Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Who uses a 3D printer?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks

Who uses a 3D printer?

Curious who here uses a 3D printer and what you use it for? Every time I see someone reference somewhere that they built this custom part or prototype I always think how cool that would be. But I started looking into the printers and now I really don't know that I would actually find a use for one. Maybe I just don't do enough creative stuff! So tell me what you use yours for and why it has been good for you.

Rob
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    Great question Rob, I think my biggest fear is the software as I can barley draw in 2D CAD, 3D CAD is way out of reach for me at this time.
    RonPol likes this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    03-09-2019 @ 11:16 AM
    Thanks
    I've done 3d printing in the past with FDM printers. mostly for small things like electronics enclosures, quad-copter landing gear etc. I designed and printed a picture hanger hook once because the wife wanted a picture hung and i didnt have any hooks. (didnt feel like going to lowes either).

I keep thinking about things i'd like to print and then sand cast to aluminum. The CAD time is not to be underestimated for useful & structural parts. Need to build a foundry furnace and learn to use it first too..

What do you have in mind?

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:24 AM
    Thanks
    I have a Formlabs Form 2 printer. The process (SLA) it uses comes the closest to injection molded quality parts.

The first four pictures are from my Goofy Bolts collection of bolts, letters, numbers, etc. These are in progress pictures, and all items have been finish sanded to remove all traces of the supports; but I haven't gotten around to taking pictures of them. All bolts shown are based on 10mm threads.

The next two pictures are of some doo-dads I made to keep my Racedeck chair mat from squirming on the carpet. The spikes are made from 16ga brads. These things are about 1" x 1" x 1/2" as I recall.

The next two pictures are for dispensing 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/8" rare earth magnets that are part of a clamping system I made for making display cases.

The next two pictures are of a GO/NO-GO system of gauges I made to figure out how much clearance I need between printed parts. As I recall I can a minimum of 0.1mm (~0.004") to 0.2mm (~0.008") clearance.

The last three pictures are for adapters to mount rare earth magnets to 90mm (~3.5") muffin fans to make magnetic stirrers for the washing station that is used to rinse uncured resin off the 3D printed parts. The gray part is a tool I printed to keep the magnets separated while installing them. Those rare earth magnets are scary strong and fast at jumping towards something they like. The muffin fans came from the dead wine refrigerator of my friends that Bambi destroyed in 'Bambi gets *****y.'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GW1STy_qTI8
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0001.JPG   DSC_0009.JPG   DSC_0009.JPG   DSC_0006.JPG   DSC_0001.JPG  

DSC_0001 (2).JPG   DSC_0001.JPG   DSC_0002 (2).JPG   DSC_0002.JPG   DSC_0003.JPG  

DSC_0002.JPG   DSC_0001 (3).JPG   DSC_0005 (2).JPG  
    Last edited by mjncad; 11-03-2017 at 02:34 AM.
    Kennyd, glc, DRobinson and 3 others like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 07:55 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks for the comments and pics. At this point I really don't know what I might use one for. I just like to learn new technology and stay on top of things so it seemed like an interesting area to delve into. I do dabble in fixing up old McCulloch chainsaws so I'm thinking there are some plastic parts that could be replicated for that. But mainly this may be a solution looking for a problem.

Rob
    mjncad, mark02tj and Treefarmer like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 03:03 AM
    Thanks
    3D printers are for prototyping.....although some now print in materials that could well be used, they are used to prototype parts that cost lots of money when you start machining them out of metal. I used to run one for a manufacturing company and even got to see the ones in use at Microsoft as we were looking to buy a new one at close to $450,000.00 and they had that model in use. Our sales guy arranged for us to go see it. They did cover up a bunch of stuff on shelves and asked us not to peek as there were new product designs not yet released to manufacturing or public availability.
    mjncad likes this.
    1025R with MMM and FEL and an LX186

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-29-2019 @ 06:42 PM
    Thanks
    I use my Lulzbot Mini for all sorts of things.
    Repaired tools that had missing parts (where the replacement parts can be polymers rather than metal
    Built enclosures for electronic projects
    Brackets to fit projects together.

If you look for my thread on "bucket level indicator" you will find pictures of the parts I have printed for that project. I will post some of them here.

I use FreeCAD software. Yes, it was a bit of a learning curve for the first week, but I am pretty good with it now.

At this red-hot moment, I am printing an auger that will be assembled into an automatic cat feeder.

Most of my electronic projects are Arduino based BTW.

I dont print anything I can buy generally. Everything is custom. It has completely revolutionized my prototyping. I never have to agonize over boxes, brackets, widgets, etc. I design them as I need them. It is not a production tool! That should be obvious.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails upload.jpg   20171102_085157.jpg  
    mjncad, Kennyd and ky_shawn like this.
    JD 3032E
    D160 Loader
    WR Long 3rd Function Valve
    Titan Ballast Box
    Titan Pallet forks
    Compact Tractor Attachments 50" Grapple
    Gator TX

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:31 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,284 Times in 1,413 Posts
    My grandson has one, an inexpensive model, I think around $200. He makes all kinds of neat little things on it. I was impressed with the small scissors jack that he made. I don't even understand the concept of 3-D movies.
    mjncad and ky_shawn like this.
    Don

2320, 54D MMM, 200CX FEL, 54 Front Blade with Artillian Extensions, Omni Transformer Hitch
    445, 54 mower and 54 front blade
    80 dump cart, 21 walk behind mower

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    I have access to many 3d printers at the university where I work, even one that prints titanium, and it is something I hope to do at some point. I am in the same boat as Kenny, though, I have to climb the steep learning curve to learn how too use the design software. I just have to find the spare time...

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:59 PM
    Thanks
    My youngest has one and knows how to use it (so I just have to place my order and and the part shows up.
    We have a wall mounted TV in the bedroom that has down firing speakers. So I told him I needed some "acoustic reflectors" and he printed them out of black ABS and I mounted them to the TV so the sound is redirected forward. I suppose some day I could get a sound bar for it but right now these work well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D tv print 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	483306
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D tv print close.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	127.6 KB 
ID:	483314
    TheOtherChris
    1890 Farm House and Barn Renovation