Like Tree101Likes

Thread: Soliciting Pellet Stove Brand Input

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks

Soliciting Pellet Stove Brand Input

Our Washington County has approved us for a wood heat upgrade to a less polluting stove. We had been talking of a change to a pellet since cutting, hauling, stacking, etc., has become more difficult over the last few years. Their program gives us a $3500 credit which you can't beat with a stick.

So . . . any one have a pellet stove brand they recommend and why?
    pcabe5, Levi, Titleist1 and 1 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,377 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Marlin-we have one in the basement--ehh-good and bad-i guess.

bad-if power goes off-it smokes back thru somehow-and has filled the basement up/

good--i call it a rich mans wood burner-as all u have to do-to keep it burning is fill the hopper-no chain saw upkeep-no cutting wood outside, etc.
    good-no need for a fancy chimney -all ours is a 4 inch pipe stuck out thru our cement basement wall

bad-it is a son of a gun-as far as keeping clean weekly--has a ash pan-we used a shop vac to hose it out.

would i buy one again--no way-ours with the gold legs was $3,000--it can go thru several tons of pellets easily a yr

i will have to check on the name of ours as i don't remember it.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Levi and 3 others like this.
    jim

2006 2520 mcut, 2004 x475, 1953 model 50, 1985 318-was my Dad's,
    king kutter tiller-60", frontier-stone rake, jd-4ft brush hog, frontier-6ft back-blade, frontier-forks, 48 inch forks,
    2-54inch jd snow plows, jd-5ft-pull brush hog,

2018 835R gas model gator-"aka" the Cadillac i say!! 6ft jd snow plow-which already has a dtac out on it. i got just about everything on it i could at the time

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim55 For This Useful Post:

Marlin (11-22-2017)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:15 AM
    Thanks
    From what i have read about pellet stoves you should try to buy from a dealer that has a good service tech. There are sensors and circuit boards that will probably need to be diagnosed and replaced at some point.

Hearth.com has a pellet stove board where there is a lot of good info on the different brands.
    Last edited by Titleist1; 11-22-2017 at 06:33 AM.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Levi and 3 others like this.
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Titleist1 For This Useful Post:

Marlin (11-22-2017)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    I have one made by Pleasant Hearth. They are sold by Lowe's, Home Depot, BJs... I've even seen them on Amazon. I do NOT recommend any of their pellet stoves. They require daily cleaning, they're noisy and they use cheap parts. I've had mine for 4 years now and replaced the blower twice and the burn pot melted and had to be replaced. I'd recommend staying away from any brand sold by hardware stores. Take a look at your local Craigslist ads. You'll see a lot of Breckwell, U.S. Stove Company, etc.. brands being sold. Most of them have the same recurring problems with bad circuit boards. Get yourself to a real stove shop and stick with a name brand.

Harman is probably THE name-brand people chase after. Jotul, Hearthstone and Vermont Castings are also big names in the field. You'll pay more for them but they are usually worth the added cost. There are some European stoves out there that are super efficient but come with matching crazy pricing.

And keep in mind that a pellet stove won't work if power goes out. A small backup generator can take care of that. Some of them even come with backup battery systems if it's a big concern.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Levi and 4 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Marlin (11-22-2017)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    Oh, as another option for you, since you are concerned about the cutting/hauling/stacking aspect of firewood... consider another wood stove and buy/burn bio-bricks instead of firewood. They cost about the same as pellets and get handled the same way pellets get handled (i.e. you buy them stacked on a pallet). They might be a good compromise. The Wood stove is simpler than a pellet stove and the wood bricks eliminate much of the manual labor you're currently doing.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Levi and 4 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Marlin (11-22-2017)

12. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:37 PM
    Thanks
    We installed a Harmon XXV last year. So far it's been great. No complaints.
    pcabe5, Tomfive, Levi and 2 others like this.
    JD 5052R
    JD 5100M
    JD 835M XUV
    JD 650G Dozer
    Kubota KX-057
    Kubota ZD1211

13. Top | #7

Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Check out the web page at: Working at Hearth & Home Technologies | Quadra-Fire
    It shows all the brands they own - Harmon, Quadrafire, vermont castings, etc. are all one company now.

Check your local Coastal - we've had good luck with them on an insert install (Quadrafire).
    tquarles
    1025R FILB with 60" MMM, 48" Kuhn tiller, 60" Howse box blade,
    Howse post hole digger, JD LX60 brush cutter, Bearcat chipper, 3-point broadcast spreader
    Artillian forks and receiver mount, Cyclone Rake.
    Gator TS

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,026 Times in 2,508 Posts
    We've had a QuadraFire for about 8 years that's been trouble free, but we don't use it to much-maybe just a 1/2 ton a year gets burned.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Kennyd For This Useful Post:

Marlin (11-23-2017)

16. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 08:28 PM
    Thanks
    I have a Harman P43. The p series comes in several different sizes from 43,000 to 68,000 BTU's. I consider this stove to be the best there is. I only have to clean it about every 3 to 5 weeks (about 3/4 of a ton burned). Harman recommends to scrape the burn pot once a day which takes about a minute and can be done without turning the stove off but when I was really busy I would let it go a week without even opening the door and just filling it with pellets. It can be operated in thermostat mode or manual constant burn mode. I have a standard set back thermostat hooked to it and it operates just like a furnace turning completely on and off as needed. It burns any kind of pellets I throw at it without complaining. It's 4 years old and so far it has worked perfectly starting and stopping when needed burning 3 tons a year which supplies half the heat in my 2250 sq. ft. home. I use it for only half the heat and use the Propane furnace for some air cleaning and humidity control. When the furnace ignitor went out the pellet stove heated the house completely in -20 degree F conditions for 2 days with a little help from an electric heater in the kitchen to boost the temp from 60 to 68. My exhaust runs up the fireplace chimney and it only needs to be cleaned once a year. Mine, chimney and all was about 3200 4 years ago.
    Ron
    John Deere X758 with a 60" HC MMM deck and a 47" Front mount Blower.
    John Deere 17p cart

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RonPol For This Useful Post:

Marlin (11-23-2017)

18. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 02:55 PM
    Thanks
    I looked at these a few years ago as an emergency heat source. The problem with the vast majority of them is they require electricity to use. I only found one model that did not, and it used pellets non-stop with no way to stop it once it started. I gave up.
    pcabe5, Levi, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

19. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast