Exterior Door? Fiberglass,,, or,,, Steel?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Exterior Door? Fiberglass,,, or,,, Steel?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks

Exterior Door? Fiberglass,,, or,,, Steel?

I need to replace two exterior doors,, both are on outbuildings. I need help deciding which to buy.

I lost both doors because I did not have gutters, splashing water rotted both doors.

Mostly, the need for doors is to keep leaves from blowing in,,
    Thermal performance is of no concern.

Better security would be nice.

What I have found so far is;
    Both types of door are priced similarly.
    Both are considered better than wood.

My wife likes the shaker style 6 pane door, so the style is pretty much set.

So, should I get steel, or fiberglass!!??
    pcabe5 and Robnik like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    I need to replace two exterior doors,, both are on outbuildings. I need help deciding which to buy.

I lost both doors because I did not have gutters, splashing water rotted both doors.

Steel is what I recommend and use. The door will last forever. Its the jambs that are the issue. We wrap everything with aluminum including the brickmold. Keep it sealed (where the aluminum wrap meets the jamb and threshold) and it will outlive you. Neglect it and you will be very disappointed.
    mjncad, pcabe5, CADplans and 4 others like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 10:33 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozsey View Post
    Steel is what I recommend and use. The door will last forever. Its the jambs that are the issue. We wrap everything with aluminum including the brickmold. Keep it sealed (where the aluminum wrap meets the jamb and threshold) and it will outlive you. Neglect it and you will be very disappointed.

When I was at Lowes, I asked about a pre-hung door with non-wood brick mold.
    The guy said he could special order it like that,, but,
    the up-charge was 5X the price of just buying PVC brick mold, and replacing it.

Yea, the reason the doors are gone is that there were no gutters,,
    I have gutters now,, but, I got to do a little better job of keeping the sticks out of the gutters!!

I do not want to start this project, until I have a couple good days to get paint on.
    But, this is a great time to pre-plan,,,
    Pre-plan is another term for finding out what the wife likes!!
    mjncad, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 4 others like this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    We lost a couple of steel doors at the church because of rusting at the bottom and the frame rotted, no porch and storm side of building. Several years ago I ordered the new door with pressure treated wood 2' up from the bottom. Plus the steel was suppose to have a better seal or coating on the paint. Cann't remember all the details sorry. Last year we replaced the front door with a fiberglass at the church it has a porch overhead .

Guessing 20 yrs ago now inlaws had outside of their house remodeled. We put a Fiberglass door on the front of their house , it has a screen door in front of it , noticed I will need to take the door off this summer and redo the gel stain. Have had no issues with any of them.

If you have a local company that sells windows and doors ask them if they should be able to order the better grade door made for areas like you and I mentioned. IMO for me the big box stores. sells person ,don't always know what is going on . So do but are in to big a hurry to take the time and to look up the info , they just have 2 or 3 doors companies they deal with , at least that has always been my feelings from the big box stores. Besides I would rather help the Mom and Pap stores keep their doors open , majority of the time their price is better than Lowes or HD . Just read about 5x times the price for special order brick mold. Ours at the church came with fiberglass brick mold, pressure treated lower half , special coating and better gauge metal for I'm thinking $30-50 more than standard door from Lowes

Lowe charges up the A$$ for any special order item , doesn't matter a door , bathroom or kitchen faucet. Years ago we found a set of Delta faucets for (thinking) $229 at HD but they were out of stock. Couple days later in Lowes same faucet special order over $350.00 . A few days later I stopped at a local plumbing and heating business , bought same faucets $175.00.
    Over the years I've checked on several items from Lowes , all special order, they were out of this world on price.

IMO Find a local owned business , they can be your best friend for saving you money.

Last edited by etcallhome; 01-12-2018 at 05:40 AM.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 11:36 AM
    Thanks
    If you do not have gutters, go with either steel or fiberglass doors that do not have exposed wood frames between the skins. If the doors have any exposed wood, the wood will rot, no matter what type of skin they have.
    pcabe5, CADplans and PJR832 like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisR View Post
    If the doors have any exposed wood, the wood will rot, no matter what type of skin they have.
    Yep, need to replace mine even with 48" overhang (no gutters). Dents show up on steel doors more than fiberglass, if that matters. Have steel on my shop & shed.
    pcabe5, CADplans, PJR832 and 1 others like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:47 PM
    Thanks

Door replacement

Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post

I would go with the commercial Steel W/steel frame, With security hinges that can't removed without door being in open position, Then as a matter of security I'd make sure it is a swing out door. As they don't kick in as easily and really difficult to pull open? When exiting from inside much better to swing open than trying to open if something is against it from inside as well.

Just a thought!

Waltmart

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    If the door will be exposed to direct sunlight in the summer months, go with steel. IME, Fiberglass doors get super-heated to the point where you can't even touch them in the hot summer sun.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 3 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    For the price, this is a real deal. Complete with lock set.
    pcabe5, CADplans, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

12. Top | #10
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,948 Times in 2,911 Posts
    I'd go steel.
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast