Green Tractor Talk banner

Any builder on here. I have a ? How to build in the middle of a pond?

4K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  J3 Driver 
#1 ·
So the Mrs and I are getting ready to start our pond this spring. I’ve been thinking it would be nice to have a pavilion or something out in the water.

Then after someone mentioned Barnwood Builders to me I got to thinking that a log one room cabin with a porch would be right up the alley.

It would look very nice and rustic I think. And would solve my problems of the extra Kong’s I have from tearing down a house.

So I’m thinking to let some land piled up in the middle of the pond to build this thing on.

My question is what kind of foundation. It’s going to be surrounded by water and that could cause issues I guess.

I’ve though about poured walls and drystone blocks stacked about three feet deep and then filled with stone.

I’m really lost here but looking for ideas and suggestions.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd build a regular cabin with foundation...first.
Then build your pond around it.

#3 ·
How about sonic tubes...round cardboard tubes to hold cement. Dig down with a post hole auger, add 4-6" concrete for a footing, drop tube in, backfill, add rebar and concrete. If you need more depth, you could build a form from wood.

#18 ·
i wanta come meet them also. so I guess i'll get to meet ya-DRobinson on that day, along with jdriver.:laugh:

ahh-i think it gets too cold here in Pa. for any alligators to swim around in the wintertime. :dunno:i guess if a fella wanted to truck them down south to OC or flyweights back yard for them to keep over wintertime for ya.

and when it come's time to lasso them criters for the return trip, i wantta be down there to watch :laugh: oh-yeah-i wantta be there for sure:lolol:

#5 ·
IMO no way, unless you put in 15-20' metal I beams in the ground on the 4 corners, well that is if the pond was maybe 5 or 6' deep Any deeper for pond longer I beams pounded in the ground. before pond is built. :dunno::dunno:

#7 ·
My question is how big is the cabin going to be? Footage? Then you are going to have to consider erosion and how much land to leave around your cabin, definitely would want to have caisons drilled down to support your cabin from moving. How are you going to access it? Lots of other questions

#10 ·
.............. would solve my problems of the extra Kong’s I have from tearing down..................

I've got a stupid question..... what's a kong????

All I can think of is dog toys and giant apes...

#13 ·
Well, water and erosion go together, but considering it’s a pond, you should have very little water movement. That’s good. Does the pond have fresh water inlet? Does it ever rise during rains? How about when you get a freakish heavy rain, does it rise? Like someone else said, you have to have a way to get to it. Build a road? Bridge? Starting to get expensive. Taking a row boat sure sounds romantic but would be a pain in the back side in reality. I think it’s a cool idea, but a lot of challenges before you even think about building the cabin.

#14 ·
Not to mention mosquitoes! :banghead:

#16 · (Edited)
I'm not trying to poke holes in your boat but, in fairness, the question you are asking cannot be answered with any degree of accuracy on a forum such as this or any form for that matter. Every build has its own issues, unique to it, and the resolution to these specific issues in one area might not be correct for another. Your initial question sounds like it has unique challenges that are beyond the scope of an internet forum. I try to be as helpful as possible but I also try to be as honest as possible.

You mentioned putting a structure in the center a pond or water structure. This is one of the issues you must overcome, which will require input from a soil engineer or at the very least someone innately familiar with your soil conditions. The performance of concrete depends on the type of soil materials underneath, soil density, and moisture content. The ground under concrete must have the proper engineering characteristics to support anticipated loads without experiencing bearing capacity failure or excessive settlement. A concrete foundation must support the loads associated with columns or bearing walls without shifting or settling more than can be tolerated by the building's frame. This is no area for guesswork. Even if you were to build the structure and "pond" around it, you still need to know what your soil structure is and what it will support. After that, you can tell your soil guy...."oh, by the way, I'm thinking of surrounding this with water."

#17 ·
Yes way to many unknowns. Is he digging all the soil out , or is he filling in the area to build the house. How deep, how big is the house or cabin, yard around the house or no yard. Questions can go on and on, rocky soil ,no rocks, is the soil clay ?,? on and on and on.

#23 ·
That's the best and most economical solution. :good2:

In Pennsylvania, there's a famous Frank Lloyd Wright home that he built over a moving stream. It's a tourist attraction that you can walk through. I've seen it, and the stream is significant. So a pond should be easier. That isn't to say it will be easy.
Falling Water is one of my favorite houses; though I've never seen it in person. As I recall the house used the existing rock formations on both sides of the creek for the foundation, which simplified things. The biggest problem Falling Water had before its restoration was the cantilevered decks were sagging. Like a lot of artsy-fartsy architects; some of Frank's ideas looked good on paper; but were a nightmare to build given the technology of the day.

To the O.P.; in all seriousness, if you and your wife are thinking to make this a reality...hire a good practical architect that uses good civil/structural, mechanical and electrical engineers. It may be just a cabin; but there are so many expensive pitfalls to what you're thinking about that Pappa's idea of a houseboat will make you a happy boat owner.

#22 ·
In Pennsylvania, there's a famous Frank Lloyd Wright home that he built over a moving stream. It's a tourist attraction that you can walk through. I've seen it, and the stream is significant. So a pond should be easier. That isn't to say it will be easy.

#25 ·
KISS...Keep it simple s....

While I don't know what your definition of a cabin may be....why not just buy/spec out a prefab shed and put it on the island. With a pre-fab shed you won't have to worry about a foundation, just prep the area where you place it to drain and you should be good. You can spec doors, color, size etc, and they just drop it off assembled. Heck I have seen some companies locally offering with 20x30 two story pre-fab units.

#26 ·
That would work. But I have all these logs from tearing down a house I’d like to use. Think I’m going tot keep it off the one bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: BigJim55
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.