Redo on HF Parts Washer

Thread: Redo on HF Parts Washer

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-04-2017 @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks

Redo on HF Parts Washer

Last fall I ordered a new HF parts washer for the shop. the one with wheels, it was on sale, so it was a pretty good deal.

As I was waiting for the PW to arrive I saw an "installing a filter on a HFPW project" on the Internet that looked simple enough and not to expensive so I ordered most of the parts from the articles parts list.

When I put the PW together I didn't like how high it was with the wheels on and I didn't like the gage of the PW's legs either.... so I had the local steel supply house bend me some 11 ga legs a few inches longer than I needed just for safety sake. The filter's mount is made from one of the cut off pieces of leg.

I bought the new brush from ENCO-USA.com, the hose and filter I bought from NAPA, the grommets from Ace Hardware, the remote filter mount I bought from Summit racing.com, the side shelf I bought from Tool topia.com

If anyone should want to do this project I suggest you buy the hose and take it to the Hardware so you can get a snug fitting grommet, and only while the hose is through gromment measure the gromment's grove diameter and drill your holes accordingly. I drilled smaller holes than the article suggested.

I have only used it once so far to clean my chainsaw bars and it worked out well. A store bought filtered parts washer is way out of my reach but this budget one just may do the trick for me, only time will tell

I hope this makes sense guys, I'm not very good at choosing or using the right words when writing anything long.

Heres the link to the filter project. http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/20...-washer-filter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HFPW 14.jpg   HFPW 13.jpg   HFPW 12.jpg   HFPW 11.jpg   HFPW10.jpg  

HFPW 9.jpg   HFPW 8.jpg   HFPW 7.jpg   HFPW 6.jpg   HFPW 5.jpg  

HFPW 4.jpg   HFPW 3.jpg   HFPW 2.jpg   HFPW 1.jpg  
    Last edited by tackit; 06-20-2011 at 02:07 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I tried uploading the photos by uploading #14 first but they are out of sequence. Is there I way to upload photos to keep everything in sequence . Thanks tackit

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    Once we get the VB issues from the new version straight, we might be able to move them around.

Brian

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Brian if you wish to delete the first pics you can, I will post a photobucket link to them.

I must be very computer stupid because I can't even get Photobucket to post the pics in the right order no matter which pic I upload first.

You'll have to look at the last pic first and go back to see the way I wanted the photos to be seen.

Here's the Photobucket link.... http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/...ng%20projects/

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:10 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 674 Posts

Perfect

Tackit,

This is perfect......., write up, photos, and project. I have a cheap washer and had not considered adding a filter. I like it. I may have to consider another project. Thank you.
    Randy __________________________________________________ ___ Be Safe!

2009 - 2305 w/62 MMM **** 2008 - 2520 w/72 MMM **** 200CX w/49 bucket
    Weight Box w/extension ***** LandPride RTR 1558 Tiller ******* 54 Snow blower
    60 Gallon Demco Sprayer *** 60 Broom ** BB2060 Box Blade**SS2036B Spreader
    Everything Attachments ETA-PluggerV2-60 Aerator

The more I learn, the less I know.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-05-2014 @ 03:22 PM
    Thanks
    I am hesitant to delete them since they are easy to follow.

Great job!

Brian

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
    Tackit,

This is perfect......., write up, photos, and project. I have a cheap washer and had not considered adding a filter. I like it. I may have to consider another project. Thank you.
    Your welcome Randy. What makes it a nice project is it's not really complicated or outlandishly expensive to do, no way can I justify the cost of a filtered commercial unit.

If you decide to put a shelf on your parts washer you may or may not have to remove the shelfs flange, it's simple to do, I used duct tape so I wouldn't scrath the paint and I layed a 1/16 piece of metal on top of the duct tape to follow and stay a 1/16 away from the cut line with my mini-grinder's zip wheel.

I didn't try to cut all the way through the flange, I only cut deep enough so I could wiggle the flange back an forth to break it off, then I used a file to bring the rough edge down to where the flange is gone..

Thanks Brian, I'm glad you guys like the pictures and find them helpfull.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0754.JPG   IMG_0753.JPG  
    Last edited by tackit; 06-22-2011 at 05:07 PM.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:43 AM
    Thanks
    It looks like you did a good job making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I gather you are only using the water based citrus cleaner; otherwise I'd wonder how well those PVC irrigation elbows would hold up to standard petrochemical cleaners.

How well does water based cleaner work?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    It looks like you did a good job making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I gather you are only using the water based citrus cleaner; otherwise I'd wonder how well those PVC irrigation elbows would hold up to standard petrochemical cleaners.

How well does water based cleaner work?
    mjncad I haven't used it but to clean up some chainsaw bars that weren't really dirty so hate to give an opinion at this time on how good the citrus cleaner works. The reason I used the citrus cleaner is to keep the paint from coming off the parts washer. I like what it done on the bars but I'm thinking I'm going to ad more citrus, it doesn't feel soapy enough to me, but I could be wrong. It doesn't say how much you are to use and when I called the people that made it they didn't have an answer. I thinking you keep adding enough to get the results you need and want. Im new to this stuff, I'll have to use it on a dirty part before I praise the product or give an endorsement.

I still keteching up around the place, it was a long winter and now summer storms are many and strong. tearing allot of limbs off trees and making the grass grow. I hope I can get some shop time in before too long.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements