Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: New Garage Suggestions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks

New Garage Suggestions

I am currently starting to build a new garage 40'x24'. Finance committee will not allow any bigger at this time. I will mainly use this as a workshop and storage for mowers, 4wheeler, tractor, etc. I do a lot of woodworking, starting to get into some metal with larger BBQ smokers. Wife will probably force me to build her a carport, since I am not planning on letting her park in the garage due to space issues, I have saw quite a few of you guys here have some really nice shops and really good setups. I am looking for any advice from you guys, things you have done to your shop that you like, what you wish you would have done different or better. Pictures will follow once we get started, still waiting for my permits to come back.
    mjncad, Levi, spferdil and 6 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArlisConner View Post
    I am currently starting to build a new garage 40'x24'. Finance committee will not allow any bigger at this time. I will mainly use this as a workshop and storage for mowers, 4wheeler, tractor, etc. I do a lot of woodworking, starting to get into some metal with larger BBQ smokers. Wife will probably force me to build her a carport, since I am not planning on letting her park in the garage due to space issues, I have saw quite a few of you guys here have some really nice shops and really good setups. I am looking for any advice from you guys, things you have done to your shop that you like, what you wish you would have done different or better. Pictures will follow once we get started, still waiting for my permits to come back.
    Don't skimp on the lights. Lights, lights and more lights.
    mjncad, MDrew, Levi and 10 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-22-2019 @ 03:31 PM
    The Willamette Valley, Laurelwood/Gaston, Oregon
    Thanks
    I started the building in the September of 2016 and it was erected the last of September into October of the same year. The building is 26' x 32' with 12' eaves and 18" overhang. A few 6' x 3' windows, a man door and a 12' x 10' overhead door. It is insulated under the metal and was framed for insulating the ceiling and walls. (I chose to not have a drop ceiling as first planned, liking the open/vaulted look inside.)

I documented the build and my finish work including insulation, OSB interior, wiring and lighting. It won't be all relevant to your build but you may pickup an idea or two. (Deeper, 26' isn't quite enough, and larger is what I'd do if I could do it over.)

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...-building.html

I hope this helps, let me know if you have questions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shop Deck-1.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	121.1 KB 
ID:	560529

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4837.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	560553
    mjncad, Tomfive, PaDave and 10 others like this.
    Marlin

JD 1026R - March/2013
    JD H120 NSL Loader, JD 647 Tiller, JD Ballast Box
    Frontier BB2048L Box Scraper
    IMatch, Piranha Tooth Bar
    Ken's Bolt-On Hooks & FEL Receiver Hitch
    John Deere Wheel & Suitcase Weights
    Wheel Spacers - 2" Front, 4" Rear
    Heavy Hitch Hitch’N Can
    LED Lights Front & Rear Facing
    Artillian Forks & Front Hoe
    R4 Tires Front & Rear

"Prayer can never be in excess." ~ C. H. Spurgeon

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:30 PM
    Thanks

Suggestion

I found out the hard way that width is most important dimension 24 feet not wide enough it is 3 lanes 8 feet wide making it very difficult to move things from back to front without also moving stuff in the middle make a floor plan on 0.25 graph paper then make on graph paper models of what you want in the pole barn and see how they move about in the planned space would recommend minimum of 26 feet with 28 being even better
    mjncad, MDrew, spferdil and 6 others like this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to GUS FINK For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

10. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-06-2019 @ 07:14 AM
    Thanks
    Tell your wife that it'll cost double the amount to build another 40 x 24 a couple years from now. Build it bigger.

Go with as tall of an overhead door as possible and then add 2'.

Agree with the above about lighting.

Do you want it insulated?

Run your plumbing, electrical, gas chases up front.

Get a bigger concrete pad out front than you thought you'd need.

Slope a portion of your floor and install a drain.

Add lean-to's all around if possible.

Did I mention to go bigger? Gun safes, barns, trailers, and tractors. Always go bigger!
    mjncad, MDrew, spferdil and 8 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GWT3046r For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

12. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 PM
    Thanks
    Besides lights lights and more lights, outlets outlets and more outlets. Plan ahead and put in a number of 220V outlets for things like woodworking tools and welders. I've had to add 2 more outlets since finishing off the inside of mine and it's a pain to surface mount conduit. Think where you will want things like an air compressor if you're going to pipe air around in the building and locate a dedicated outlet either 110V or 220V where you plan to put the compressor. I also like to have some ceiling mounted outlets over my work tables with a drop cord instead of having extension cords laying on the floor to get to the work areas.

OH and add more lights. I find especially as I get older extra bright light makes detail work a lot easier.
    mjncad, MDrew, spferdil and 5 others like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DeanB For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

14. Top | #7
    Big
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanB View Post
    Besides lights lights and more lights, outlets outlets and more outlets. Plan ahead and put in a number of 220V outlets for things like woodworking tools and welders. I've had to add 2 more outlets since finishing off the inside of mine and it's a pain to surface mount conduit. Think where you will want things like an air compressor if you're going to pipe air around in the building and locate a dedicated outlet either 110V or 220V where you plan to put the compressor. I also like to have some ceiling mounted outlets over my work tables with a drop cord instead of having extension cords laying on the floor to get to the work areas.

OH and add more lights. I find especially as I get older extra bright light makes detail work a lot easier.

I'll second the more outlets and air plumbing. I actually built a small enclosure attached to my shop for my air compressor. Keeps the noise outside. If you go with a metal building, definitely insulate it. Not only for the cold but noise when it rains. A friend of mine built one with out insulation and you had to yell at each other whenever it rained. Did I mention lights? Hahaha! I have a 40'x30' 12' wall steel, insulated building. Put 8qty 4' 4 bulb T5 High Output High Bay's. You literally don't want to look up. I don't even think my welder cast's a shadow. Like others have said when you think you have it big enough...go bigger. I wish I would have gone 50'x40'. But the shed roofs on the sides I built definitely helps with implement storage outside. Good luck and have fun with it!
    mjncad, MDrew, spferdil and 5 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, 220r Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Dual rear SCV's, Single Point Hydraulic Connection, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader, Leinbach 5' Disc.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Big For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

16. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    1. Lights, as stated earlier.
    2. An electrical outlet just above workbench height, every 4 feet all around the perimeter.
    3. Given an interior wall material choice, I like 1: thick [email protected] pine. More $ than drywall, but it's solid enough so you can hang things on it anywhere you want without worrying about finding studs.
    4. If you have a concrete floor, epoxy coat it right from the start. If you wait you'll spent time and money cleaning it first.
    5. Think about location of 220V outlets, if any of your planned power tools are 220V. Also a 50A 22V welder outlet.
    6. A big volume compressor is nice, but think hard about whether you'll need it. Plan of using a lot of air tools?
    7. Heating and cooling choices?
    8. And, good luck on sticking your wife's car in an open carport !
    mjncad, MDrew, keane and 4 others like this.
    1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredDoc For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

18. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 10:38 PM
    Thanks
    A couple of ideas:

1. Wire your outlets such that no outlet has an adjacent outlet on the same circuit. This way, if you want to run 2 big power consumers at the same time in close proximity to each other (such as a big saw and a vacuum cleaner to control the dust while you are sawing), you won't have to run the cord for one of them from the other side of your shop. You'll be able to use 2 outlets next to each other. When I built my garage, I asked my electrician to do this. He said nobody had ever asked for that, but he really liked the idea. I have benefited from it many, many times. Don't skimp on outlets. If you have a pad in front or to the side of your building, make sure there are outlets on the outside of the building that you can use when you work outside on the pad.

2. I installed a hand-operated winch over the door frame of one of my garage doors. It allows me to lift heavy stuff in and out of my truck bed. I can also do this with the tractor, but sometimes it's more convenient if the wrong implements are on the tractor. If I ever build another garage, I want some additional structure above so that it's easy to have some overhead lifting capability in the interior of the building.

3. It's usually cheaper to build a building with vertical columns for overhead support spaced throughout the building. Spend the extra money to avoid these. When you are trying to organize the stuff in your building, these columns will always be in the wrong place. They will reduce your usable storage space. And you'll regularly be banging things into them.

4. Make sure your garage doors are ROPS compatible. Consider the possibility that someday you'll want a bigger tractor.

Good luck. A new building will make your life easier.
    mjncad, MDrew, Marlin and 3 others like this.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

19. The Following User Says Thank You to keane For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

20. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with all of the suggestions for plenty of electrical outlets and lights, as well as build as big as you can. And for single garage doors go with at least 10 feet wide and as tall as possible.The 10 foot width makes it much easier for pickups and their external mirrors, don't have to be so careful. Also if you ever need to back a trailer in makes it much easier also.

When I built my garage many years ago I did something that not everyone would want but has worked out really well for me. And that was to put a garage door in the rear wall so I can drive all the way thru the garage. At the time I couldn't build as big as I wanted due to my property line, made the garage 30 feet deep but could only go 38 feet wide where I wanted 40. At this it put me so close to the edge of my property that there was not room to drive around the side to get into the back yard if I needed to, so putting in the back door allowed me to drive thru into the back yard.

Since then I've bought more adjoining property so it's not absolutely necessary now for that but I'm still glad I have the back door. It's handy for taking lawn and garden tools to either front or back yard, a good place to work on welding projects, and in summer opening both front and back doors creates a good draft that helps keep it cooler inside. I've liked it so well that when I built my metal shop building a few years ago I fixed it the same way. The downside is you give up some wall space but to me it's been worth it.
    mjncad, MDrew, keane and 3 others like this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to spferdil For This Useful Post:

ArlisConner (03-05-2018)

22. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast