Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: 60W LED bulbs,,, A Dollar!!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks

60W LED bulbs,,, A Dollar!!

I wanted to change a couple bulbs in one room as I was tired of the daylight CFL's that were installed there.

It seemed like I could not find ANY standard LED bulb for under $3-$4 per bulb.
    Then, early this week, I was watching some video, and it continued on to a guy evaluating LED's.

He mentioned his surprise to find the Sunbeam 9 watt (60W equivalent) bulbs from Dollar Tree to be well constructed.
    He completely dissected that bulb like the kids dissect a frog in 10th grade Biology class.

Well,, I couldn't resist,, I was off to Dollar Tree,, I had to go buy a dozen.
    When I got to the cash register, I thought the check out clerk was gonna treat me like a kook,,
    because I was purchasing so many bulbs.

When it was my turn, the clerk said "Hi", then she said,, "Aren't these a good buy!? Most people are buying 20 to 40!"

The bulbs come in a cardboard "flat" of 20 bulbs.
    Each bulb I installed surprised me more than the one before,, the bulbs have a nice color,, start instantly,, and give off LOTS of light.

Some of my CFL's were long over-due for replacement,,
    I can hardly believe how long we have put up with those "slow to start" horrible color corkscrews.

Dollar Tree only has one wattage,, and one color temperature,, so, you do not have to waste a lot of time deciding on which bulb.
    The bulbs are all installed,, they all worked, no infant mortality,,
    So, now,, we will see how long they last,,,

One of the reasons I have been hesitant to switch to LED's is their construction technique.
    The dozen or so LED's in the bulb are wired in series,, if one LED goes out, the bulb fails,,

The CFL's were billed as the "Last Bulb You Ever Need To Purchase,,,"
    Now, LED's are filling that slot,,
    I wonder how many of the 50,000 hour expected life will I get out of these bulbs?

Hmmmm,, a dozen bulbs, each 9 watts,,50,000 hours,, with what I pay for electricity,,
    the bulbs will use only $540 in electricity.

The savings will only be true if the bulbs last,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CADplans For This Useful Post:

Good&Green†(01-05-2018), Rope_Chucker†(01-05-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:18 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Hmmmm,, a dozen bulbs, each 9 watts,,50,000 hours,, with what I pay for electricity,,
    the bulbs will use only $540 in electricity.
    That's a pretty good deal. I've been using a lot of 100W LED bulbs and Costco recently had 10-packs of them for $24. Which, $2.40 a bulb is a great price for 100W Daylight LED.

You are right about the life... I really doubt the el-cheapo bulbs will last 50,000 hours. But!!... the appeal of LED bulbs for me is lots of nice white LIGHT and minimal heat! You can put a 100W LED bulb in a fixture that could only handle a 40W incandescent. You can put a 60W LED bulb in a night light fixture. :-) And... you get to save a few fractions of a KWH in the process. :-)
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:59 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    But!!... the appeal of LED bulbs for me is lots of nice white LIGHT and minimal heat! :-)
    My first real interest in new technology light bulbs occurred a little over a decade ago,,,
    We were replacing floors, sinks, counters etc,,, in our then 25 year old home.

I happened to find the heat from the incandescent bulb had just about completely destroyed the insulation in a light fixture.
    So, I started looking,, ALL the fixtures were the same way,, the insulation was charred, and falling off.

We ended up replacing EVERY light fixture in the bathrooms, halls, kitchen,, etc.
    If the fixture was screwed to the house,, we threw it out,,

As we replaced the fixtures, we also installed low temperature light bulbs.
    etcallhome, Old Cajun and Robnik like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    Once I started putting 5K LED bulbs in, I couldn't stop. The rooms I skipped early on looked terrible after getting used to the LED whiteness. It was like the room was lit with a stick of butter when I turned on an old style bulb.

I think the only regular bulbs I have are a few "rough service" ones I had for a trouble light, and I kept those in case I needed a bulb that put out heat. All my fixtures have LED bulbs and I switched all florescent tubes out to LED replacements, too.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:14 PM
    Thanks
    Yep been buying the COSCO 100W led's. Replaced all the bulbs in the barn stall, 8 of them, it looks like daylight in the middle of the night in the stall now. I have slowly replacing all the bulbs in the house with the new 100W LED bulbs. I have found three fixtures so far they will not fit on. All being flush ceiling lights. I even replaced our recessed flood lights with LEDS. ALL of my motion detection lights outside are LED, lights up the whole yard like day time.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    I know one thing, CFL bulbs are not worth buying. When they came out a number of years ago we were told they would last at least 5 years. I changed over my whole house to them back then, and I have since replaced a bunch of them. I don't think they last much longer than the old incandescent bulbs. And the dull start isn't appealing. I just bought my first 10 pack of LED's, we'll see how they go.
    JD 3032E...D160 Loader...I Match...Woods RD72 Finish Mower (JD green).

JD 1025R....60D mowing deck...I match...54" snow blower...ballast box...17P poly cart.

Husqvarna GTH220...50" mowing deck.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Iíve been buying mine even cheaper - $.97 at Walmart for daylight color temp which I prefer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...light/40507613
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Iíve been buying mine even cheaper - $.97 at Walmart for daylight color temp which I prefer.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Val...light/40507613
    I clicked on that link and it comes up as $1.97.
    Old Cajun, Robnik and Catfishin like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,022 Times in 2,189 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I clicked on that link and it comes up as $1.97.

Huh - I click on the same link and see this -

Click image for larger version.†

Name:	876FC93D-8FB9-4B38-99EA-3F45663C67C6.png†
Views:	6†
Size:	1,007.0 KB†
ID:	522778

This price is for in store only - maybe thatís why - I am logged in.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Huh - I click on the same link and see this -

Name:	876FC93D-8FB9-4B38-99EA-3F45663C67C6.png†
Views:	6†
Size:	1,007.0 KB†
ID:	522778

This price is for in store only - maybe thatís why - I am logged in.
    Hmm... I'm logged in as well. Looks like central PA is getting screwed. :-)

Name:	walmart_led.jpg†
Views:	7†
Size:	46.1 KB†
ID:	522786
    Old Cajun, Robnik and Catfishin like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast