Like Tree744Likes

Thread: Farmhouse Table Build

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts

Farmhouse Table Build

Now that the table legs have arrived, I get to begin my Farmhouse Table project that my wife(Mrs.FW) has been wanting. UPS delivered the legs this morning. I purchased them from a seller on ebay. They are the same height(29") as on the present table.
    Although they have slight defects, they'll work great for a distressed Farmhouse table build.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	537258

Name:	IMG_0309.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	537266

This is our present dining room table. It's a Ashley brand, ~18 years old and has served us well, but the center leaf of the table is stuck and can not be removed. Believe me, I tried. I think the dowels have expanded in place. I'm sure with a bit more effort, I could remove it, but not without damaging the table in some way. That being said, she(the boss) wants a table to go with the Farmhouse decor anyway. We sold the matching Ashley hutch last Fall, and will re-do the serving buffet to match the new decor.

Name:	IMG_0313.jpg 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	537274

This is similar to her vision of what the new table will look like. It will have a darker stained tabletop.

Name:	027.JPG 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	537282
    Of course, we'll retain our present chairs. She will recover the chair seats with a darker material and also repaint the chair's frame to match our breakfast table color(pic below), which is fairly close to Cream.

Name:	IMG_0312.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	537290

Plans are to purchase 2 X 8s for the table top, distress the wood and apply a dark stain with a matt clear coat finish. The table frame(band) and legs will be pained. I'll bring a chair from the breakfast table to the paint store to scan for a color-match.

After lunch today, I'll move my wood-working table, from my barn to my shop, to prepare for this project.

To be continued.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,127 Times in 960 Posts
    All right another project.....After the coffee bar, I'm all eyes

BTW I really like that proposed look of the farmhouse table. I really need to start showing Mrs. CP this stuff. I want to upgrade all of our stained pine and oak moldings to wider white moldings, but she is unsure of mixing the white with med. to dark stained trim (door and window casings). That table is a great example of how the light and dark can complement each other and makes things visually "pop".
    etcallhome, pcabe5, Bubber and 8 others like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    01-26-2019 @ 12:01 AM
    Thanks
    solid project. I started to refinish a table for my cabin a few months ago. gave up because the legs and skirts were painted with some abominable paint that was harder than hell to remove, but the top looked good!

Name:	SdEdIvn.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	537346
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KjGg3.png  
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 9 others like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:10 PM
    Thanks
    I'll be following along. I've got our table project on deck as soon as it warms up a little.
    etcallhome, Gizmo2, pcabe5 and 7 others like this.
    2014 2032r Classic...

-Dan

7. Top | #5
    Senior GTT Super Slacker Gizmo2's Avatar
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:11 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,947 Times in 2,910 Posts
    Keith

JD 2320, 200CX FEL/61" bucket , 46 BH/16" bucket, Artillian Forks, 72" Snow Blade, Landscape Rake, Ballast Box, PHD, The Wife
    BX42 Chipper, XUV 560 Gator, Z915B ZTrak

8. Top | #6
    Official "Groovie" Dude
    Last Online
    @
    Thanks
    Doggone flyweight that's gonna look nice.. I'll follow along as you go.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:49 PM
    Thanks
    flyweight,

I build stuff for museums and would suggest getting your 2x8's from a hardwood/softwood/millwork supplier. You'll get better and more consistently dry wood. They may have 6/4 planks that would plane to about 1-1/4" or 8/4 that can finish out a bit thicker than 1-1/2". They usually have the capability to plane and cut to size. Spruce, pine, and soft maple are good choices. Pine will be the least durable (and inconsistent to stain), spruce a bit tougher, and maple is somewhat harder, yet. The supplier will offer you suggestions.

Buying 2x8's from the local lumberyard/homecenter with iffy drying will cause lots of headaches with cupping and warping. It will be more expensive to go to a lumber supplier but well worth it.

A tip for stabilizing wood furniture-make sure to apply the same finish strategy to the top and bottom of the table (or front/back and inside/outside). Same coats of same finish will help with the differential moisture absorption that causes warping and cupping.

There are metal dowel and socket options for the leafs at any woodworker supply.
    Jay
    Jay

1981 JD400 that wants to be a 1023. H5 for separate 3PH and deck lift on fender. Home built loader and 3PH. Mini Skid Steer Quick Attach system on loader. 50 blower SSQA mounted front PTO driven.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandpajay For This Useful Post:

bvbearcat (01-31-2018), Stablenickers (08-12-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,582 Posts
    Flyweight,

Should look great.
    pcabe5, ColonyPark, Levi and 5 others like this.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:59 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,733 Times in 1,194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpajay View Post
    flyweight,

I build stuff for museums and would suggest getting your 2x8's from a hardwood/softwood/millwork supplier. You'll get better and more consistently dry wood. They may have 6/4 planks that would plane to about 1-1/4" or 8/4 that can finish out a bit thicker than 1-1/2". They usually have the capability to plane and cut to size. Spruce, pine, and soft maple are good choices. Pine will be the least durable (and inconsistent to stain), spruce a bit tougher, and maple is somewhat harder, yet. The supplier will offer you suggestions.

Buying 2x8's from the local lumberyard/homecenter with iffy drying will cause lots of headaches with cupping and warping. It will be more expensive to go to a lumber supplier but well worth it.

A tip for stabilizing wood furniture-make sure to apply the same finish strategy to the top and bottom of the table (or front/back and inside/outside). Same coats of same finish will help with the differential moisture absorption that causes warping and cupping.

There are metal dowel and socket options for the leafs at any woodworker supply.
    Jay

Jay, thanks for the information. I have on hand, aged rough-cut longleaf pine and cypress. The pine is over 80 years old and very hard. The cypress is ~50 years and much easier to work with. They would need to be planned. Also, they are only 1" in width. I'm wanting a more massive(2") finish for this table top. I going to shop the local lumber yards to see what's available in finished, dried rough-cut(2''x8"). If that doesn't plan out, I know a guy who has kiln-dried, rough-cut wood of different species.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 7 others like this.
    Michael

2019 JD Z540R 54" cutting deck w/MulchControl™
    1984 JD 750
    1971 JD 15 Chainsaw ← hasn't run since ~1975

Also have a bunch of other stuff.
    ---------------------------------------
    " If there's no one around to smell me, do I really stink"?
    - John Wells - Brewster County, West Texas.

13. Top | #10
    Hey, I want a title too! ZachinCO's Avatar
    Last Online
    08-31-2019 @ 06:01 PM
    Thanks
    FW, have you seen Jimmy Diresta's farm table build?

might give you a few more ideas/thoughts.
    Gizmo2, pcabe5, ColonyPark and 7 others like this.
    MINE!! 2016 New Holland T4.75

In-Laws 2006 4520-400 CX FEL-RC2072-Land Pride FS700-Rhino Box Blade-7' Plow Blade-CountyLine PHD
    In-Laws 2003 2210-210 FEL-54C MMM

My Sons IH Cub Cadet Originals- 62-Running;62-Restoration;61-Parts Donor

My social media~ https://www.instagram.com/zwhewitt_photos/

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast