Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Looking for home garage lift advice

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks

Looking for home garage lift advice

I am getting too old to be crawling on the ground anymore. Just too hard to get up. I am looking at a few vehicle lifts. One of them that strikes my interest is the GregSmithEquipment 2 pole vehicle lift. Model OH-10X 10,000 lb. lift. Has anyone had any experience with their lifts, or any garage lifts 2 pole? The heaviest thing I would be lifting would be my 2015 2500 HD Silverado which weighs in around 7,000 lbs. +/-. Any thoughts or inputs appreciated.
    mjncad, Doug and raco232 like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Just my way at looking at this - I also canít get under anything anymore -

$2500 can pay for an awful lot of oil changes and other work at the dealer or other shop.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, Doug and 1 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 04:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Just my way at looking at this - I also canít get under anything anymore -

$2500 can pay for an awful lot of oil changes and other work at the dealer or other shop.
    Depends on how much equipment/vehicles you are maintaining.

For me:
    2 vehicles, annual oil change (AMSOIL, so 15k/1 year change) $100
    Pickup, 2 oil changes/yr $400
    Rotate tires on said vehicles 2x/yr $200
    SO, in under 5 years it's paid for itself just with basic maintenance on the daily drivers, not to mention the other uses you would find for it if you had it, ie tractor, ATV...

When I build my shop, I WILL have a lift in it. Just no ceiling height for it now.
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-12-2019 @ 05:02 PM
    Thanks
    I do not disagree with either one of you. However, throw in a new rebuilt transmission or motor and now that cost just went way up. I have yet to find a garage in our area that does a decent oil change. Sure they change the oil and that is where it stops. I have had several times where my former truck would shift funny. Transmission fluid was never checked. Just happened to be low, same thing happened to my car. Power steering fluid low the list goes on. So having someone else do it is currently not in the equation. Not to mention I can use it on the tractor, two golf carts, my sons vehicles and the list can go on. At $2500 or so, is a cheap investment to be able to perform my own maintenance, for now. After that my son can do it for me if I am totally unable. By that time it has paid for itself and I will be dead and then do not really care at that point.
    mjncad, Gizmo2, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    2019 3046r, 385A BH, FEL, JD Ballist box, 6' 3pt hitch rake, 4 way 48" snow blade, 7' 3pt hitch drag blade
    Zero turn Z445, 5' 3pt hitch woods mower, 42" Artillian Pallet forks W/Adapter for snow plow, Standard 3pt hitch receiver to move trailers.
    I haul the tractor with a 2015 2500HD Chevrolet Silverado 4X4 6.6L Duramax W/Allison transmission a 2013 18' 7500lb dove tail trailer made by Appilachian trailers.
    Stihl MS271 Farm Boss Chain Saw 18" blade, Piranha Bar.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BillieS For This Useful Post:

Drifterbike†(05-23-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    That truck must be with the gas engine. They normally weigh more than that... Or at least I am used to the crew cab Duramax versions.

Anyhow the big issue you are going to have is if your slab can support weight of the lift. Not only to you have the weight of the vehicle, the weight of the lift but it needs to be strong enough to support offset weight and keep it stabilized so it doesn't tip over.

I have a 4 post which is a little easier with the slab requirements so that might be an option. The problem with them is you are more limited with what work you can do. The do make optional jacks for them to pull a wheel or something like that.

I want to get a 2 post for working on stuff but it will go in a new garage not my current shop.
    mjncad and Gizmo2 like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    I won't speak to the quality of the one you are looking at. I haven't used or seen one in person.

I like BendPak.

A couple things to think of.

Asymmetric vs symmetric. This has to do with how you have to load. A symmetric is normally a little cheaper, you need to balance the weight of the vehicle so the posts are as close to the CG as possible. The car is normally heavier where the engine is. Asymmetric you can load them pretty much however.

Rotated Posts. Bendpak has models where the square post is rotated about 45 degrees. This is nice because when you go to open the door to get out of the vehicle it gives you more room and you are not opening up the door on the corner of the square post.

This is the one I am looking at. Need the new garage first.

https://www.bendpak.com/car-lifts/tw...ifts/xpr-10as/

Here are the requirements for the floor

LIFT MODEL CONCRETE REQUIREMENTS
    XPR-10S/10AS SERIES 4Ē Min. Thickness / 3,000 PSI
    mjncad, tj1, raco232 and 1 others like this.

JD Z950R 60" Deck with DFS Collection System

JD X585, 54C deck,
    CTC Model X4750 F.E.L - Modified Imp Pressure Relief from 900 to 1175PSI, Power Flow and MC519 cart, 54-inch Quick-Hitch Front Blade, 47-inch Quick-Hitch Snow Blower, 3-pt hitch, HF Quick Hitch, Heavy Hitch, 48" box blade/rear blade, Dethacher, 3pt Sprayer

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,059 Times in 2,224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
    Depends on how much equipment/vehicles you are maintaining.

For me:
    2 vehicles, annual oil change (AMSOIL, so 15k/1 year change) $100
    Pickup, 2 oil changes/yr $400
    Rotate tires on said vehicles 2x/yr $200
    SO, in under 5 years it's paid for itself just with basic maintenance on the daily drivers, not to mention the other uses you would find for it if you had it, ie tractor, ATV...

When I build my shop, I WILL have a lift in it. Just no ceiling height for it now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BillieS View Post
    I do not disagree with either one of you. However, throw in a new rebuilt transmission or motor and now that cost just went way up. I have yet to find a garage in our area that does a decent oil change. Sure they change the oil and that is where it stops. I have had several times where my former truck would shift funny. Transmission fluid was never checked. Just happened to be low, same thing happened to my car. Power steering fluid low the list goes on. So having someone else do it is currently not in the equation. Not to mention I can use it on the tractor, two golf carts, my sons vehicles and the list can go on. At $2500 or so, is a cheap investment to be able to perform my own maintenance, for now. After that my son can do it for me if I am totally unable. By that time it has paid for itself and I will be dead and then do not really care at that point.
    I see your points.

I get my oil changed at the dealer for $43 which includes tire rotation, battery load test, and a bunch of other checks. Twice a year thatís $86 which was my point.

Any other work gets done at the dealer also as I canít do it myself so that was my point I guess.
    mark02tj, raco232 and 69project like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-13-2019 @ 06:24 PM
    Thanks
    Isn't it sad that when you get to the point in life when your wife will let you finally seriously consider buying a garage lift, your body is too weak to do most of those things you had always hoped to do with it when you got one.

1025R, H120 FEL, 60D MMM, Rhinohide canopy, iMatch, Frontier BB2060L, SS1067, RC2048, Heavy Hitch front weight carrier, subsoiler, trash bin carrier, rear hitch plate, Titan ballast box, 42 inch forks, Tarter chain harrow, Yard Tuff arena drag, DragnFly Arena Groomer, Newer Model 225 manure spreader, Ken's bucket hooks, Piranha tooth bar, Fimco 40 gallon 3pt boom sprayer,

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    a. The cost of labor of an oil change is almost nothing, so don't use that to financially justify the purchase. If it was me I would have other more compelling reasons than finance and they would only be rational to me!

b. A two post lift requires a reinforced concrete slab. Not for the compressive strength, but to resist the overturning moment. If you don't have a reinforced (and not just "reinforced" with mesh, real rebar) floor, you will need to excavate and put in pilings that can serve the same purpose, and that assumes the lift manufacturer has the engineering done for that kind of installation. A 4 post lift only needs concrete with sufficient compressive strength but they are nearly useless IMO for any kind of suspension work.

Al
    mjncad and Drifterbike like this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 11:18 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredDoc View Post
    Isn't it sad that when you get to the point in life when your wife will let you finally seriously consider buying a garage lift, your body is too weak to do most of those things you had always hoped to do with it when you got one.

That's the story of life. Have all these wants and plans when young but no money or time. Once you have time and money you no longer have the ability to do it.
    mjncad, Doug, BillieS and 6 others like this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Drifterbike For This Useful Post:

BigJim55†(05-23-2018)

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast