Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Mother of all Crawl Spaces

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks

Mother of all Crawl Spaces

After moving to Florida, we quickly learned that it's a bad idea to store many things in a hot garage. My wife has a lot of Christmas decorations, so I took advantage of an unexpectedly large crawl space (height tapers from 8+ feet to less than 2 feet. The initial dig, terracing, shelves, and lighting for the tallest portion took me about a month. We then learned about Florida humidity. We hired someone to install a plastic barrier and dehumidifier because they could get a much more efficient unit than I could. (We never noticed any increase in utility bills.) So... here are photos of our 1,000 square foot humidity controlled "Christmas warehouse" that stays between 60 and 75 degrees F year round.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CrawlSpace2018.jpg
    mjncad, Kennyd, glc and 18 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 09:51 AM
    Thanks
    Huh, a home in Florida thatís not built on a slab... now Iíve seen everything
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 9 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    07-31-2018 @ 02:14 PM
    Thanks
    Very nice, that's closer to a basement than a crawl space. Great way to add some storage space.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 09:58 PM
    Thanks
    I've only been inside a couple dozen homes down in FL but never seen one built with a crawl space. I thought slab-on-grade was the "norm" for down there.

Is there something unique to your place that it has the crawl space?

It looks pretty mice though! I know when my folks were living down there they had a lot of stuff that got destroyed sitting in the over-heated garage.
    etcallhome and Big like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    Nice!! I agree that it is more like a basement not a crawlspace.....
    maybe a crawlment or a basespace or a crawlbase or a....?

That is all Christmas stuff????!!! I thought we were the only ones that had that much stuff. I had to put the brakes on any more stuff in the attic for fear I'd need more weight bearing walls beneath to hold the weight.

No worries of flooding in your area I hope!!
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    01-22-2019 @ 09:23 AM
    Thanks
    Man, that's a nice transformation! You gained a ton of storage space
    etcallhome likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:43 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I've only been inside a couple dozen homes down in FL but never seen one built with a crawl space. I thought slab-on-grade was the "norm" for down there.

It looks pretty mice though! I know when my folks were living down there they had a lot of stuff that got destroyed sitting in the over-heated garage.
    We're Northwest Florida -- aka "LA" (Lower Alabama) or Redneck Riviera, which actually has varied terrain and climate. The house extends off of a slope, with one end held up by the garage and a long, skinny walkout basement. The basement wall includes a standard steel door into the crawl space. We really lucked out because my wife's many artificial Christmas trees either won't fit or can't take the heat elsewhere.

Here's a photo of the long skinny basement, taken last year, as I began converting it into a workshop. The "crawl space" door is on the right. I'll try to do an update before long. I like this house... :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Workshop-MayPhoto.jpg
    Last edited by RodW; 03-13-2018 at 12:10 PM.
    mjncad, glc, etcallhome and 9 others like this.
    X350 (2016) and Accessories
    Assorted Stihl & Grizzly tools
    My wife says that's all I need for my measly 1/2 acre...

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    I was thinking that also looks like a nice place to work on a tractor out of the FL heat!!

Might need a wider door however! Good Luck selling that idea!
    332 GT w/ 50" deck, trac vac
    LT178 w/ 38" deck

I heat my home & workshop with two coal stokers and have a vintage JD smoker!!!

The EPA just loves me.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:02 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

I have two friends that Live In Florida that have Basements One is In Greater Miami They Blasted Into Coral and have a full 8ft Basement actually most of there 12 house subdivision has Basements all were Blasted In to coral The Other friend is Up In Tallahassee also as a Full finished Basement. Yeah when You think of Florida you don't think basement(you think optional Under house swimming pool) There are actually another area In Miami where Homes right on the Atlantic have Basements I would think twice about a basement living that close to the coast though. I bet the Insurance companies have a field Day with those Homes after a Hurricane
    mjncad and etcallhome like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Huh, a home in Florida thatís not built on a slab... now Iíve seen everything
    Same here.
    etcallhome likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast