I recently made a hasty decision to sell my vintage peavey (which I still occasionally use). It was well used and poorly taken care of before I acquired it along with some other peavey parts.
I decided to use this peavey hardware to build a replacement tool.
I am able to trace the history of this hardware to a timber company that had a sawmill within 3 miles of my home. The mill has not operated since 1917. The company owned the mill, the town, the timberlands (115,000 acres), the railroads, and the valley and still owns the timberlands today. They had a company store in the town that operated until 1940 when the town was sold to the Corp of Engineers for a flood control project. This, along with many other tools, were moved from the store to the company manager's rebuilt house (he was frugal), outside the flood plain, when the town was demolished. A friend of mine now owns the house and he gave me a number of these tools that were still in the basement when he bought it.
While it has some rust on it, there are no signs that it was ever used. Even what is left of the handle shows no signs of use or abuse, other than the handle being neatly cut off from the hardware (did someone need a handle quickly for another use and this was the only thing in the store inventory that filled the bill?).
The pike tip came out very easily by clamping it in a vise and spinning the tapered metal cuff with its grab hook. Then the remainder of the wooden handle popped out with some light blows of a hammer. I was surprised to see the way the pike point was made with a taper to help wedge the wooden handle into the metal cuff.
I found an old white oak 3 X 4 that was long enough that had been used as a stud in an old barn. I cut it to rough length of about 48", jointed two adjacent faced, planed the second face and ripped it into a square. All the while trying to remove as many defects a possible. I then laid-out center lines, taper lines and the location of the end of the tapered metal cuff on all the sides. Using a 20" band saw, I cut the tapers on all four sides.
Using a drawknife, I then cut-off the corners to create an octagon shape.
Using a outside curve spoke shave, the lengthy task of rounding all the corners off to create the rounded shape began.
To help keep the handle a true as possible (especially on the tapered metal cuff end), I needed to create reference surfaces with a hand plane.
I would have liked to have turned this on a lathe but my lathe only has a capacity of 36" and the handle needed is 48", and anyone who has used a peavey or cant hook on a large crooked log knows you need as long a handle as possible for good leverage.