Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Double Dog Kennel Build

1. Top | #1
    Big
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Thanks

Double Dog Kennel Build

Some of you might have seen that my wife bought a new puppy to use for search and rescue. It will be a dual purpose search dog, live find/cadaver. She currently runs a dog owned by the search and rescue and really enjoys it. The search and rescue team accepted my wife as a full member and she is taking the next step with this new puppy. She is a stay at home mom so this venture is great for her as it gets her away from the house and some adult interaction. We have two boys(3yrs/5yrs old), so she needs some away time.

Anywho...Now to the kennel build. I searched and found a bazzilion different options for structures, flooring types, fencing etc... I ultimately went with a simple shed roof large enough to overlap the two 10'x10' kennels on all sides by 2'. The floor I sloped towards a natural wet weather ditch that runs behind it. I laid down geotech fabric for the bottom layer then built a 10'x10' frame out of 2x4's and filled with gravel. I then spread river sand over the gravel and washed it into the cracks of the gravel to filled the voids to really lock in the gravel. Tommorow I should get my shipment of 11'X17' Stall Saver Matts in. They are made for horse stalls and are permeable(Not the thick rubber stall matts typically seen at TSC) so that when the dog uses the bathroom it flows through to the gravel/sand bed below, thus keeping the general area clean. When the dog goes #2, simply scrape it up and wash the matting down and all is clean again. So far everything is going very smooth. Drains extremely well, water hose at full stream just dissappears.

More pictures and updates to come.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180520_202502623.jpg   IMG_20180604_132139239.jpg  
    Bubber, BigJim55, mark02tj and 6 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Toro Dingo 322 with many attachments
    -Honda Pioneer 700

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    More pics....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180608_145103280.jpg   IMG_20180609_085820583.jpg   IMG_20180610_183350583.jpg  
    Gizmo2, Bubber, BigJim55 and 6 others like this.
    -2017 2032R, Loader, I-Match, Ken's Extended Top Hook, MMM, JD Ballast Box, Landscape Rake, Tarter Tiller, Boom Pole, Middle Buster/Potato Plow, Drag Harrow, Single Row Hipper, 5' Enorossi sickle bar, 3 point spike drag, Titan 42" Forks, 60" Box Blade, Landpride 3 point spreader.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

4. Top | #3
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    More pics...I know how you all like pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180612_131812607.jpg   IMG_20180612_143250163.jpg  
    Gizmo2, Bubber, BigJim55 and 7 others like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    08-09-2019 @ 03:53 PM
    Thanks
    Nice looking dogs. The puppy is the one you own and the other belong to the search and rescue team correct? I like the way you have the kennels laid out. It must have been a lot of work. I admire people like your wife who give of them selves and they provide a needed service. Good luck.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

7. Top | #5
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    Nice looking dogs. The puppy is the one you own and the other belong to the search and rescue team correct? I like the way you have the kennels laid out. It must have been a lot of work. I admire people like your wife who give of them selves and they provide a needed service. Good luck.
    The larger one in the pic is just a personal protection/companion dog. Her name is Denali. Denali and the new search rescue pup Hudson will stay in the Kennels. My wife runs a dog named Deborah(Not pictured above), it is owned by the search and rescue. Sorry for the confusion.
    Last edited by Big; 06-12-2018 at 10:06 PM.
    BigJim55, mark02tj and Jim Timber like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    That's pretty spiffy!

How much time do they spend out there vs in the house with you?
    BigJim55 and johncanfield like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

9. Top | #7
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Timber View Post
    That's pretty spiffy!

How much time do they spend out there vs in the house with you?
    Hudson (puppy) will spend the majority of the time in the kennel. Denali will only be in the kennel when we are not home. Hudson is technically Denali's brother. Same mother/different father. Denali went through ALLOT of obedience training and bite work training so she's cool to stay in the house.

The new pup Hudson won't be trained in anything for the first 8 months. No correcting of any kind. We want the dogs drive as high as possible, then we focus all that energy and begin training. This is not my training method. I'm not a dog trainer. It's what a NAPWDA Master trainer is telling us to do and will be doing most of the training. By the time the dog is 8 months it will be a nightmare to have inside the house. If it jumps on the couch we can't tell him no because we would want him to in a search application. If he would get into the trash we couldn't correct him for that either, he might be tracking towards a pile of trash with evidence in it and stop because he had been corrected in the past. It's no just finding people that are lost, it may be finding blood spatter in a house that may have been cleaned up but the DNA is still there. Then the father of a dead 2 yr old finally confessed to killing 2yr old. Happened last month. The new pup Hudson is going to be intense, may come inside if the weather get cold/too hot but that's it.
    Last edited by Big; 06-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    Jim Timber and nastorino like this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:42 PM
    Thanks
    Is it too late to add a cesspool ??
    It would be great to have something to capture the run-off during cleanup,,
    Big likes this.
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

11. Top | #9
    Big
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    Is it too late to add a cesspool ??
    It would be great to have something to capture the run-off during cleanup,,

No it's not too late and I have thought about that. Mainly to wash out solid waste as the water and dog urine would just flow through the matting and into the gravel/sand substrate. When it gets smelly than a Clorox wash down would take care of it. What I would do it add a wash out slot in the back of each kennel where a flared PVC boot on a 4" pipe would be. Then run a 4" PVC pipe along backside of the kennel to a double plastic barrel with leach field. A little more than I want to accomplish at the moment. Would be easy to add in the future. Great minds think alike
    Last edited by Big; 06-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Jim Timber likes this.

-Bobcat 325G Mini Ex
    -Honda Pioneer 700

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 11:17 AM
    Thanks
    Wow, an untrained 8 month old GSD is going to be a handful! Glad it's yours and not mine.

The BMC trainer dudes do something similar but not as extreme. They kennel as pups for the first 6 months and only interact with the dogs in the woods so that they're not all bonded to the human and will run "deep" to seek out coon/hogs/whatever and bay or tree them. Once the dog is covering ground and knows that's what's expected of it afield, then they start bonding with them and bringing them inside what have you.

I guess this is the distinction between a working dog and a working family pet. Vinnie works when he's watching kiddo for me, and sniffing out stuff (we're working on locating items, and I hope to get him trained to track specific scent), but he lives on the couch when I'm around or next to the Mrs. or on his chair when I'm not. He sleeps next to me in bed every night, etc. I don't think I could do the hands-off approach; I just want to play with all of them all the time.
    nastorino, TDavis1992 and Big like this.
    5065E MFWD w/553 loader

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast