to expand our fuel reserve.

The issue was that we normally wait until about 50% full to call for a refill, i.e. 100+ gallons on a fill to avoid a potential additional fee. At the 1/2 full point, I was estimating about 4 days - maybe less if we are burning a lot of gas in the furnace ( instead of running the 5 ton heat pump). Our most likely outages occur during severe ice storms - which also make LP refills potentially harder to come by due to road conditions so that scenario was reducing my comfort level with the existing tank.

Southern States was happy to order us a new 500 gallon tank and handle the install to parallel the existing one (other suppliers were not interested - they wanted to supply a "free" tank). Cost for the tank itself was about $1590, delivery & install about $300 (may be less, haven't seen final bill). They quoted $1.699 /gallon for the initial fill, which is a decent price around here at the moment for a residential LP delivery, $0.10/gallon cheaper than our other local supplier.

It took a week or so for the tank to come in. I prepped pads & gravel for the new tank while waiting, when the installers came out they tweaked them a bit & set the tank, filled it, then left for another job. I cut a slot on the old tank cap (mirroring the one on the other side) to accommodate a line coming from the new tank.

After a couple of days, the mechanic came by & set up a "T" connection for both tanks to supply the existing regulator.

The 1/2" line runs under ground for a space between the tanks. This was to reduce the potential for damage from things like falling limbs or running deer.

With the new tank, I can figure on better than a week, even with the tanks down to the 50% mark (longer if applying conservation measures).

Nick
    Kennyd, Gizmo2, DRobinson and 12 others like this.
    2010 JD 3038e w/305 FEL 2013 JD 1025R FILB 2017 JD x394
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:27 PM
    Thanks
    Good move to buy the tank rather than leasing it and being stuck with a single supplier price. Save your receipt for the tank because most of the time when I call to get pricing and confirm delivery they ask for proof of ownership. I fax them the receipt and they are fine with that.

I am wondering how long before they all insist on inspecting the tank & lines with a pressure test. I had two companies say they wouldn't deliver unless they provided this service at a nominal fee....I said no thanks.
    pcabe5, Levi, OxPath and 3 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Just a followup on the install cost. They quoted "about $300", but actual cost on the invoice was ~ $116. I think that part of the lower cost was related to the prep work I did on the pads prior to delivery. To summarize in round numbers, $1590 for the tank + $116 for setup + $750 to fill tank (& top off the old tank with 41 gallons). Peace of mind - priceless ....

Nick
    Kennyd, etcallhome, pcabe5 and 6 others like this.
    RC2060 rotary cutter, BB2060 Box Blade, Strap-On Pallet Forks, Jinma 6" Chipper, Tarter 5' Tiller, TSC Middle-buster, Agri-Supply Keulavator,
    Caroni TC590 5' Finish Mower, TSC 6' Landscape Blade, TSC 6' Landscape Rake, TSC Post Hole Digger, Modified TSC Carry-All w/deck & casters

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    I’m a big fan of having lots of fuel storage. Since our house was already setup for fuel oil (diesel) when I get serious about a backup gen set it will be diesel. I have a 1000 gallon tank and my average use for heat is 550 gallons per year. Plus I have a 150 gallon skid tank.

I can’t get any kind of truck deliveries for most of 4 months in the winter. I can buy in bulk once a year.
    etcallhome, Marlin and Robnik like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 07:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    They quoted $1.699 /gallon for the initial fill, which is a decent price around here at the moment for a residential LP delivery, $0.10/gallon cheaper than our other local supplier.

Nick
    First, you have a great setup there! Ouch on the price of propane...I just called to have mine topped off for winter, and the price was $1.36/gallon. We rent our tank ($50/year) which includes repainting every couple of years. I asked them to bring the paint, as the tank is looking a little tired.

I've toyed with a whole house system. After losing power for a few days after the ice storm of 2012, I picked up a 4000 watt generator. Since that time, our power has never been out over an hour, and the generator has never been used, other than an annual "start up" to ensure it is running good. Now that we've moved to the country, that might change--however, our neighbors are telling me the local CO-OP has a good record for quick repairs.

Again, congratulations on a great looking system.
    Marlin and Robnik like this.
    JD 3025E | D160 loader | JD 413 Rotary Cutter | Behlen 7' grader blade | JD cultivator | Farm King PHD w/12" auger | Titan Ballast Box | 61" Pirhana bar | JD Sod Buster | Titan Pallet Fork w/receiver | Edge Tamers with Extensions | 5' King Kutter Rotary Tiller
    JD Z-Trac 335E with hitch and bumper kit | JD 8 cu ft cart
    JD D-100 Lawn Tractor w 42" deck | 10 cu ft HF cart
    1948 Ford 8N l 6' tooth harrow l Kawasaki Mule XC-SE
    Weather KMOLAWSO17 It's always sunny...unless it is not

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Do both tanks maintain equal pressures with an open connection between the two, or do you draw down one tank first and then switch over to the second one?
    Marlin and PJR832 like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,215 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 356 View Post
    First, you have a great setup there! Ouch on the price of propane...I just called to have mine topped off for winter, and the price was $1.36/gallon. We rent our tank ($50/year) which includes repainting every couple of years. I asked them to bring the paint, as the tank is looking a little tired.
    Wow... I'm in PA and just had my 60 gallon tank filled for a whopping $4.79/gallon. I think I need to look for a new supplier.
    pcabe5, Ray_PA and Marlin like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:01 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Wow... I'm in PA and just had my 60 gallon tank filled for a whopping $4.79/gallon. I think I need to look for a new supplier.
    Dang, that must be some powerful stuff. I've never paid more than $2.10/gal here and that was back when gas was really high. Last propane I bought was in the middle of the winter last year and it was $1.95/gal. Usually around $1.50 - $1.60 in summer but I haven't needed any yet this year. I rent my tank at $65 a year and they have never painted mine (but it could use it).
    pcabe5 and Marlin like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Do both tanks maintain equal pressures with an open connection between the two, or do you draw down one tank first and then switch over to the second one?
    They should both draw down at fairly similar rate, with their vapor space being linked by the 1/2" line. The propane guy thought the new tank may empty a little faster, probably because it is not shaded as much as the older tank.

The linkage is a good thing for the overall vaporization rate, with twice the surface area for a given % full point we can draw down further without fuel starvation issues (like down to 10% vs 20%) if we had to.

Nick
    Last edited by nikdfish; 10-07-2017 at 08:26 AM.
    pcabe5, Marlin and RetiredDoc like this.

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:01 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,945 Times in 2,908 Posts
    FWIW
    We have twin tanks and they work just fine.
    The gas company installed a remote monitor that transmits information about tank level via a cellular signal. We always get ~ the maximum amount of gas, thus a lower price (so they say).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1634.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	264.4 KB 
ID:	466282

Smart Monitoring Ensures Safety and Satisfaction
    Last edited by Gizmo2; 10-07-2017 at 09:02 AM.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast